Obama's speech on race in America

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
i think he's in a worse position. 1) he comes off as "black victim" and is complainy and whiney and 2) "I can no more disown him than i can disown the black community" might as well be the mark of death for his presidential run. Whether it be taken out of context or not that line can be used against him very effectively.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Good speech this issue is behind me. I respect Obama for not willing to drop the pastor. One of the most influential mentors in my life was an ardent Lydon LaRouche supporter, I only got out of him bits and pieces of that, which all seemed sane (improving the rail system, for example), but I'm sure never delved into how insane some of his viewpoints were.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Originally posted by: Queasy

To me, Obama isn't showing the politics of hope or change. He's showing the standard politician double-talk and I have to question his judgement in light of the fact that he doesn't have a record to stand on.

QFT

Neither one of them have a long record to stand on but I'll take Obama's over Clinton's. I'll also take either of them over what we know all too well from McCain.

That's the thing though, Obama doesn't have a record. Bobby Jindal (the new young Louisiana Governor) has done more in a couple of months as Governor than Obama has done his entire career. Obama's appeal seems to be that he is a good speaker with a blank slate but not much of a resume to show that he's able to get anything done.

Obama claims he the candidate of change. Where's the change? What did he do to clean up corruption in Illinois? It looks like nothing as he instead got in bed with Rezco. Other than being a man of mixed heritage running for office, what has he done for race relations? Given that he attended a church with the mad conspiracy ranting of Rev Wright for 20 years, even that looks dubious now especially after this speech.

I concur.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Great speech. It was exactly what I was expecting to hear.
No one could have written a better speech targeting what the public wanted to hear.
As a politician he gets an A+

I really would have liked it better if he just came out the first day it all started and made a speech.
Not taken several days to rehearse, rewrite, and analyze what to say.
You never get honesty from a politician with a scheduled speech, its the off the cuff responses that count.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Sawyer
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

You know what happens when white people preach hate? They get embraced and celebrated for it. Jerry Fallwell said that the homos were partly responsible for 9/11... and yet there's John McCain giving a commencement speech at his university. John Hagee says that New Orleans was destroyed by god because of a gay parade there... and he's right up on stage with McCain shaking his hand. Pat Robertson says Asians look like white people with too much plastic surgery and then sits there like an asshole doing the china-man slanty eye thing. Yet he's invited to speak at the Republican Convention.

So, that's what happens when white people say these sorts of stupid and hateful things. They get an invitation to join John McCain on the campaign trail.

Exactly.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The speech was fantastic.

I read comments on here and get really frustrated, then I remember that the demographics of Anandtech is very young, technical-minded white males. That's not exactly Obama's base of support.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
Do you guys even listen to his play on words or does his voice simply soothe you to contempt?

Obama has such genius Oratory that he can take such matters, blame them on his mentor, blame his mentor's twisted views on white America, and Israeli relations, and then come to a complete tangent and give the feel-good lecture on how we have to face our current troubles as not the segregated country we are, but as Americans.

Can the man do any wrong?

Yes he can. We're just waiting for it to surface. The best argument against him to date has been that he's associated with someone who has serious issues with America. Obama served a number of years at a state level before he came to the Senate. If in that time he was seen to let this kind of talk affect his personal beliefs, would not Fox or Rush have searched for them? Yet they remain curiously quiet in that regard.

Personally I think it past time he addressed the racial issues in this contest. He's been trying to take the high road and not talk in terms of race, but the country as a whole. It was prudent to discuss this and speak plainly. That he did well cannot be held against him.

If Fox, Rush, or whatever soap-box peddlers have muck on him, they'd never release it now. They tried to stop the Obama Bandwagon by "supporting" Hillary, and to no avail.

The perfect time to release such information would be after he wins the nomination and directs his attention to McCain.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wonder if the same people defending Obama would defend a White politician going to a church where similar rhetoric was been preached by a White man? For some reason I don't think so....

And this shows the sad state of affairs in American politics when this guy, Hillary and McCain are the best we can put up.

You know what happens when white people preach hate? They get embraced and celebrated for it. Jerry Fallwell said that the homos were partly responsible for 9/11... and yet there's John McCain giving a commencement speech at his university. John Hagee says that New Orleans was destroyed by god because of a gay parade there... and he's right up on stage with McCain shaking his hand. Pat Robertson says Asians look like white people with too much plastic surgery and then sits there like an asshole doing the china-man slanty eye thing. Yet he's invited to speak at the Republican Convention.

So, that's what happens when white people say these sorts of stupid and hateful things. They get an invitation to join John McCain on the campaign trail.

Nice reply! :thumbsup: I think Sawyer has his answer now. ;)

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Nothing has changed. I'll still vote for him. The people that wouldn't before still won't .

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Obama has basically said his minister can't change and Obama can't reject him anymore than his Grandma who was of another generation. This is quite a contradiction from a guy whose mantra is "Change" and "Yes We Can!" - and whose wife shouts Obama will demand "we leave out comfort zone".

Obama is a phony and it was obvious from the start to anyone who knows liberation theology/Marxism etc. He is now playing a race card while urging everyine else not too. His speeches are just marketing since he and his handlers know the unhappiness that exists with the political staus quo and the poor appeal of Hillary (and it took no experts to figure that out). He has spoken in vague terms of optimism that the uncritical have invested their emotions in (and libs are emo feel-thinkers).

His success with all voting groups illustrated that America would easily vote for black president they had confidence in. Unfortunately Obama and the media that helped create him have set that all back.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Do you guys even listen to his play on words or does his voice simply soothe you to contempt?

Obama has such genius Oratory that he can take such matters, blame them on his mentor, blame his mentor's twisted views on white America, and Israeli relations, and then come to a complete tangent and give the feel-good lecture on how we have to face our current troubles as not the segregated country we are, but as Americans.

Yes he can. We're just waiting for it to surface. The best argument against him to date has been that he's associated with someone who has serious issues with America. Obama served a number of years at a state level before he came to the Senate. If in that time he was seen to let this kind of talk affect his personal beliefs, would not Fox or Rush have searched for them? Yet they remain curiously quiet in that regard.

Personally I think it past time he addressed the racial issues in this contest. He's been trying to take the high road and not talk in terms of race, but the country as a whole. It was prudent to discuss this and speak plainly. That he did well cannot be held against him.

If Fox, Rush, or whatever soap-box peddlers have muck on him, they'd never release it now. They tried to stop the Obama Bandwagon by "supporting" Hillary, and to no avail.

The perfect time to release such information would be after he wins the nomination and directs his attention to McCain.

It still hasn't come out that Obama's church teaches homosexualtiy to 4 yrs olds (see "Our Whole Lives" and SIECUS).

Obama is going to be president of nothing

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Exactly my point, this is what is wrong with politics, and both sides point fingers and ignore their shit on their own side.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Butterbean

It still hasn't come out that Obama's church teaches homosexualtiy to 4 yrs olds (see "Our Whole Lives" and SIECUS).

Obama is going to be president of nothing

:laugh:. I want to see this one, especially from a BLACK, "RACIST" CHURCH.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I really would have liked it better if he just came out the first day it all started and made a speech.
You never get honesty from a politician with a scheduled speech, its the off the cuff responses that count.

Obama did reply immediately to reject Reverend Wright's statements.

Controversial minister leaves Obama campaign

Presidential candidate condemns words but not ministry of former pastor

By Alex Johnson

Reporter
MSNBC

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., condemned racially charged sermons by his former pastor Friday and urged Americans not to reject his presidential campaign because of "guilt by association."
(continues)

Even Hillary's campaign gave him a pass on this issue:

Clinton adviser gives Obama a pass
There was no formal reaction from the Clinton campaign, but Lanny Davis, a senior adviser, said he took Obama at his word.

"I give Senator Obama completely ? completely ? the benefit of the doubt that he has nothing to do with this bigotry that?s being spewed forth by this man," Davis said on MSNBC?s "Tucker." "For me, that?s all he has to say.

"I think we should stop this guilt-by-association thing, because some of our supporters say stupid things," Davis said.

As eskimospy pointed out, one major difference between Obama and McCain is that, unlike Obama, McCain is still pandering to bigoted religious nutjobs like Falwell, Bob Jones University, anti-semitic, anti-Catholic and anti-gay assholes like John Hagee and more and continuing to accept their support while Obama has clearly rejected such positions and separated himself from those shouting words of hate.

Hagee is a hate spewing whacko who has suggested that the pope is the anti-Christ, that Adolf Hitler?s anti-Semitism was the result of being educated at a Catholic school, that the Catholic church is "the great whore of Babylon" and that Hurricane Katrina was god's act of wrath on New Orleans for scheduling a Gay Pride parade on that day.

It's unfair to assign such views to any candidate unless that candidate has announced such views as his/her own or continues to accept support from bigots once their views are known. Obama has passed this test. McCain has failed.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church?? Obama said. ?Yes.
So he lied before, I guess. Making folks here who defended him (insert what you want) because they thought there was no 'proof' on that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Exactly my point, this is what is wrong with politics, and both sides point fingers and ignore their shit on their own side.

What are you talking about? You know that's not what you meant as well as the rest of us. Obama hasn't ignored what his 'side' has done at all. He's repeatedly condemned it. No one here that I've seen has ignored the stupid crap that his minister has said.

You're the one that asked what would have happened if a white minister said something as stupid, luckily (or unluckily I guess) many many white ministers have said many many things equally stupid or even worse. Your question implied that you thought the treatment of a white minister would be different, and surely enough it is. Instead of distancing themselves from preachers who preach hatred, they endorse them. While Obama's response might not be the complete repudiation you were looking for, it's certainly a far cry from an invitation to the campaign, John Hagee style.

Oh, and Butterbean please shut up. I thought you had been banned, but apparently not. You're a homophobe and you're crazy.

espressoman

May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

I read comments on here and get really frustrated, then I remember that the demographics of Anandtech is very young, technical-minded white males. That's not exactly Obama's base of support.

What Rio Rebel said.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

I would never support Obama because he's just another lying politician and not some fvcking messiah, savior that America needs like Obotsma think he is. As more skeletons come out of the closet people would realize that he's just another partisan politician tool.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lopri
Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church?? Obama said. ?Yes.
So he lied before, I guess. Making folks here who defended him (insert what you want) because they thought there was no 'proof' on that.

Please list what you think proves he lied.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Don't throw rocks in glass houses.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007

He didn't lie. He said he wasn't there and didn't hear those specific comments. He has heard other controversial comments he disagrees with. He has always said that.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Don't throw rocks in glass houses.

I don't have a side and I don't support any of the lying, pandering crooks.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Modelworks

Obama did reply immediately to reject Reverend Wright's statements.

Controversial minister leaves Obama campaign

Presidential candidate condemns words but not ministry of former pastor

By Alex Johnson

Reporter
MSNBC

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., condemned racially charged sermons by his former pastor Friday and urged Americans not to reject his presidential campaign because of "guilt by association."
(continues)

Even Hillary's campaign gave him a pass on this issue:

Clinton adviser gives Obama a pass
There was no formal reaction from the Clinton campaign, but Lanny Davis, a senior adviser, said he took Obama at his word.

"I give Senator Obama completely ? completely ? the benefit of the doubt that he has nothing to do with this bigotry that?s being spewed forth by this man," Davis said on MSNBC?s "Tucker." "For me, that?s all he has to say.

"I think we should stop this guilt-by-association thing, because some of our supporters say stupid things," Davis said.

As eskimospy pointed out, one major difference between Obama and McCain is that, unlike Obama, McCain is still pandering to bigoted religious nutjobs like Falwell, anti-semitic, anti-Catholic and anti-gay assholes like John Hagee and more and continuing to accept their support while Obama has clearly rejected such positions and separated himself from those shouting words of hate.

It's unfair to assign such views to any candidate unless that candidate has announced such views as his/her own or continues to accept support from bigots once their views are known. Obama has passed this test. McCain has failed.

He did not reply/denounce immediately. That is some serious spin. He only responded after there was video proof. Previously, Obama stated what his pastor said about 9/11 was just his pastor trying to be provocative. He agreed with Wright that he would need to at some point distance himself from Wright (at least one year ago). We only heard that when there was video proof about what Wright said. This is not the new politics, this is standard political MO.
Obama stayed in that church for 20 years, called Wright his moral compass, and only now when there is video proof does he go up and make a speech and denounce Wright's inflammatory words. Yeah, a real profile in courage.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by: bl4ckfl4g

He didn't lie. He said he wasn't there and didn't hear those specific comments. He has heard other controversial comments he disagrees with. He has always said that.
What do you think the 'other controversial' comments are?