Obama's speech on race in America

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Modelworks
For the curious, taking Gods name in vain does not mean saying only God + profanity, it is any time you presume to suggest what God should do or what God should think.

Are you speaking for God? If not, then you're guilty of what you're accusing others of doing.

He was correcting for the other poster's incorrect parsing of the statement's grammar and his subsequent interpretation based on it.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Here's a link with the text of the speech (which closely matches the presentation).

http://my.barackobama.com/page...samgrahamfelsen/gGBbrc

I like the speech. I think it fairly responds to the issues and shows that his position is progressive, not regressive like his preacher's and grandmother's. Ideally he'd have gone farther, but it was long as it was. I invite you to actually read or listen to it, and to think about it.

In the end, you decide, and the consideration you put into these matters affects the type of leaders and politics you end up with.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bottom line (and the Obama fan boys are not going to like hearing this) is that his presidency is effectively dead. He can make all the speeches in the world (and he's a great speaker by the way), but when the 529 orgs start blasting lots of these tirades on TV, followed by him saying he can no more disown the reverend than he can the whole black community, it will essentially validate and enforce the discomfort that a big portion of the voting population has with electing a black man named "Barack Obama". Prior to this stuff, they kind of set aside that discomfort because he seems like such a genuine guy when you hear him speak..... but when you see the images of the 'reverend' and then hear Obama saying he won't disown him, I'd bet a LOT of people will see him as they have other black candidates in the past (Sharpton, Jesse etc) instead of the "crossover" candidate offering hope.

Sure, this is all speculation on my part, but watch the polls over the next few days, he's going to tank.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
seems like Obama supporters thought the speech was orgasmicly good, almost Ronpaulbot-esque, and Obama haters yawned.

status quo in politics is maintained.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: waggy
he is great at giving speech's. far better then anyone else i can remember.

i just loved it when he throws his grandmother under the bus. tells everyone how she would call people racial names lol

Yeah, that was real swell of Obama considering his grandparents paid for his private school education.

Meanwhile

About that same time, another letter crossed the Pacific, this one heading to Africa. It was from Barack Obama Sr. to his mother, Sarah Hussein Onyango Obama. Though the letter didn't go into great detail, it said he had met a young woman named Ann (not Stanley). There wasn't much on how they met or what the attraction was, but he announced their plans to wed.

The Dunhams weren't happy. Stanley Ann's prospective father-in-law was furious. He wrote the Dunhams "this long, nasty letter saying that he didn't approve of the marriage," Obama recounted his mother telling him in "Dreams." "He didn't want the Obama blood sullied by a white woman."

Barak went on to say:

"In the white community, the path to a more perfect union means acknowledging that what ails the African-American community does not just exist in the minds of black people; that the legacy of discrimination and current incidents of discrimination, while less overt than in the past ? are real and must be addressed ?"

How does the good Reverend Wright's "The US of KKK-A", "white greed", "Israel is a dirty word", "the government created AIDs to kill black people" among just a few comments help with race relations? That's not Wright "elevating what's wrong with America" as Obama put it. That's "blame whitey" rhetoric from the word go. And Obama echoed the "blame whitey" in his speech.

To me, Obama isn't showing the politics of hope or change. He's showing the standard politician double-talk and I have to question his judgement in light of the fact that he doesn't have a record to stand on.

you just don`t get it do you.....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Sawyer
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

Your example makes absolutely no sense.
Except to say I really think you have no clue!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Obama has basically said his minister can't change and Obama can't reject him anymore than his Grandma who was of another generation. This is quite a contradiction from a guy whose mantra is "Change" and "Yes We Can!" - and whose wife shouts Obama will demand "we leave out comfort zone".

Obama is a phony and it was obvious from the start to anyone who knows liberation theology/Marxism etc. He is now playing a race card while urging everyine else not too. His speeches are just marketing since he and his handlers know the unhappiness that exists with the political staus quo and the poor appeal of Hillary (and it took no experts to figure that out). He has spoken in vague terms of optimism that the uncritical have invested their emotions in (and libs are emo feel-thinkers).

His success with all voting groups illustrated that America would easily vote for black president they had confidence in. Unfortunately Obama and the media that helped create him have set that all back.

your kidding right????

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Obama has basically said his minister can't change and Obama can't reject him anymore than his Grandma who was of another generation. This is quite a contradiction from a guy whose mantra is "Change" and "Yes We Can!" - and whose wife shouts Obama will demand "we leave out comfort zone".

Obama is a phony and it was obvious from the start to anyone who knows liberation theology/Marxism etc. He is now playing a race card while urging everyine else not too. His speeches are just marketing since he and his handlers know the unhappiness that exists with the political staus quo and the poor appeal of Hillary (and it took no experts to figure that out). He has spoken in vague terms of optimism that the uncritical have invested their emotions in (and libs are emo feel-thinkers).

His success with all voting groups illustrated that America would easily vote for black president they had confidence in. Unfortunately Obama and the media that helped create him have set that all back.

your kidding right????

He preaches Unity yet the church he has belonged to for twenty years, preaches the opposite.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: loki8481
seems like Obama supporters thought the speech was orgasmicly good, almost Ronpaulbot-esque, and Obama haters yawned.

You obviously haven't looked at the latest polls.

Obama's lead over Clinton narrows: Reuters poll

I blame Hillary.

who does that bitch think she is, forcing him to go to this church for 20 years? :frown:

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I blame Hillary.

who does that bitch think she is, forcing him to go to this church for 20 years? :frown:

...because she doesn't just denounce, she REJECTS comments like that...as long as they are coming from Obama supporters...;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

I blame Hillary.

...because she doesn't just denounce, she REJECTS comments like that...as long as they are coming from Obama supporters...;)

ah, but can she also repudiate and make julienned fries? :p

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I just realized why this speech was pure genius. Nobody can disagree with "Let's bring up the race issue and talk about what we usually only do in private company." But can you imagine McCain actually talking about the race issue, contributing to the debate? He has nothing to bring to the table and even if he did it would help Obama to discuss it. Obama has also framed the Wright issue in the larger picture, which some are criticizing but I also think is smart because he is saying Wright's stupid comments come from bitterness of a past generation. People ask why this wouldn't be excused had it been a white racist, and I say it is simple. One is the guilty party who has not yet apologized, and one is the victim who has not yet forgiven. We aren't all guilty but you certainly are if you are a white racist of Wright's generation. So while Obama's use of the race issue was good political maneuvering, I believe it was justified here.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just more Democratic double speak and victomology. Obama went to church there because he wanted to be told he is a victim and the white man is his enemy. He liked what he heard and kept going to church there. How is this different from going to a Klu-Klux Klan Meeting? Hate speech is hate speech.

Cant we all just disarm America and get along?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird
Just more Democratic double speak and victomology. Obama went to church there because he wanted to be told he is a victim and the white man is his enemy. He liked what he heard and kept going to church there. How is this different from going to a Klu-Klux Klan Meeting? Hate speech is hate speech.

Cant we all just disarm America and get along?

ORLY :) lol

And about 'victimology', why is Wright so expressive about the black community lifting itself up out of the gutter, and of furthering self-reliance overall? I swear, some people here a sound bite or two and think that that's all there is.

You do realize, that out of the tens of thousands of hours of speaking that this man does, that the inflammatory / paranoid / bitter stuff amounts to only a pale fraction compared to the overall message of overcoming adversity and living by faith and works?

Do I think Wright is a bit too stuck in the past, and probably still carrying old resentments? Hell yeah! Do I think he should get on with his life in that regard? Definitely. Do I think that any sane person can compare this to the KKK? Fuck no, you'd have to be an absolute brainless moron to think that. I've known people in AB/AC/Confederate Hammer, and trust me, they don't talk about things in humane terms whatsoever. I've heard people brag about murders, rapings, and beatings of minorities, and the near-universal support of race war, extermination, or exile of all non-whites and jews from the nation.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Farang
I just realized why this speech was pure genius. Nobody can disagree with "Let's bring up the race issue and talk about what we usually only do in private company." But can you imagine McCain actually talking about the race issue, contributing to the debate? He has nothing to bring to the table and even if he did it would help Obama to discuss it. Obama has also framed the Wright issue in the larger picture, which some are criticizing but I also think is smart because he is saying Wright's stupid comments come from bitterness of a past generation. People ask why this wouldn't be excused had it been a white racist, and I say it is simple. One is the guilty party who has not yet apologized, and one is the victim who has not yet forgiven. We aren't all guilty but you certainly are if you are a white racist of Wright's generation. So while Obama's use of the race issue was good political maneuvering, I believe it was justified here.

That's no excuse for infecting the next generation with his hate. This is the same as excusing a child molester because he was molested as a child. You're not going to effect true change preaching that attitude and Obama is smart enough to know that.

The end does not justify the means.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

That's no excuse for infecting the next generation with his hate. This is the same as excusing a child molester because he was molested as a child. You're not going to effect true change preaching that attitude and Obama is smart enough to know that.

Obama didn't excuse it any more than using the same excuse for two different things, one of which is child molesting, makes the other thing being excused the moral equivalence of pedophilia. You are using bad assumptions and then bad logic to imply your own personal bias and it's bull shit.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Obama didn't excuse it any more than using the same excuse for two different things, one of which is child molesting, makes the other thing being excused the moral equivalence of pedophilia. You are using bad assumptions and then bad logic to imply your own personal bias and it's bull shit.

I call bullshit on your calling bullshit.

I'm making a comparison. If you're molested as a child your more likley to molest children when you grow up. If your Dad was a wife beater, your more likley to grow up to be a wife beater. If your taught from a young age that the majority of your problems are caused by white oppression then your more likely to grow up believeing it. That is the way racism works, it's taught. It doesn't matter if your black or white. I taught my kids that we're not any better or more deserving then blacks or any other race, but conversely they're not any better or more deserving then us.

I don't see how black value churches are being helpful in improving race relations, in fact over the long term I think they're doing as much if not more harm then good.

Edit: When I say "black value churches", I mean ones in the style of the church Obama belonged to.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

To me, Obama isn't showing the politics of hope or change. He's showing the standard politician double-talk and I have to question his judgement in light of the fact that he doesn't have a record to stand on.

QFT

Neither one of them have a long record to stand on but I'll take Obama's over Clinton's. I'll also take either of them over what we know all too well from McCain.

That's the thing though, Obama doesn't have a record. Bobby Jindal (the new young Louisiana Governor) has done more in a couple of months as Governor than Obama has done his entire career. Obama's appeal seems to be that he is a good speaker with a blank slate but not much of a resume to show that he's able to get anything done.

Obama claims he the candidate of change. Where's the change? What did he do to clean up corruption in Illinois? It looks like nothing as he instead got in bed with Rezco. Other than being a man of mixed heritage running for office, what has he done for race relations? Given that he attended a church with the mad conspiracy ranting of Rev Wright for 20 years, even that looks dubious now especially after this speech.

Bobby Jindal > Obama :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I'm making a comparison. If you're molested as a child your more likley to molest children when you grow up. If your Dad was a wife beater, your more likley to grow up to be a wife beater. If your taught from a young age that the majority of your problems are caused by white oppression then your more likely to grow up believeing it. That is the way racism works, it's taught. It doesn't matter if your black or white. I taught my kids that we're not any better or more deserving then blacks or any other race, but conversely they're not any better or more deserving then us.

I don't see how black value churches are being helpful in improving race relations, in fact over the long term I think they're doing as much if not more harm then good.

Edit: When I say "black value churches", I mean ones in the style of the church Obama belonged to.

What you mean is 'black value churches' in the style you imagine Obama's church belongs to. You actually know very little about his church if you haven't attended over a period of time and have some real as opposed to purported information which you glom onto because it fits your needs. NPR did a thingi on his church today from the perspective of a number of actual members who say the notion the church is radical is BS. Apparently also it is full of professors other intellectuals and professionals. Forgive me if I don't run with you screaming off the top of a cliff.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

What you mean is 'black value churches' in the style you imagine Obama's church belongs to. You actually know very little about his church if you haven't attended over a period of time and have some real as opposed to purported information which you glom onto because it fits your needs. NPR did a thingi on his church today from the perspective of a number of actual members who say the notion the church is radical is BS. Apparently also it is full of professors other intellectuals and professionals. Forgive me if I don't run with you screaming off the top of a cliff.

I don't need to "imagine" it, they have videos. Those same members you speak so highly of also took the 12 points of what the "black value system" entails off their main page and hid it. How "intellectual" and "professional" of them.

Hey, I'm just a dumb farmer who's "unashamedly white and unapolagetically Christian" and I call it the way I see it. I guess we'll all be jumping of the cliff together.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
1EZduzit, I was just going to post that as well. People won't have to "imagine" anything, you can rest assured that various 527 groups will plaster the rantings and ravings of the racist loonie "pastor" all over the TV come election time. Like I said, Obamarama = done.