Obama's Muslim Faith

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Listen to your own link, Prof

The topic is the right talking about Obama being a Muslim.

Obama (whew! typing those whole 5 letters is exhausting, loki ) says,

"You're absolutely right that John McCain [himself] has not talked about 'my muslim faith'

"Christian faith"

"Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm Muslim."

It's a damn lie to suggest that Obama slipped and referred to himself as a Muslim, he DID NOT.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: OrByte
McCain said his wife was a cvnt.

I guess she is, he said so right?
Have proof of that on tape??

I heard Mrs. Obama went after Whitey in a speech she gave. And I have as much proof as you do.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
It was a simple slip of the tongue, and now a very few people want to make a mountain out of a molehill.
this.

I guess it is to be expected with the extreme "anti-"s on both sides of the political spectrum spitting their venom. I see this in P&N all the time.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Perknose
Listen to your own link, Prof

The topic is the right talking about Obama being a Muslim.

Obama (whew! typing those whole 5 letters is exhausting, loki ) says,

"You're absolutely right that John McCain [himself] has not talked about 'my muslim faith'

"Christian faith"

"Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm Muslim."

It's a damn lie to suggest that Obama slipped and referred to himself as a Muslim, he DID NOT.
ummm I never suggested anything about Obama being a Muslim.

Go back read the thread.
You guys are starting to suffer from PJDS

ProfJohn Derangement Syndrome.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Lanyap
It was a simple slip of the tongue, and now a very few people want to make a mountain out of a molehill.
this.

I guess it is to be expected with the extreme "anti-"s on both sides of the political spectrum spitting their venom. I see this in P&N all the time.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

I don't even think it was a slip of the tongue-- I think he was just trying to describe the sentiment that some people (wrongly) have of him, and was not alluding to how he views himself.

For instance, imagine an exchange like this:

Interviewer: "Obama, what do you have to say about the latest rumor that you are a crack-snorting pedophile?"

Obama: "I haven't heard these rumors that say I am a crack-snorthing pedophile..."

Interviewer: "So you admit you are a crack-snorthing pedophile! OMG!"

Then some idiot can post a youtubue link: "Caught on tape! Obama declares 'I am a crack-snorthing pedophile!'", some people who should know better will actually take it seriously, and we are all dumber for it.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Oopsie. I can see he wasn't saying that he was a Muslim, but that doesn't really matter. All that matters is a clip of Obama saying "My Muslim faith" is going to be floating around and it'll hurt him.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
You guys are starting to suffer from PJDS

ProfJohn Derangement Syndrome.

Lol, Prof, you are the only known victim of of PJDS, and you got it bad. ;)

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Oopsie. I can see he wasn't saying that he was a Muslim, but that doesn't really matter. All that matters is a clip of Obama saying "My Muslim faith" is going to be floating around and it'll hurt him.

I don't think it will hurt him. The people dumb enough to believe it are people who weren't going to vote for him anyway. Hell, it gives even me some pause to know that I'll likely be voting for the same candidates as these idiots will be.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: aka1nas
The video is chopped.
Like it or not he actually did say it.
longer link
Don't be a clown... you know damn well that you're taking it completely out of context, and Obama clarified exactly what he meant -- quite simply -- ten seconds later.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I don't think it will hurt him. The people dumb enough to believe it are people who weren't going to vote for him anyway. Hell, it gives even me some pause to know that I'll likely be voting for the same candidates as these idiots will be.

but you have to agree...even these silly issues help in the long run.

Because it takes the national dialogue into the mud, and away from the important things that need to be discussed.

I think it helps whatever "team" that is avoiding the meaningful dialogue. no?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: Lanyap
this.

I don't even think it was a slip of the tongue-- I think he was just trying to describe the sentiment that some people (wrongly) have of him, and was not alluding to how he views himself.

For instance, imagine an exchange like this:

Interviewer: "Obama, what do you have to say about the latest rumor that you are a crack-snorting pedophile?"

Obama: "I haven't heard these rumors that say I am a crack-snorthing pedophile..."

Interviewer: "So you admit you are a crack-snorthing pedophile! OMG!"

Then some idiot can post a youtubue link: "Caught on tape! Obama declares 'I am a crack-snorthing pedophile!'", some people who should know better will actually take it seriously, and we are all dumber for it.

I agree with your assessment after viewing several of the videos. My second part still stands.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Where does he admit his Muslim faith? I think he explained what he was saying pretty clearly.
It's these kinds of below the belt attacks that make me rethink not voting for Obama.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
What if he is a Muslim? If he is a "secular politician" as you all like to believe, his personal faith shouldn't overly affect his policy decisions.

All of you are fascists and should build a time machine to go back to 1939 Germany, where you will feel right at home.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: RY62
It's ironic though that O would complain so much when he has MSNBC, CNN, NBC, KOS, HuffPo, DU, etc. doing the same crap for him every day.

It bothers me none if Obama is a Christian, Muslim, Atheist, or a Sith Lord. What does bother me is him acknowledging that McCain made no Muslim connections/remarks and then in the next breath suggesting a link. You could rightly call it hypocrisy or call it politics as usual.. so much for the change train.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Cognitive dissonance on the part of conservatives must feel like a life long wedgy. On one hand Obama gets ripped for being a secret Muslim and on the other he gets ripped for attending Rev. Wright's church.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
He didn't "mispeak" or "admit" anything. He was talking about the issue surrounding his alleged "Muslim" faith. It's clear to see just by reading the damn sentence he stated it in.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
"...you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith."

Meaning, "mccain never claimed obama is muslim". Not that "mccain never talked about obama's existent muslim faith".

Reading/hearing comprehension for the win.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ironwing
Cognitive dissonance on the part of conservatives must feel like a life long wedgy. On one hand Obama gets ripped for being a secret Muslim and on the other he gets ripped for attending Rev. Wright's church.

I think hitting each other in the head with a baseball bat is part of the Republican Initiation.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The fact that he said "my Muslim faith" had to be a screw up.

There is no way he would have ever said that if he had a chance to think it out before hand.

The only thing this does is give the people who weren't going to vote for him anyway another excuse not to vote for him.
In the long run though this is about as important as how many houses McCain's wife owns.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Watching the video in context, it seems that he was tired and messed up what he intended to say. He was talking about muslims/christians, and was trying to talk about how McCain branded him as a muslim.

But it still disgusts me that this is an issue to people if it were true.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

There is no way he would have ever said that if he had a chance to think it out before hand.

The only thing this does is give the people who weren't going to vote for him anyway another excuse not to vote for him.
In the long run though this is about as important as how many houses McCain's wife owns.

Well, that's part of the problem here now isn't it. If one can't allow certain strings of words together, then they're spending too much time trying to find the correct Strings and not enough talking about the issues.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Legend
Watching the video in context, it seems that he was tired and messed up what he intended to say. He was talking about muslims/christians, and was trying to talk about how McCain branded him as a muslim.

How McCain has not branded him a Muslim.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

John-- you are clearly delusional if you think him saying "my Muslim faith" was a screw up.

Obama is more intelligent than you seem to give him credit for. If you look at his body language after Stephanopolous tried to correct him ("You mean 'my Christian faith'?"), Obama is staring daggers back at him as if to say "WTF are you talking about!?? I said 'my muslim faith' because that is what everyone is talking about-- but that doesn't mean that I personally believe that I have a muslim faith'.

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Legend

Why does it disgust you that some people would oppose having a Muslim president?