Oblivion Game Of The Year

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Ok, I have Oblivion Game Of The Year. Never even installed it and I've had it for a good while now. Deciding to get into it before Skyrim launches.

I know the game already looks good. I am going to use QarlsTP3. But my question is, does the QarlsTP3 graphics mod also work with the expansions as well ?

And can QarlsTP3 be used in conjunction with other mods ? I don't want to ruin the experience by adding "too many" mods. Just want the best ones.

Edit: I see there has been updates to Qarls. Do I need them all in order ? Or just the latest one ?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
No clue, but play Oblivion (it is a blast). :)

Don't listen to the haters, its a fun game regardless of the questionable leveling system. I can't believe its been 5 years since this was released! How times flies...

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Just finished downloading QTP3 and improved trees. Any others that is great and will work with these ?

Should I update the game first ? And if I do, will these mods still install ?

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Ugh, I have spend days modding Oblivion, only to never actually play more than a hour of it at a time. Never got very far. Someday but right now I have Gigs of mods for it. Sooo many good ones.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I had something like 30 mods installed at one point and had very few issues at all. Of the issues I did have, Qarl's caused them.

Certain textures would either not load or were not replaced, and would leave a bright pink object. Very annoying.

The original Qarl's really bogs down the game engine as well. I would suggest the "lite" version. Rather than 4x the resolution the textures are only 2x. It really looks just about the same, but has a MUCH lesser impact on your system.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Ugh, I have spend days modding Oblivion, only to never actually play more than a hour of it at a time. Never got very far. Someday but right now I have Gigs of mods for it. Sooo many good ones.

Heh. I was pretty much the same way. The modding was the fun part...

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

So do I update the game "before" installing mods ?

Edit: I see since it is the game of the year version that includes the expansions, it states this in the Readme....

Version 1.2.0416

So am I to assume the game is "already" updated out of the box ?

Last edited:

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
IMO, the mods aren't really worth your time. They're mostly a pain in the ass to get working right, and most of them won't work together. If you have the steam version, you'll have even more fun getting them to work.

Just play the game; it's good enough on its own.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Use the QTP3 "redemized" (something like that) version. It has basically the same quality as the original with much less performance hit.

What you'll want to do is install QTP3 first. Then any other mods which alter the same files will simply overwrite it. I'd also highly recommend getting Wrye Bash and using it as your main mod manager/installer. It can show you when mods have conflicting file and lets you set an install order so you know which files are active in the game.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for the info guys. That was more helpful than you realize.

Downloading a lot of mods now.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Shasta Hawk

Feb 26, 2011
No clue, but play Oblivion (it is a blast). :)

Don't listen to the haters, its a fun game regardless of the questionable leveling system. I can't believe its been 5 years since this was released! How times flies...

I have Oblivion on the 360 and I can say that is the best rpg, if not the best game, I've ever played. You're doing yourself an injustice for holding out so long

Last edited:

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Still downloading a few mods. QTP3 is running fine. I think. At least the textures look like it does in screenshots.

Nice shots you posted there dennilfloss.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
The most Oblivion fun for me was wandering around siteseeing. The game itself was repetitave and boring. Best bet was the Dark Brotherhood storyline, which was actually written by a clever designer.

Oblivion was off the hard drive in two months flat here, and that's only because I was stubborn. It's only on again now so I can play Nehrim.

Of course, ymmv, but the game was horribly hyped up for aspects that it did not deliver on. Classic case of reviewers being shallow....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The most Oblivion fun for me was wandering around siteseeing. The game itself was repetitave and boring. Best bet was the Dark Brotherhood storyline, which was actually written by a clever designer.

Oblivion was off the hard drive in two months flat here, and that's only because I was stubborn. It's only on again now so I can play Nehrim.

Of course, ymmv, but the game was horribly hyped up for aspects that it did not deliver on. Classic case of reviewers being shallow....

Most of the quests were pretty good, if you picked one line and stuck with it.
The thieves guild had a neat ending. And the painting and dream worlds were cool without being too long.

But if you were really bored you shoulda went with Shivering Isles. Cool shit there.