Obama's speech on race in America

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
The speech was fantastic.

I read comments on here and get really frustrated, then I remember that the demographics of Anandtech is very young, technical-minded white males. That's not exactly Obama's base of support.

I would never support Obama because he's just another lying politician and not some fvcking messiah, savior that America needs like Obotsma think he is. As more skeletons come out of the closet people would realize that he's just another partisan politician tool.

Please tell me the name of the perfect presidential candidate you are supporting.

PS - The term 'obotsma' is lame.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sawyer
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

You know what happens when white people preach hate? They get embraced and celebrated for it. Jerry Fallwell said that the homos were partly responsible for 9/11... and yet there's John McCain giving a commencement speech at his university. John Hagee says that New Orleans was destroyed by god because of a gay parade there... and he's right up on stage with McCain shaking his hand. Pat Robertson says Asians look like white people with too much plastic surgery and then sits there like an asshole doing the china-man slanty eye thing. Yet he's invited to speak at the Republican Convention.

So, that's what happens when white people say these sorts of stupid and hateful things. They get an invitation to join John McCain on the campaign trail.

Nice reply! :thumbsup: I think Sawyer has his answer now. ;)

Exactly my point, this is what is wrong with politics, and both sides point fingers and ignore their shit on their own side.

Don't throw rocks in glass houses.

I don't have a side and I don't support any of the lying, pandering crooks.

Then WTF are you doing in this forum let alone this thread?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
How about you all take a step back, forget most of the political aspects of this speech, and listen to it at face value? You may hear a man saying some historic words instead of letting your fathers talk through your fingers.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

You know what happens when white people preach hate? They get embraced and celebrated for it. Jerry Fallwell said that the homos were partly responsible for 9/11... and yet there's John McCain giving a commencement speech at his university. John Hagee says that New Orleans was destroyed by god because of a gay parade there... and he's right up on stage with McCain shaking his hand. Pat Robertson says Asians look like white people with too much plastic surgery and then sits there like an asshole doing the china-man slanty eye thing. Yet he's invited to speak at the Republican Convention.

So, that's what happens when white people say these sorts of stupid and hateful things. They get an invitation to join John McCain on the campaign trail.

Exactly my point, this is what is wrong with politics, and both sides point fingers and ignore their shit on their own side.

Interesting topics and good reading, I didn't realize there was a forum rule that you had to have a "side".

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: lopri
Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church?? Obama said. ?Yes.
So he lied before, I guess. Making folks here who defended him (insert what you want) because they thought there was no 'proof' on that.

Yeah, that was the main thing I noticed in the speech also.... as I recall he inserted "potenially" in front of it so he can't technically be called a liar. That was the main if not only reason for this speech, because other then that he said nothing different.

He didn't put anything behind him with this speech IMHO.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
politically necessary speach in the next state to have a primary.

His Bad Judgement on not leaving that Racist church had to be addressed. Some one trying to achieve unity would never be a member of that church and a close donating friend to that black bigot.

He's not his Uncle. You choose your company and He chose Pseudo Reverand Wright. His Judgement was Wrong. To think that Wright is indicative of leaders black churches across the country is assinine, further more calling Wright a biblical scholar and even a Christian is laughable and to some very offensive.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Modeps
How about you all take a step back, forget most of the political aspects of this speech, and listen to it at face value? You may hear a man saying some historic words instead of letting your fathers talk through your fingers.

Or just another politician just saying what the public wants to hear .

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: EXman

His Bad Judgement on not leaving that Racist church had to be addressed. Some one trying to achieve unity would never be a member of that church and a close donating friend to that black bigot.

He's not his Uncle. You choose your company and He chose Pseudo Reverand Wright. His Judgement was Wrong. To think that Wright is indicative of leaders black churches across the country is assinine, further more calling Wright a biblical scholar and even a Christian is laughable and to some very offensive.

This is one of the best posts in this thread. I agree, I know multiple Black preachers and they are nothing like this man, they are real men of faith and God and preach love. This "preacher" is no better than the heads of mosques who spew radical ideas, or any White supremacist who claims to be a man of faith while practicing hate.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: EXman

Agree 100%.
The fact Wright was quoted as saying "Its not God Bless America, its God Damn America", was enough for me.
A pastor who himself openly breaks the ten commandments in church, is not someone I want to be preaching to me or my family.
He should have distanced himself right then and there.

I don't think enough people know what Wright really has said.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Originally posted by: bl4ckfl4g
Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church?? Obama said. ?Yes.
So he lied before, I guess. Making folks here who defended him (insert what you want) because they thought there was no 'proof' on that.

He didn't lie. He said he wasn't there and didn't hear those specific comments. He has heard other controversial comments he disagrees with. He has always said that.
What do you think the 'other controversial' comments are?

I dunno I'm not a psychic or mind reader. I'm sure if he said these controversial remarks he's made others... What exactly are you getting at?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: bl4ckfl4g

He didn't lie. He said he wasn't there and didn't hear those specific comments. He has heard other controversial comments he disagrees with. He has always said that.

Dean Martin: [begins questioning] Mr. Melon, I'm only going to ask you once. Is this your work?
Thornton Melon: I can't lie to you, Dean Martin...Yes, it is.
Dean Martin: I'm completely satisfied.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Interesting topics and good reading, I didn't realize there was a forum rule that you had to have a "side".

Considering you 'don't support any of the lying, pandering crooks' you picked an odd thread to read and post in. Anyway, your question was answered above... Yes

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Why is it odd? This is the big issue and merely another example of the liars in Washington.

Xonoahbin

Aug 16, 2005
I believe Obama is an eloquent person who can put together coherent thoughts concisely.. that being said, I don't think this speech was that great. He didn't have that much power in his voice, it seems to me. Sometimes I think he is simply an impeccable writer and lags a little bit in speaking power in itself. There are certainly people who are more smooth and powerful speakers.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Obama has basically said his minister can't change and Obama can't reject him anymore than his Grandma who was of another generation. This is quite a contradiction from a guy whose mantra is "Change" and "Yes We Can!" - and whose wife shouts Obama will demand "we leave out comfort zone".

Obama is a phony and it was obvious from the start to anyone who knows liberation theology/Marxism etc. He is now playing a race card while urging everyine else not too. His speeches are just marketing since he and his handlers know the unhappiness that exists with the political staus quo and the poor appeal of Hillary (and it took no experts to figure that out). He has spoken in vague terms of optimism that the uncritical have invested their emotions in (and libs are emo feel-thinkers).

His success with all voting groups illustrated that America would easily vote for black president they had confidence in. Unfortunately Obama and the media that helped create him have set that all back.

The only contradiction is the one you manufacture with your bigoted thinking. Obama is not his minister not his Grandmother. He IS the change. He long ago transcended them. He is our tomorrow and our hope, a bridge from the past to the future.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think that the speech would have sounded a lot more powerful had the networks not cut out the applause.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Xonoahbin
I believe Obama is an eloquent person who can put together coherent thoughts concisely.. that being said, I don't think this speech was that great. He didn't have that much power in his voice, it seems to me. Sometimes I think he is simply an impeccable writer and lags a little bit in speaking power in itself. There are certainly people who are more smooth and powerful speakers.

Yup, his minister. Get a clue.

midway

Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks
The fact Wright was quoted as saying "Its not God Bless America, its God Damn America", was enough for me.
A pastor who himself openly breaks the ten commandments in church, is not someone I want to be preaching to me or my family.
psst, your poor grammar skills and lack of Biblical knowledge are showing.

"God damn" is not breaking the 3rd commandment as he is not using it as an interjection, or in vain, it is being used literally by a man who wants God to "damn" America (as in "God needs to bring damnation on this country")

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: midway

"God damn" is not breaking the 3rd commandment as he is not using it as an interjection, or in vain, it is being used literally by a man who wants God to "damn" America (as in "God needs to bring damnation on this country")

Thanks for clarifying that :) That's much better than just breaking a silly commandment. He wants the all powerful benevolent being he believes in to bring damnation to this country! Ah, religion.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Thanks for clarifying that :) That's much better than just breaking a silly commandment. He wants the all powerful benevolent being he believes in to bring damnation to this country! Ah, religion.

I suppose it's too much to ask for you to actually read/listen and comprehend his comments before expressing your opinion on them.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

Trying to insult a poster while also trying to prove your point only makes you look bad, and does nothing to get your point across.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
For the curious, taking Gods name in vain does not mean saying only God + profanity, it is any time you presume to suggest what God should do or what God should think.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
For the curious, taking Gods name in vain does not mean saying only God + profanity, it is any time you presume to suggest what God should do or what God should think.

Are you speaking for God? If not, then you're guilty of what you're accusing others of doing.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Dari

Are you speaking for God? If not, then you're guilty of what you're accusing others of doing.

No, repeating what was said, which is the only exception to using Gods name.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Trying to insult a poster while also trying to prove your point only makes you look bad, and does nothing to get your point across, you son of a bitch.

Fixed