Obama's other race speech

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
EDIT: All from the people who constantly shriek about the 'race card' any time someone might deign to mention that criticism of Obama might have to do with race. Your cognitive dissonance is impressive.

Oh, you are just imagining things.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
From the OP's link: "The liberal blogger Andrew Sullivan linked to what he described as a “transcript” of the speech, which turned out not to be a transcript at all, but instead the prepared remarks provided by the campaign. In fact, Obama, who was not using a teleprompter, deviated from his script repeatedly and at length, ad libbing lines that he does not appear to have used before any other audience during his presidential run."

He was referring to the "transcript" in the link that you posted, which clearly left out a lot of what he actually said in the video. Who's being willfully ignorant now?

So, what argument are you making?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
No one cared in 2007 when this was revealed, and no one cares now that a few more minutes of the same speech was revealed.

FYI.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
So, what argument are you making?

When CADsortaGUY said this,
So we have the defenders of BHO claiming this was released during the first campaign. Can someone please back up that statement. From what I've seen, it is inaccurate to make the claim. IF someone can show that the video was released 5 years ago instead of today, I will accept that - just little bits and pieces don't count btw.

you called him willfully ignorant for not reading the articles linked or the article you linked. I'm pointing out that CAD was correct in his assertion that neither the "transcript" nor the video clips previously released included the parts of the speech that have recently come to light.

Okay, how about this then: http://youtu.be/ofbUK85bnwY

Uploaded by brettcam on Jun 5, 2007

Please point out at which point in the video he mentions the Stafford Act or that the government doesn't care about people in New Orleans.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I was channel surfing last night when a commercial came on the program I was watching; I don't like commercials so I always surf around for a few minutes. I came upon this video and was about to move on when that accent caught my ear. Pandering? Yeah. But, and maybe it's me, but it was weird to see Obama adopt that fake 'Black accent'. I find it embarrassing. I'd say the same if Romney went to Texas and tried to speak with a twang.

In the brief part I watched I also saw him embrace the Reverend Wright as tight as any embrace I've ever seen. Still strikes me as odd that 'mess' didn't stick to him.

And nothing necessarily wrong with using videos from '07 while he was campaigning for President. Certainly some are more relevant than others (e.g., campaign promises).

Fern

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
When CADsortaGUY said this,

you called him willfully ignorant for not reading the articles linked or the article you linked. I'm pointing out that CAD was correct in his assertion that neither the "transcript" nor the video clips previously released included the parts of the speech that have recently come to light.

Please point out at which point in the video he mentions the Stafford Act or that the government doesn't care about people in New Orleans.

Courtesy of http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/45243

Said Carlson in 2007:
Barack Obama was talking about a quiet riot today. And no, it was not a reference to a 1980s heavy metal band, unfortunately. The senator waded into the controversial waters of race during a speech Hampton University in Virginia. He said the Bush administration has done little to quell a brewing storm among some black Americans. He compared the current tension to what fueled the L.A. riots in the wake of the Rodney King verdict.
Over at Fox News, Brit Hume reported:
Senator Obama today said the Bush administration has done nothing to defuse what he calls a quiet riot among black Americans, a riot he suggests is ready to erupt. Obama said African American resentments and frustrations are building, especially, he said, because so many blacks from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are still displaced 21 months after Hurricane Katrina. Obama warned against conditions similar to those in Los Angeles 15 years ago.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Content is important, just as how he played to his audience. Do these not matter?

Was Lincoln the greatest president because he campaigned in the south that he would preserve slavery while campaigning in the north that he would abolish slavery?

Fact is, Obama knows his audience, he knows how to talk to people. This is what good politicians do.

Bush was exceedingly good at this.

Romney goes into the public, thinking that every single person is a business owner, or wants to be a business owner. Period. That is his myopic worldview, and he refuses to address people under any other assumptions. This is why he is so profoundly disliked outside, as well as within, his party.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003

What part of those statements mentions Obama talking about the Stafford Act or saying that the government doesn't care about people in New Orleans? Also, you might want to find a better source than the clearly biased Capitol Hill Blue, as it was the Editor & Publisher Doug Thompson who posted the widely debunked story that George Bush called the Constitution a "goddamned piece of paper."

Feb 4, 2009
You mean like his 47% video? So this one by BHO doesn't matter but Romney's was all over the news... lol you people are so transparent.

The key difference is Obama's speech was given at a public event and I'm almost positive it was broadcast. Romney's 47% remark were at a private fund raiser (I believe 50k per plate). Summary; Obama's was public and most did not find it offensive, Romney's was in a room full of friends so it was to be kept secret hence why some find it offensive that a super wealthy guy speaking in a room full of wealthy people talk about 47% being slackers.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
What part of those statements mentions Obama talking about the Stafford Act or saying that the government doesn't care about people in New Orleans? Also, you might want to find a better source than the clearly biased Capitol Hill Blue, as it was the Editor & Publisher Doug Thompson who posted the widely debunked story that George Bush called the Constitution a "goddamned piece of paper."

lol. So Tucker Carlson in 2012 breaks a story that hadn't been reported before yet in 2007 not only did he himself report on it, the liberal bastion which is Fox News reported on it as well. In fact, they wanted to use the clip of Obama introducing Wright in campaign ads

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
i didn't see the video but I am absolutely positive that if Katrina victims were predominantly white they would have received more support. Only excessive naivety would have a person think otherwise.
lol. So Tucker Carlson in 2012 breaks a story that hadn't been reported before yet in 2007 not only did he himself report on it, the liberal bastion which is Fox News reported on it as well. In fact, they wanted to use the clip of Obama introducing Wright in campaign ads
Sounds like we should break the story of the time Jon Stewart manhandled the hell out of him :) Fvcker Carlson was always a douche. Anybody with a bowtie is, it's all you need to know.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
i didn't see the video but I am absolutely positive that if Katrina victims were predominantly white they would have received more support. Only excessive naivety would have a person think otherwise.Sounds like we should break the story of the time Jon Stewart manhandled the hell out of him :) Fvcker Carlson was always a douche. Anybody with a bowtie is, it's all you need to know.
Yeah, his bowtie has got to go. But your first comment flies in the face of the facts. There was some waivers to Katrina impacted areas for the local match, Obama was wrong.

He brings up Miami and hurricane Andrew but there are plenty of non-whites in Miami. Not everything is about race people.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/full-2007-video-of-obama-emerges-of-then-senator-obama-claiming-federal-discrimination-against-new-orleans/

ABC News ran that clip in a March 2008 piece on “World News Tonight with Charles Gibson.” At the time, prepared remarks of Obama’s speech were released by the campaign and a local newspaper posted a nine-minute edited video of the address. What ABC News and many others, including The Daily Caller founder Tucker Carlson, covered at the time was based on that edited video and the prepared remarks.

As ABC News reported at the time, Obama implied the Bush administration had ignored what he called “quiet riots” in the United States — serious instances of poverty and hopelessness that had gone unaddressed by the federal government.

But the full version of the speech, posted on The Daily Caller website this evening, shows Obama taking that argument a step further, suggesting the federal government overlooked the needs of residents of New Orleans suffering in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, as opposed to victims of other disasters in other parts of the country.

Why do you have trouble comprehending that the full video wasn't available in 2008? If you have any actual proof that the full video or an actual transcript (not the prepared remarks given to the press) were available years ago, please provide it.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
About four years ago, I read a comment on the Washington Post forum where someone said they were concerned about Mr Obama winning because they were concerned that Mr Obama would do to white people what whites had done and were doing to everyone who was not white over the last 200 years.

I have been paying attention and I have not detected anything that Mr Obama has done to treat whites like they have treated everyone else. As most people are, he is aware of how whites have treated everyone else over the last 300 years.

Jan 25, 2011
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/full-2007-video-of-obama-emerges-of-then-senator-obama-claiming-federal-discrimination-against-new-orleans/

Why do you have trouble comprehending that the full video wasn't available in 2008? If you have any actual proof that the full video or an actual transcript (not the prepared remarks given to the press) were available years ago, please provide it.

Sorry but that is wrong. In a segment on it tonight CNN not only stated the video was made available to them the next day by a local network but they showed the tape in archive.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ates-on-release-of-old-obama-video/?hpt=hp_t1

The 2007 event was open to the press, and CNN affiliate WAVY recorded the full speech. The crux of his speech was reported by CNN at the time on air and online.

"This was hardly a secret tape," he said. "It's in the tape library of most of the networks, including CNN. It was a publicly covered event. It was discussed not only with [Fox News commentator and conservative] Tucker [Carlson] but on Fox. ABC talked about it."

Unreported does not mean unavailable. The thing to remember is the Wright BS started well after tht speech. Most likely that is why it wasn't reported on at the time. It was as meaningless then as it is now.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
(1)- Ancient video is ancient.
(2)- People have already gone down the road of Obama in this context ad nauseum, all it does is confirm those who already don't like him.
(3)- It looks stupid and desperate to independents, whom poll overwhelmingly towards wanting less stunts and negative bullshit, they want answers to policy questions.

IOW, this is a waste of time by the Repubs/FNC, other than buffing ratings and giving trolls more garbage to derp about, it's actually harmful to their cause.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
YAWN!!

I'd rather read the Onion then more recycled kitty litter from the Drudge Report.

I guess the OP didn't know this shit's been online since 2007.

Then again maybe this "remastered version" will reveal more hidden secrets!!

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Sorry but that is wrong. In a segment on it tonight CNN not only stated the video was made available to them the next day by a local network but they showed the tape in archive.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ates-on-release-of-old-obama-video/?hpt=hp_t1

Unreported does not mean unavailable. The thing to remember is the Wright BS started well after tht speech. Most likely that is why it wasn't reported on at the time. It was as meaningless then as it is now.

So your contention is that the entire tape of the speech was freely available 4 years ago, but not a single news outlet chose to mention the parts of it that just came to light yesterday? And I'm not talking about the "quiet riots" remark that was mentioned in the link you posted, as that was in the prepared remarks initially released.