Obama's plan supported by economists

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Examining the candidates.

I agree with the gist of the article. McCain's budget plans ends up putting the country in even more national debt, when we've already hit ten trillion dollars. When it comes to economy, Obama's plan simply makes more sense.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
The Economist is generally sound in it's advice. Definitely leans towards the right, but in this case they are correct.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
:thumbsup: for getting the economists on Obama's side. And since the scientists are mostly voting his way as well, that gives us a majority of the experts telling us that Obama will run the nation better than McCain.

Edit: Aww there were 4x more Democrats than Republicans in the poll. Still, given that they're economists I'm going to trust them on this issue. I think it also reflects the fact that more PhDs and professionals are Democrat than Republican. I'm going to assume that they're unbiased when it comes to whose economic plan is better.

Full set of data from that article with comments is available here
http://www.economist.com/ecsurvey/

A good quote:
"A candidate?s economic expertise may matter rather less if he surrounds himself with clever advisers. Unfortunately for Mr McCain, 81% of all respondents reckon Mr Obama is more likely to do that; among unaffiliated respondents, 71% say so. That is despite praise across party lines for the excellent Doug Holtz-Eakin, Mr McCain?s most prominent economic adviser and a former head of the Congressional Budget Office. 'Although I have tended to vote Republican,' one reply says, 'the Democrats have a deep pool of talented, moderate economists.'"

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Juddog

I agree with the gist of the article. McCain's budget plans ends up putting the country in even more national debt, when we've already hit ten trillion dollars. When it comes to economy, Obama's plan simply makes more sense.

Don't analyze the promises, analyze the results. We'll see where we are in 4 years under Obama.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Eeezee
:thumbsup: for getting the economists on Obama's side. And since the scientists are mostly voting his way as well, that gives us a majority of the experts telling us that Obama will run the nation better than McCain.

Well to me the vote right now boils down to this: Do we want more war, and more spending on war, or do we want to start bringing troops back and fixing our economy? To me the answer is clear: we need to fix the economy ASAP. We cannot afford another 4 years of this, especially when McCain's economic plan already is estimated to put us several hundred billion dollars more in debt each year. It simply doesn't balance out.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Don't analyze the promises, analyze the results. We'll see where we are in 4 years under Obama.

Great, let me just get out my crystal ball :roll:

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: bdude
The Economist is generally sound in it's advice. Definitely leans towards the right, but in this case they are correct.

I agree, the Economist tends to lean to the right, but in this case they were very objective in their analysis, which showed Obama as the far stronger candidate for our economy.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

The Economist does not lean toward the right...it's is definitely left of center.

That is a meaningless poll. Of course academics will support him.

edit: the magazine even admits it's meaninglessness

Our survey is not, by any means, a scientific poll of all economists.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80

The Economist does not lean toward the right...it's is definitely left of center. [b/]

the economist has traditionally been center right.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

The Economist does not lean toward the right...it's is definitely left of center.

the economist has traditionally been center right.

no, it has not

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's easy to condemn anybody as "leftist" when the pov being espoused is, itself, only slightly "Left" of outright fascists and monarchists...

Simple answers for simple minds. If you don't agree, then it's "leftist"- see? Life is so simple in black and white...

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Thank God for that!! ;)

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
2 things...

1. I agree (as do most I know) that the Economist is to the right of center usually
2. Just because it's not a scientific poll, doesn't mean it's meaningless...just not scientifically significant.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007

roflcopter

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Interesting. Even the money changers support Obama this time round.

Hmmm, he must support their agenda, in which case Obama can't be trusted.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski
Everything leans "Left" to some unfortunate few.

On November 5th when Fox News must inevitably declare Obama the winner, JS80 will declare Fox as center left :laugh:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

I agree, the Economist tends to lean to the right, but in this case they were very objective in their analysis, which showed Obama as the far stronger candidate for our economy.
46% of respondents admit to be Democrats vs. 10% who are Republican. How can you pretend that they were objective??

Maybe the headline should read "Democratic Economists Pick Obama"

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

46% of respondents admit to be Democrats vs. 10% who are Republican. How can you pretend that they were objective??

Maybe 46% are Democrats BECAUSE they're economists who know what they are talking about.

It's a fallacy that in the center of Republicans and Democrats is some ultimate truth and neutrality.
What if it was a poll between McCain and Ron Paul? Would you complain if only 1% of them were Ron Paul supporters?

When Obama wins the election, are you going to complain because the electorate wasn't an even split?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Ha... you've obviously never read The Economist. That thing is definitely not left-leaning.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Because Pro-Jo, in short not everyone is like you, this is something that you never seem to be able to understand. These people are professionals, asked for their professional opinion and they gave it. I was in the military, I thought the Iraq war was illegal (hey look I was right!), and yet I still went out and did my job. People can separate their personal and professional views. Once you figure this out you'll be able to understand the world much better.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang

Ha... you've obviously never read The Economist. That thing is definitely not left-leaning.

Well it depends. They are pretty libertarian... which means they would be social liberals, but economic conservatives. As far as economics go, and this is an economic issue, yes they are pretty heavily right wing.