"Obama's Weakness is Weakness" by Dick Morris

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Oh no, the empty suit monkey is also an intellectual. I guess when he gets to be as worthless as Bush, he will pass America's test and be eligible to win.

the political problem is that intellectualism can come off as a mix of condescension and blowing smoke up people's asses.

(not that the second coming of Jesus cares about such petty concerns like "getting elected," he's obviously above that tripe and is busy with the salvation of humanity)

I think intellectualism only looks like that to people who adopt the sour grapes attitude because they weren't the smartest kid in the class. Intelligence is, unfortunately, something you either have or you don't...and I think the people who don't have it are pretty easy to get on board with the idea that intellectualism is the same thing as elitism. Republicans mock intellect because they get a lot of mileage of out doing so, and they get mileage out of it because you gain a lot of favor with the average person telling them that not being smart makes them better people.

Personally I find the claims of pragmatism and reason coming from some conservatives to be pretty suspect when coupled with anti-intellectualism. You can be one or the other, but you can't be both.

Dont be naive, democrats do the same thing. Except instead of calling the target class intellects they call them the rich.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Oh no, the empty suit monkey is also an intellectual. I guess when he gets to be as worthless as Bush, he will pass America's test and be eligible to win.

the political problem is that intellectualism can come off as a mix of condescension and blowing smoke up people's asses.

(not that the second coming of Jesus cares about such petty concerns like "getting elected," he's obviously above that tripe and is busy with the salvation of humanity)

I think intellectualism only looks like that to people who adopt the sour grapes attitude because they weren't the smartest kid in the class. Intelligence is, unfortunately, something you either have or you don't...and I think the people who don't have it are pretty easy to get on board with the idea that intellectualism is the same thing as elitism. Republicans mock intellect because they get a lot of mileage of out doing so, and they get mileage out of it because you gain a lot of favor with the average person telling them that not being smart makes them better people.

Personally I find the claims of pragmatism and reason coming from some conservatives to be pretty suspect when coupled with anti-intellectualism. You can be one or the other, but you can't be both.

Dont be naive, democrats do the same thing. Except instead of calling the target class intellects they call them the rich.

Did I say they didn't? As a Democrat, I don't like THAT behavior any more than I like what the Republicans do.

Now how about commenting instead of just trying to deflect attention elsewhere? Clearly you don't like it when Democrats foster anger at the rich, so what do you think of the Republicans and their anti-science and anti-intellectual positions?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Intellectualism is what you want it to be, your programming as to what it is and implies.

Obama is smart, but what he really is is audacious. He has the chutzpa to imagine that we really want change and the courage to offer himself as a agent. Obama has the courage and the faith to trust in me, my dreams and my ideals. He is saying yes to hope.

"In the sea there are riches beyond compare, but if you seek safety it's on the shore." A saying

Barak has baraka.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Did I say they didn't? As a Democrat, I don't like THAT behavior any more than I like what the Republicans do.

Now how about commenting instead of just trying to deflect attention elsewhere? Clearly you don't like it when Democrats foster anger at the rich, so what do you think of the Republicans and their anti-science and anti-intellectual positions?

hehe fair enough.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Intellect and Wealth are 2 quite different things.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski

Lots of dumbass self made millionairs out there?

If you bring in trust fund babies Ill smack you. Lots more people make their wealth and money than recieve it through inheritance.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

If you bring in trust fund babies Ill smack you. Lots more people make their wealth and money than recieve it through inheritance.

Lots of poor (or not extravagantly wealthy) intellects, more like it

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I agree. And for what it's worth, I think most rich people worked incredibly hard to get there (Paris Hilton notwithstanding) and dismissing them all as a bunch of dilettantes who fell into money is pretty silly. The only reason I support progressive taxation is that's the only way things are going to work, but I don't think we need to punish or demonize the rich.

It's actually pretty interesting, these two issues are really the same thing. Our country has, for some reason, entered a phase where accomplishment is not what it used to be. Everybody wants a flat social structure, where everyone is just as good as everyone else and that the opinion of the random guy on the street is just as valuable as the opinion of the world class expert. Which is fine, I'm all for equality, except that along the way we forgot that some differences are based on actual qualifications, and wishing those qualifications away doesn't change reality. Now that isn't always the case, some "intellectuals" really are just elitist without much reason to be, and some rich folks deserve it less than the single mom working a low paying job. But I don't think we should delude ourselves into thinking that's always the way it is.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I agree. And for what it's worth, I think most rich people worked incredibly hard to get there (Paris Hilton notwithstanding) and dismissing them all as a bunch of dilettantes who fell into money is pretty silly. The only reason I support progressive taxation is that's the only way things are going to work, but I don't think we need to punish or demonize the rich.

It's actually pretty interesting, these two issues are really the same thing. Our country has, for some reason, entered a phase where accomplishment is not what it used to be. Everybody wants a flat social structure, where everyone is just as good as everyone else and that the opinion of the random guy on the street is just as valuable as the opinion of the world class expert. Which is fine, I'm all for equality, except that along the way we forgot that some differences are based on actual qualifications, and wishing those qualifications away doesn't change reality. Now that isn't always the case, some "intellectuals" really are just elitist without much reason to be, and some rich folks deserve it less than the single mom working a low paying job. But I don't think we should delude ourselves into thinking that's always the way it is.

Exactly. I may not have made my point as well as intended. But I was trying to point out that intellects and the rich are typically very intelligent people.

And for the record I do support progressive income taxation. It is unfortunately the only way to truely fund govt and level the playing field. I just dont support a burdensome scheme. I'd prefer we keep everybody lower than we currently are.

As for the flat social structure. Pretty much. A good example of this on the internet are blogs by people who typically dont know wtf they are talking about. Yet people hold them on a pedestal to disprove the experts.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

actually that is what most people - believers in the Book - apparently think - as they picture a little helpless babe in a manger
- Well, he grew up, got sacrificed for no Human Reason, Came Back is 2K years old since then and is Returning to Kick some Ass, or so the Propaganda reads .. the "saving" was supposed to be done before then :p

============

Intellectualism is what you want it to be, your programming as to what it is and implies.

Obama is smart, but what he really is is audacious. He has the chutzpa to imagine that we really want change and the courage to offer himself as a agent. Obama has the courage and the faith to trust in me, my dreams and my ideals. He is saying yes to hope.

"In the sea there are riches beyond compare, but if you seek safety it's on the shore." A saying

Barak has baraka.

Unfortunately Obama Obviously lacks Vision, Class and Savy that experience brings. He is gonna Drown as he is in Over his head .. and Hillary is both the Problem and the Solution as he cannot seem to get around Her. You think he will have an easier time with McLame who will allow His Minions to Play Dirty - unlike Hillary?

glug glug glug .. your hopes
:moon:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Barak has baraka.

I'll give Obama credit for being smart enough to play people like you with vague promises of "hope" and "change" and having people buy into it hook, line, and sinker despite the complete lack of reality to actually back it up.

I didn't mean intellectualism as an insult, quite the opposite. he just needs to avoid falling into the trap of being portrayed as yet another democratic ivy league limp wrist like Kerry fell into in '04.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Exactly. I may not have made my point as well as intended. But I was trying to point out that intellects and the rich are typically very intelligent people.

And for the record I do support progressive income taxation. It is unfortunately the only way to truely fund govt and level the playing field. I just dont support a burdensome scheme. I'd prefer we keep everybody lower than we currently are.

As for the flat social structure. Pretty much. A good example of this on the internet are blogs by people who typically dont know wtf they are talking about. Yet people hold them on a pedestal to disprove the experts.

I agree pretty much with Rain. However, many Wealthy people are not really Intellectual. It doesn't take much Intellect to make money, at least not of the same level that garners one to be called an "Intellectual".

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
Unfortunately Obama Obviously lacks Vision, Class and Savy that experience brings. He is gonna Drown as he is in Over his head .. and Hillary is both the Problem and the Solution as he cannot seem to get around Her. You think he will have an easier time with McLame who will allow His Minions to Play Dirty - unlike Hillary?

glug glug glug .. your hopes
:moon:

Yaknow... I don't think the Dem party would be as split over this primary election process as it is, if it wasn't for the fact that the Hillary supporters continually spout nothing but lies and unsubstantiated character attacks against Obama and those who have made the EDUCATED choice to support him.

But wait... did I drink the kool-aid here or was this Hillary hate? While you ignore Obama's known credentials and policy positions, and spout silly platitudes and revere Hillary as both "The Problem and The Solution"?

Seriously, if you Hillary nuts, in your zeal to get Bill re-elected for a 3rd term, want to split the party and hand the election to McLame and the Pubs... keep it up.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'll give Obama credit for being smart enough to play people like you with vague promises of "hope" and "change" and having people buy into it hook, line, and sinker despite the complete lack of reality to actually back it up.

I didn't mean intellectualism as an insult, quite the opposite. he just needs to avoid falling into the trap of being portrayed as yet another democratic ivy league limp wrist like Kerry fell into in '04.

Kind of like how you think you sound smart but aren't?

"Hope" is an end to Bush and the Pubs.
"Change" is finally after all these years having a POTUS whose last name isn't Bush or Clinton.

There's no hook, line, and sinker about it. You just can't see the obvious, but have no problem with being condescending about your ignorance.

And last I checked, Hillary went to Yale Law.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic

I don't think I sound smart. I just don't get why the necessity for Obama to not get portrayed as yet another ivy tower liberal is such a controversial idea that it's worth attacking people over.

"Change" is finally after all these years having a POTUS whose last name isn't Bush or Clinton.

There's no hook, line, and sinker about it. You just can't see the obvious, but have no problem with being condescending about your ignorance.

hillary cannot win the nomination, why are you obsessed with talking about her?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I don't think I sound smart. I just don't get why the necessity for Obama to not get portrayed as yet another ivy tower liberal is such a controversial idea that it's worth attacking people over.

Why are you obsessed with constantly talking about Obama?

The "Ivy Tower" slam is just the latest "let's deviate entirely from reality" attack on Obama. Both Clintons went to ivy league schools (Yale Law). Bush was an ivy leaguer (Yale) -- does that make him a liberal? Bush Sr. went to Yale -- is he an "ivy tower liberal"?

If you think you're being attacked, it's because you start it by attacking others.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

She may not be able to "win" the nomination for Herself - but she can sure Screw things up for Obama who cannot "win" it clearly either

the Problem is that *perception* will turn BAD for either eventual Candidate when the Devision eventually goes to the Back Rooms of the Convention and is Decided by the Stupor Delegates ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

because this entire thread is about Obama? :confused:

I give up. I'm not really sure how many times I can make the exact same point that Obama needs to be careful about not letting the republicans define him.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
McCain is a good guy and an American patriot, but let's not kid ourselves, he's not very intelligent. While no one can match the lack of intellectual curiosity of a George W. Bush, McCain isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed and it seems his age will without a doubt catch up to him, if not before the election certainly during any potential 4 year term. Think about it this way; the guy doesn't know the difference between Shi'a and Sunni, and he portrays himself as strong on foreign policy. No.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

because this entire thread is about Obama? :confused:

I give up. I'm not really sure how many times I can make the exact same point that Obama needs to be careful about not letting the republicans define him.

I think you understand this completely wrongly. Republicans will always try to define Democrats as this or that. Their success is not in their effort which will always be consistent and insistent. It will depend on whether voters what or do not what to buy their lies. When it is more important for the voter to get even with people smarter than they, they will buy into the Ivory Tower crap and vote for a dunce like Bush. But when they see their country dying before their eyes because they were stupid, they may change their mind and decide they better get somebody running the show that has a brain.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin

She may not be able to "win" the nomination for Herself - but she can sure Screw things up for Obama who cannot "win" it clearly either

the Problem is that *perception* will turn BAD for either eventual Candidate when the Devision eventually goes to the Back Rooms of the Convention and is Decided by the Stupor Delegates ;)

Whoever loses the Democratic race will sing the praises of the winner and call for the party to unite. Right now we're airing our differences. When somebody wins the party will unite and Obama will again be a 'magic' leader. Oh you of little faith. ;)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
McCain's weakness is that he belongs to the same political party as Bush.

Definitely a "moderate" position there.

Actually, it is. While there are plenty of reasonable, moderate Republicans in this country, very few of them seem to hold national office. The strike against McCain isn't that he's a Republican, it's that he's a Republican who's managed to capture his party's nomination for President. Unless the leadership of the Republican party has dramatically changed in 4 years, I don't give a high percentage to a normal person getting the nomination in the Republican party.

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
I think intellectualism and compassion is a weakness for democrats, white democrats.

But Barrack for the most part is a black guy. Of course he is not black or white. Nor is he a rabid muslim. But it seems America and Obama are content with the "America has a black friend" description. So being that he is a black guy, I just don't see intellectualism and compassion being a weakness for a black person.

No the weakness for Barack Obama is not weakness...his weakness is being black. When people hear Obama speak, they dont hear a pompous ass, they hear "he speaks so well". When people hear Barrack talk about compassion, they think MLK. At end of the day Barrack problem is that he needs to get votes from white males. Whatever Obama can do, the white male thinks their 3rd daughter could do better.

Race is the key. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.