Obamessiah running away from town hall debates

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
I think CSG needs a wahmbulance. First, the Dems aren't going to run Hillary ruling out the effects of 15 years of talk radio inspired Hillary-hate, and now the candidate has the nerve to run his own campaign the way he wants, not the way the rightwing wants...

You guys are starting to sound like a box full of hungry kittens... Mew!

I thought he was a different kind of politician! Now he only wants to have structured joint appearances? Why, if his supposed "different type of politics" is true, is he following the same old politics? Could it be is same old politics campaign manager? Hmmm.... Obama is no different than the rest of what the Ds offer except that he has been successful at fooling people into believing he's different when in the past the libs couldn't get that job done.

I'm so sick of hearing this. As I've said repeatedly before: His appeal to 'a different kind of politics' refers to refraining from pandering to the base, the 50% +1 ideal of the Bush administration, the character assassination, things like that. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not he goes to stupid town hall meetings with McCain.

Going for 'a different kind of politics' does not mean that he has to be an idiot in his campaign.

You have to remember that when you say different to an idiot the idiot thinks he knows what you mean.

Edit: Check this bolded part out:

"I thought he was a different kind of politician! Now he only wants to have structured joint appearances? Why, if his supposed "different type of politics" is true, is he following the same old politics? Could it be is same old politics campaign manager? Hmmm.... Obama is no different than the rest of what the Ds offer except that he has been successful at fooling people into believing he's different when in the past the libs couldn't get that job done."

Right there he admits he's different.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The nerve of that guy, negotiating with his opponent from a position of strength. It's as if he was in some sort of race to win something!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
The nerve of that guy, negotiating with his opponent from a position of strength. It's as if he was in some sort of race to win something!

:laugh:

Seriously though, sully, what's happening here is that Obama is breaking the traditional partisan rules. The first of which (at least according to Republicans) is that Democrats are always supposed to be milquetoasts.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
So, for those who can't present a real argument without the trash - please.

STFU.

or man up and say what it is that you have a beef with....

The day you get a straight answer our of CAD is that the day that a black man becomes . . . er when pigs fly. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Perknose

STFU.

The day you get a straight answer our of CAD is that the day that a black man becomes . . . er when pigs fly. ;)

:roll: I've presented stuff that takes a position against Obama. The problem is that he is so short on specifics for most things it's difficult to know where exactly he stands. But keep on believing in Obamessiah and his claims of hope and change if it makes you feel better. :)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

:roll: I've presented stuff that takes a position against Obama. The problem is that he is so short on specifics for most things it's difficult to know where exactly he stands. But keep on believing in Obamessiah and his claims of hope and change if it makes you feel better. :)

He is as specific on his policies as any of the presidential candidates are. How long until we have dispensed with that smear as well?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

STFU.

Short on specifics? What issuse?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Tab

STFU.

Well, for one as noted in a different thread - where does his "middle class" start and end. But that isn't really what this thread is about. :)

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

STFU.

Well, for one as noted in a different thread - where does his "middle class" start and end. But that isn't really what this thread is about. :)

Okay, then why'd you bring it up?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

STFU.

Okay, then why'd you bring it up?

I was responding to perktroll. :)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic

Seriously though, sully, what's happening here is that Obama is breaking the traditional partisan rules. The first of which (at least according to Republicans) is that Democrats are always supposed to be milquetoasts.

For some reason I can't help but compare this to the war campaign Ulysses S. Grant fought versus the Confederates to end the Civil War.

Sure, the Confederates thought it was a rotten, dishonourable move for Grant to use the heft of his superior numbers to drive them nonstop into exhaustion - but you know what? To hell with fighting toe to toe for a couple of hours and then mutually calling for a break to rest. Use your advantages - there's a war to be be won here. Control when and where the battles are joined and you'll win that war.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

For some reason I can't help but compare this to the war campaign Ulysses S. Grant fought versus the Confederates to end the Civil War.

Sure, the Confederates thought it was a rotten, dishonourable move for Grant to use the heft of his superior numbers to drive them nonstop into exhaustion - but you know what? To hell with fighting toe to toe for a couple of hours and then mutually calling for a break to rest. Use your advantages - there's a war to be be won here. Control when and where the battles are joined and you'll win that war.

A good student of Sun Tzu here. :)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Isn't it politics as usual to deny as many debates as you can.

Change change change, or not.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi
Isn't it politics as usual to deny as many debates as you can.

Change change change, or not.

No, it's that the candidate in the lead wants to limit his opponent's chance to get back in the race. Again you people seem to think that in order to want to change politics Obama needs to acquiesce to any demand placed upon him. You should read what Obama has actually said himself about what change he's talking about instead of just making up a definition and deciding he doesn't meet it.

Not that you will, but you should.

Nov 30, 2006
Obama's a great orator...but that alone doesn't give us much insight into what kind of person he his. I want to see Obama think on his feet. What's he got to be afraid of? ...another 'guns and bibles' slip of the tongue?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
If I keep saying that Senator Obama is afraid of a live debate with Senator McCain, maybe some people here will start to believe it!

Sorry, but I don't think anyone's buying it.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
One thing that strikes me as odd here is that I don't think anyone is going to dispute that plenty of debates between Obama and McCain will happen between now and November. Does it really matter that much where and how these debates take place as long as they are civil and informative? Isn't it the debates themselves that really matter? I read about this stuff over the weekend and decided to the just shrug my shoulders and wait for something more important to come along. Is this really that big of a deal for a lot of people? If so then why? It sounds to me like another case of misplaced priorities.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
IMHO, the people on this thread moaning and groaning about McCain not getting his zillion requested town hall meetings are really starting to sound like a bunch of children at a second grade intellectual level.

First they assert Obama is chicken chicken chicken

Then when many people explain its smart politics for Obama to limit the number of debates, they come up with we double dog dare you.

At then they come up with we triple dog dare you.

And as far as I am concerned, its time to stop playing this immature game, because the fact is and you can take it to the bank, there will be one town Hall meeting and four debates. And the four debates is one more than we had in 04 already.

You can like it or lump it but thats the way its going to be, end of story.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Obama and McCain are struggling for any advantages they can get, Obama would be foolish to allow McCain cheap publicity when he can force McCain to buy it.

Its simply making smart rather than dumb chess moves, if the shoe were on the other foot, McCain would be doing the same.

When Obama does it its saavy.

When republicans do it its political and sneaky.

Nov 30, 2006
If I keep saying that Senator Obama is afraid of a live debate with Senator McCain, maybe some people here will start to believe it!

Please don't twist my words and use fake quotes from me. I didn't say he was afraid of a live debate...I was talking about the town hall format.

Sorry for the accidental double post if that's your problem....sounds personal.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
IMHO, the people on this thread moaning and groaning for Obama not to accept the requested town hall meetings so his actual policies won't be exposed are really starting to sound like a bunch of children at a second grade intellectual level.

I agree.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
IMHO, the people on this thread moaning and groaning about McCain not getting his zillion requested town hall meetings are really starting to sound like a bunch of children at a second grade intellectual level.

First they assert Obama is chicken chicken chicken

Then when many people explain its smart politics for Obama to limit the number of debates, they come up with we double dog dare you.

At then they come up with we triple dog dare you.

And as far as I am concerned, its time to stop playing this immature game, because the fact is and you can take it to the bank, there will be one town Hall meeting and four debates. And the four debates is one more than we had in 04 already.

You can like it or lump it but thats the way its going to be, end of story.

:thumbsup:

Well put. This whole thread is ridiculous. Everyone just needs to be patient, watch/listen/read the debates, and go on from there. The rest of the stuff in this thread is pointless and distracting from the true issues at hand.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Nice catch :thumbsup: