Obituary: Bernard Ebbers, convicted of orchestrating WorldCom fraud, dead at 78

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I almost took a job with worldcom in their compuserve devision, was offered a position but they couldn't compete with what SBC(southwestern bell, now ATT.) offered me, I would have had to use my personal car for a field tech and luckily for me I chose sbc and I still have that job, at least for now tho I have moved several times to keep my job

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Well, sometimes the rich guys do end up paying for their crimes.

Condolences to the family, but he screwed over a lot of people.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My brother lives in the big Broadlands development in Ashburn, VA. It was still in development (still is) when I first visited him there and on the way into the development is AOL headquarters, with WorldCom right next door. The next time I visited WorldCom was abandoned and stayed abandoned for a surprisingly long time considering the strategic location and real estate value. All around that area are massive data farms. It's really amazing, multiple buildings usually about 2 football field footprint, 3 stories with minimal windows in the front, and heat exchangers all over the roofs. It's a 10 minute drive to Dulles.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Back in the Telecom boom days (late 90s) they (and Enron!) were a HUGE customer of ours. Needless to say, neither ended well.