Obama's other race speech

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Clearly, only white people are victims of racism. Everyone else is making sh!t up.

:rolleyes:

So I'll ask my question again: Have you ever heard about a situation in the last 30 years in which the victim was non-white and thought "yes, that's an example of racism"?

I'm not entirely sure what's worse; saying everything is racism or denying anything is racism.

Its far worse saying everything is racism when it isn't. That ties right back into the thread/video.

There are true racists out there and racism that is very harmful but to call everything racists does a disservice to those who suffer because of real racism. The boy who called wolf is a pretty apropos fable here.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I'm surprised to see you say that.

Why? I haven't ever said racism isn't bad, or doesn't exist. I simply don't think people realize that a lot of the time what they call racism simply isn't.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Andrew Sullivan says it all.

The Dish actually transcribed the entire Obama speech - Carlson's massively hyped "scoop" yesterday - in June 2007. You can read the speech in full here. What struck me at the time was the following quote:
We can diminish poverty if we approach it in two ways: by taking mutual responsibility for each other as a society, and also by asking for some more individual responsibility to strengthen our families.
So Carlson is trying to make a speech that was in part about African-Americans taking "more individual responsibility to strengthen our families" into a leftist rant.
Yes, Obama defended government programs - to help young mothers with infants, for example - but the speech's blend of conservative goals and liberal policies is almost Obama's centrist brand. Yes, he implied that in many inner cities there is a constant quiet riot and that the authorities tolerate things there they wouldn't elsewhere (sounds like Giuliani to me). He also implied that the Feds did not respond to Katrina with sufficient urgency in part because the people affected the most were black and powerless. Isn't that obviously true? If Katrina had hit Georgetown, or San Francisco, do you think residents would be on their roofs begging for federal help for days? Yes, in black audinces his cadence shifts a little. So fucking what?
Here was what I wrote about it at the time:
Notice the conservative pitch for a liberal policy. Obama focuses on young children and ex-offenders. His big government programs are all geared toward fostering conservative social behavior and opportunity.
All that Carlson did is clip it to get an "angry black man" in the minds of Americans. It's at once one of the most desperate and lame and vile plays of the race card I can remember - an obvious recognition that the 47 percent tape can only really be countered emotionally with race-baiting. But it lit up "conservative" media in ways that Conor best expresses:
If the New York Times was constantly searching for archival footage to prove that Mitt Romney doesn't like black people, or that he is "whipping up race hatred," the conservative media would accuse them of frivolously ignoring the actual issues that this election ought to turn on. It would say that they were exploiting the racial anxieties of Americans to tarnish the character of a man whose long record of public policy-making shows no evidence of racial animosity or radicalism.
When it comes to racial demagoguery, the right has become everything it says it hates about the left.
Carlson used to be a brilliant writer. He's now a racist demagogue. He's a story in one person of how degenerate and disgusting much of American "conservatism" has become.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
So we have the defenders of BHO claiming this was released during the first campaign. Can someone please back up that statement. From what I've seen, it is inaccurate to make the claim. IF someone can show that the video was released 5 years ago instead of today, I will accept that - just little bits and pieces don't count btw.

Next, the issue of Katrina. Can someone please show how Obama's claims about the whatever Act are true. It seems to me that from what's been pieced together that the Act had been waved BEFORE he made this speech and as a Senator he would/should have know about it. Again, I'm going from what I've read and the reporting on this whole video is disastrous as we have one side of the Media trying to downplay it and the other trying to shine a light on it.

Anyway, to those trying to suggest it's old and thus somehow doesn't compare to the 47% video - you are full of shit. It's exactly the same. It shows how on different stages and to different people these politicians let their gaurd down or do things they wouldn't do/say to a national audience. Whine about it being 5 years old if you wish but as per the top paragraph - prove this video was out and you might have a point on age, but it still doesn't mean the videos are apples-oranges.

...or people could ignore the topic and let things wander into unrelated topics and/or attack the source. Your call...

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
So we have the defenders of BHO claiming this was released during the first campaign. Can someone please back up that statement. From what I've seen, it is inaccurate to make the claim. IF someone can show that the video was released 5 years ago instead of today, I will accept that - just little bits and pieces don't count btw.

Next, the issue of Katrina. Can someone please show how Obama's claims about the whatever Act are true. It seems to me that from what's been pieced together that the Act had been waved BEFORE he made this speech and as a Senator he would/should have know about it. Again, I'm going from what I've read and the reporting on this whole video is disastrous as we have one side of the Media trying to downplay it and the other trying to shine a light on it.

Anyway, to those trying to suggest it's old and thus somehow doesn't compare to the 47% video - you are full of shit. It's exactly the same. It shows how on different stages and to different people these politicians let their gaurd down or do things they wouldn't do/say to a national audience. Whine about it being 5 years old if you wish but as per the top paragraph - prove this video was out and you might have a point on age, but it still doesn't mean the videos are apples-oranges.

...or people could ignore the topic and let things wander into unrelated topics and/or attack the source. Your call...

Why not read the thread, or the articles linked, or open up google, or even just read the post above yours. My gosh, you have chosen to be willfully ignorant.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
So, according to the OP, the content of the speech is not as important as how he said it? Or is it because he mentioned the bias in how the federal government treated the different disasters? Or is it because he mentioned his pastor?

Content is important, just as how he played to his audience. Do these not matter?

Difference in the disasters? As noted, are you sure? Seems it was was waived and billions handed out.

His pastor was talked about but BHO tried to dismiss him but the vid makes clear just how much he was a "friend". Nothing new in my world as I already knew he was lying when he tried to distance himself so meh...

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Nothing Obama could do or has done would change the minds of his critics or his supporters.

This is true. Like I said, Obama could have been out setting fire to puppies and kittens and people will still like him better than those evil bastards that hand out tax breaks to all classes.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
This is true. Like I said, Obama could have been out setting fire to puppies and kittens and people will still like him better than those evil bastards that hand out tax breaks to all classes.

You forgot the other part of that... which is equally true. People who hate him will hate him even if he does everything they want.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I have, it proves nothing I asked to be proven. Please try again. :)

I posted this on the first page of this thread.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/drudge-daily-caller-obama_n_1934441.html

Read the article, click on the links in it and most of your answers should be answered. If not open up google and type in the question you have. You must be a FoxNews watcher. You seem to like all your information spoon-fed to you.

Edit. What is even more amazing is your original post. You want someone to disprove something that Fox and Drudge posted. Amazing.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000

This also applies to his detractors, he could come up with the cure for pancreatic cancer and people would find it somehow to be a monstrous negative.

EDIT: z beat me to it!

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
All I have to say is Brownie is doing a hell of a job.

Edit My bad. It was Michael Brown. I wrote Scott Brown see below.

Thanks Thump553

All I have to say is Scott Brown is doing a hell of a job.

Last edited:

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
How? American colonists wishing other colonists go back to England isn't racist. It's this exactly the same as wishing Obama go back to Kenya. But somehow that is racist. The American colonists (not English colonists) are from American (born here) exactly the same as Obama. In both cases, someone is wishing they would go back to the country of their ancestors.

Unless you are now saying it was racists to wish those colonists go back to England? Okay, back that one up.

Key phrase " go back to"

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

Wow! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you so partisan that all of us that provided links and quotes showing news corporations covering it aren't true somehow?

Really? Talk about willful ignorance.

There are probably hundreds of web pages talking about this, all of them probably linking to old news articles covering his talk, but somehow you are going to hand wave them away?

Faux news lied to you, shouldn't you be upset that you were intentionally lied to by them, instead of defending them? Where is your integrity? Where is your outrage for being made a fool of by them?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

here

More specifically, here

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Here is the page from the day Tucker Carlson mentioned the speech and showed clips on 6/6/2007 on his MSNBC show, not sure why him not airing the entire video doesn't count, the transcript has been online since 2007 as well:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19078514/ns/msnbc-the_ed_show/t/tucker-june/#.UGyNhU3A96S

I mean pretty clear this is old and recycled and the timing of it 24 hours before the first debate is pure strategy, not some new found outrage piece.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Much ado about nothing. Neo-conservatives grasping at straws here now that the election is slipping out of reach.

Non-issue, won't impact election.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Content is important, just as how he played to his audience. Do these not matter?

Difference in the disasters? As noted, are you sure? Seems it was was waived and billions handed out.

His pastor was talked about but BHO tried to dismiss him but the vid makes clear just how much he was a "friend". Nothing new in my world as I already knew he was lying when he tried to distance himself so meh...

Are you saying that speaking with an accent changes the meaning of the actual words?

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
Why not read the thread, or the articles linked, or open up google, or even just read the post above yours. My gosh, you have chosen to be willfully ignorant.

From the OP's link: "The liberal blogger Andrew Sullivan linked to what he described as a “transcript” of the speech, which turned out not to be a transcript at all, but instead the prepared remarks provided by the campaign. In fact, Obama, who was not using a teleprompter, deviated from his script repeatedly and at length, ad libbing lines that he does not appear to have used before any other audience during his presidential run."

He was referring to the "transcript" in the link that you posted, which clearly left out a lot of what he actually said in the video. Who's being willfully ignorant now?

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
From the OP's link: "The liberal blogger Andrew Sullivan linked to what he described as a “transcript” of the speech, which turned out not to be a transcript at all, but instead the prepared remarks provided by the campaign. In fact, Obama, who was not using a teleprompter, deviated from his script repeatedly and at length, ad libbing lines that he does not appear to have used before any other audience during his presidential run."

He was referring to the "transcript" in the link that you posted, which clearly left out a lot of what he actually said in the video. Who's being willfully ignorant now?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34048275&postcount=80