Obama's Last Chance to Unite the Dems - Cut a "Deal" with Clinton?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Interesting what you guys are saying but its a little scary to me. So you believe the rep. will keep the war alive. The dems you believe will end the war. I would like to see that.

Again tho I must ask what party leadersfip has gotten us into All other wars . Dems.Correct . Now your counting on them pulling us out of a war. I would so much like to see that. ABE was a Rep. But that party is now the dem party.

i'm glad you get that i am saying the *best choice* is simply the "least bad choice" ... the lesser of two evils

McLame is "committed" to Bush's War
- Bush DID start the Iraq War [twice! - the 2nd time was purely political], never mind the dubious past of both sh!tty parties - they are all we currently have to "work with" - this election[!] - is Dems v. Reps. ... i'd like to ask Nader to also "stifle himself" to avoid adding to the confusion like last time - he is far worse than irrelevant in his premature old age as he is simply ignorant now and being used as a tool for those who prefer Chaos in the Democratic Party.

Who cares to argue about the past? .. it is past. LEARN from it
--solve the crisis now .. FOCUS please

(1)McLame/WhoCares and War

or [best chance for Dems - period! unite the Party, stupids :p]

(2) Clinton/Obama - and Hillary adopts Obama's plan for an Immediate End to Occupation and an organized withdrawal - we can then work on dismantling the death-grip of Corporate America and End our dependence on foreign oil - the Middle East then becomes as strategically important as Africa to US [get it?]

Clear now? at least to Democrats? and frankly i hope it becomes clear to just ONE Democrat .. the very best man in his party can unite it by taking a very unexpected, self-sacrificing and [agreed, yes a very] disdainful personal "back seat" .. again - delaying his ultimate vision to improve on it and to insure it's outcome - Mr. Obama a visionary with both MLK's and JFK's best qualities ... i would just hope he would somehow get this idea in time and make it his own.

rose.gif

In my analysis this is the "last chance" - not 'last best chance' - with a reasonable chance of succeeding against McLame and the Smear Mongers ... for Democrats .. and for the first time ever [and possibly for the last time as i am also planning on being 'rich' - selfishly]- i am voting with you in 08. Wise up please ... N-O-W, would be just about almost too late.;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
My apologies ,,, i am heading off to work and i notice the discussion has changed - a lot! The very tone of this discussion has changed a bit from what i set out to do in my little analysis for the Dems. The old title no longer reflects the discussion so i altered it a bit to reflect it. [see new title]

The Summary hasn't changed but the Old Title was:

Why Doesn't Obama Cut a "Deal" with Clinton?

We have answered the "why not" part. And of course, you may not like it ... i hate seeing the better candidate taking a back seat. But then She is a Shield for him as she makes her own mistakes and i see Obama personally rising Way above them

"Negativity" Loses Elections .. the Dems are attacking each other while McLame looks more and more of a "hero" by saying nothing. After the bloodied Victor emerges from the Stupor-Delegates dirty backroom dealings, NO ONE will have any faith in the candidate - whoever it turns out to be - a dirty Smear Campaign with the Race Card being played to the Max - and McClame wins by default.

You want that for Dems?
:confused:'

Unite damnit - or DIE! :|
- how stupid are they? ... it takes no genius to figure out what is happening in the Dem Party are Killing Each Other!

Anyway, i have the new Slogan for the 21st Century - a reWrite of a very old one:

Unite or Die Stupid!

which of course means "unite or die, stupid" to the warring factions of people - Democrats with similar goals - and it also means "unite, or die stupid"

rose.gif

Good luck to us as a species! .. right now ... we need it, i think

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin
My apologies ,,, i am heading off to work and i notice the discussion has changed - a lot! The very tone of this discussion has changed a bit from what i set out to do in my little analysis for the Dems. The old title no longer reflects the discussion so i altered it a bit to reflect it. [see new title]

We have answered the "why not" part. And of course, you may not like it ... i hate seeing the better candidate taking a back seat. But then She is a Shield for him as she makes her own mistakes and i see Obama personally rising Way above them

"Negativity" Loses Elections .. the Dems are attacking each other while McLame looks more and more of a "hero" by saying nothing. After the bloodied Victor emerges from the Stupor-Delegates dirty backroom dealings, NO ONE will have any faith in the candidate - whoever it turns out to be - a dirty Smear Campaign with the Race Card being played to the Max - and McClame wins by default.

You want that for Dems?

- how stupid are they? ... it takes no genius to figure out what is happening in the Dem Party are Killing Each Other!

Anyway, i have the new Slogan for the 21st Century - a reWrite of a very old one:

Unite or Die Stupid!

which of course means "unite or die, stupid" to the warring factions of people - Democrats with similar goals - and it also means "unite, or die stupid"

rose.gif

Hillary is the one who started down the path of negative campaigning. By bowing out and taking a VP spot, Obama would be condoning that behavior. In 4 or 8 years, the next person that wants to be president at all costs (as Hillary does) will know that all he/she has to do is threaten to destroy the Democrat party with negative campaigning and they'll get the nomination because that's what history has proven works.

The system is the problem and what needs to change. That change won't happen if Hillary gets the nod.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

i hate seeing the better candidate taking a back seat. But then She is a Shield for him as she makes her own mistakes and i see Obama personally rising Way above them

I beg to disagree. She isn't a shield for him, she is a magnet and every thing that she fvcks up is going to be forever associated with him after that point.

And if you agree that he is the best choice, why would you ever want to settle for less? That just makes no logical sense to me. C'mon, just admit that you are a Hillary supporter already and are looking for any way possible to get her as the party candidate.

You want that for Dems?

What ever happened to the belief that "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger"?

Sure there is some negative campaigning going on right now. But is this truly bad for whomever comes out the victor? They will be battle tested and will need this experience to combat what is going to be thrown at them by the RNC and their proxies. When Obama finally wins this thing, he will have the experience to see what kind of results trying to stay above the fray provided, how waiting a few days to respond appeared to come off as and what look immediate action took on.

Unite or Die Stupid!

rose.gif

This whole rant comes down to putting party above country which is even more stupid than being divisive because your selfishness and pride won't allow you to concede that someone else might be better than you, have better ideas than you or just might be able to perform the job duties better than you. This sounds like late 1990's - early 2000's GOP handbook material. You should be so proud.

We need to put the best person in place to right this wayward ship. I firmly believe that that person is Obama. He will bring credibility and respectibility to us as a country once again. He comes across as sincerely wanting to do what is best for the majority of the population instead of what is only good for his "base" which should help him in getting Congress to vote for actual content of legislation instead of what the party thinks the base would want to appease them.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
This whole rant comes down to putting party above country which is even more stupid than being divisive because your selfishness and pride won't allow you to concede that someone else might be better than you, have better ideas than you or just might be able to perform the job duties better than you. This sounds like late 1990's - early 2000's GOP handbook material. You should be so proud.

We need to put the best person in place to right this wayward ship. I firmly believe that that person is Obama. He will bring credibility and respectibility to us as a country once again. He comes across as sincerely wanting to do what is best for the majority of the population instead of what is only good for his "base" which should help him in getting Congress to vote for actual content of legislation instead of what the party thinks the base would want to appease them.

:thumbsup:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Party above Self - behind Country - like the true Patriots that Founded our Country to Sacrificing their Own Lives for the "Welfare for the Many". Unless, you forgot, let me remind you that we had 13 FRAGMENTED colonies that the English DEPENDED on keeping Fragmented. Well, they got behind the best thinkers of the Century and UNITED the States!! I think the fragmented Dems could take a Lesson from the Darkest Hour our Country's History becoming the Brightest... PLAN AHEAD!!! They planned over 200 years into the Future and we have to do the same - or else,

You are a tiny minority of "thinkers" .. Americans base their vote on "emotional" issues. When the Race and Fear Card is Played Again you will see - too late - that Obama is Un-electable in '08 despite being the *best* candidate. And your selfish determination to put Candidate ahead of Party has already made your Majority Party completely ineffective years ago. If you cannot even comprehend who the Real Enemy is - GOP - then you are completely lost and my message is absolutely not for you - you are part of the problem with no solution and "no guarantee" .. actually my message is not for you anyway - it is for Barack Obama himself. :p

Clearly ... i am 100% agreed with you - except casting me as a "Hillary Supporter" - she is a "Means to a Real End" .. to an Obama Presidency in Settled Times - with no War to End. He can MAKE HER adopt his PLATFORM! He is the man of the hour and it is his decision!
-- You are also right that Obama would Win IF His Own Rival Would Stop Tearing Him Down and the Republicans were not *reserving* the Dirtiest Politics for the Election ... Did you even notice that the GOP has uncharacteristically muzzled their Own Big Mouths - Limbaugh, etc. - until the Democratic Candidate emerges ;)
-they don't want to let the Obama camp know What is Coming. Hillary Knows and she is playing dirty now especially with the Stupor Delegates. It LOOKS bad for the Dems to do backroom dealings that they will probably pick - when they are forced to - much later when there is not time to fight the Republicans.

Hillary Won't Quit[period] - she has ALREADY sown the seeds of distrust toward Obama that McLame's Camp will Run With.

So, my Conclusion ... it is up to Obama to plan the future for the Democrats - despite themselves and their stupid selfish interests .. he has to make a *temporary personal sacrifice* to insure his ultimate Goal of 8 years as President of the USA

And God-Damn Right i Stole it from the GPO "playbook" - the best Play they EVAR made with Reagan ... now it's Payback time
:evil:

IF Obama considers all of his options carefully with a View to a Dynasty with Him as President to finish the work he starts next year as VP. He can cut an awesome deal - for himself, for his party and for His Country .. or he can let this fight go on and on until McLame walks away with the Presidency in 08 - at least that is what the Republicans are planning

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Party above Self - behind Country
You are a tiny minority of "thinkers" .. Americans base their vote on "emotional" issues. When the Race and Fear Card is Played Again you will see - too late - that he is Un-electable in '08 despite being the *best* candidate. And your selfish determination to put Candidate ahead of Party has already made your Majority Party completely ineffective. If you cannot even comprehend who the Real Enemy is - GOP - then you are completely lost and my message is absolutely not for you - you are part of the problem with no solution and "no guarantee" .. actually my message is not for you anyway - it is for Barack Obama himself. :p

Clearly ... i am 100% agreed with you - except casting me as a "Hillary Supporter" - she is a "Means to a real End" ..
-- You are also right that Obama would Win IF His Own Rival Would Stop Tearing Him Down and the Republicans were not *reserving* the Dirtiest Politics for the Pre-Election ... did you notice that the GOP has uncharacteristically muzzled their Big Mouths - Limbaugh, etc. - until the Democratic Candidate emerges ;)
-they don't want to let the Obama camp know What is Coming. Hillary Knows and she is playing dirty now especially with the Stupor Delegates.

She Won't Quit[period] - she has ALREADY sown the seeds of distrust toward Obama that McLame's Camp will Run With.

So, my Conclusion ... it is up to Obama to plan the future for the Democrats - despite themselves and their stupid selfish interests .. he has to make a *temporary personal sacrifice* to insure his ultimate Goal of 8 years as President of the USA

And GodDamn Right i Stole it from the GPO "playbook" - the best Play they EVAR made with Reagan ... now it's Payback time

if Obama considers it carefully

Payback is a Hillary theme, not an Obama one. That's exactly why we need Barak now and not Clinton. A lot of the people who voted for Reagan are as dead as he. May God have mercy on their souls.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Payback is my theme and i want to make sure i use her also to my end - for Obama's Guaranteed 8 years as president - instead of your hopeful fantasy that Americans will do the "right thing" - in '08

Indeed they will - your vision is actually right - but look back very carefully at the dates .. for your future as described is about to become an "alternate one" .. sadly lost in time and space looking backward for Eternity at what was lost to mistiming and poor-planning along with the majority of the self-interest egocentric humans

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And God-Damn Right i Stole it from the GPO "playbook" - the best Play they EVAR made with Reagan ... now it's Payback time
I'll bet you think Republicans are what's wrong with the US. Apparently you haven't looked in a mirror lately because from where I stand you are indistinguishable from them.

You are what's wrong with this country.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I'll bet you think Republicans are what's wrong with the US. Apparently you haven't looked in a mirror lately because from where I stand you are indistinguishable from them.

Are you republican? i respectfully ask that they get the Hell out of a thread that is expressly for "For Democrats" ... i don't give a CRAP what the Reps think - at all - of my strategy as it is a Big Dose of their Own Medicine - Fair is Fair. They - the Reps - had Regan and Bush .. we - the Dems - now can Have Clinton and then Obama - 16 years to readdress 16 years - a *balance* .. clearly we have a better team and the Reps will their work cut out for them for about 2 decades

How do you know anything about me? .. i DO NOT think "republicans are what is wrong with the US" ... i think we have runaway corporate Greed and a fricking War that is Killing US

You are incapable of attacking the argument so you attack the poster

Perhaps you're egocentric view is what is wrong with humans on this planet

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005

Attacking people just show that you ain't worried about the country but are playing the blame game. Both party have fucked up policy and people that have gotten the party in bad names.

Republican are :
*not willing raise min wage
*not doing anything about enviroment
*willing to give more power to federal reserver to fuck the economy more
*willing to Keep the war that is already lost

American can win battle against anyone at any part of world !! but they can not win peace with an army.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Are you republican? i respectfully ask that they get the Hell out of a thread that is expressly for "For Democrats" ... i don't give a CRAP what the Reps think - at all - of my strategy as it is a Big Dose of their Own Medicine - Fair is Fair. They - the Reps - had Regan and Bush .. we - the Dems - now can Have Clinton and then Obama - 16 years to readdress 16 years - a *balance* .. clearly we have a better team and the Reps will their work cut out for them for about 2 decades

How do you know anything about me? .. i DO NOT think "republicans are what is wrong with the US" ... i think we have runaway corporate Greed and a fricking War that is Killing US

I respectfully ask that you shut the fuck up. I'll post in any goddam thread I want.

And no, I'm not a Republican. And yes, you are part of the problem. You're just as bad as the Republicans.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Obama is ok. The success of the party is irrelevant, its the man not the party that matters. Two party control is the problem. We need another JFK like the black JFK we have in front of us today.
He's not perfect, he's not Ron Paul.. but he's good enough for 2008 if we can get him with Hillary off the ticket.

Hillary is the root of all problems, the solution to nothing. She needs to drop out. I could care less about the party, they betrayed us when they failed to end the Iraq war anyway.

I like Obama, not the democrats as a party.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005

I respectfully ask that you shut the fuck up. I'll post in any goddam thread I want.

And no, I'm not a Republican. And yes, you are part of the problem. You're just as bad as the Republicans.

Do you know anything than to personally attack someone. I hope you get a vacation from anandtech. You are so emotionally attached to subject that you can't see the whole picture. We are here to discuss constructive argument and all you can seem to be doing abusing member that don't share your idea.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

i disrespectfully ask you to do the same .. you have contributed nothing except a BS opinion that is a personal attack. Of course you are free to show your rudeness anywhere you like .. And you may be much worse than the Republicans since you prove you know absolutely nothing about me at all.

Perhaps a Parable of the Sheepies and the Goats may help ..

rose.gif

A mindless sheep will know nothing about my subject will not bother to even read thru my analysis and will have zero clue about what i am saying and yet the sheepie will insist that i am "bad" because i do not fit in a sheepie mold and they cannot understand that i could rather make an analysis that a sheep cannot attack - so the sheep will attack *the analyst* instead because they simply cannot comprehend it.

--it's OK with me - my message is for a Leader to understand .. not for his sheep :p

Hillary is the root of all problems, the solution to nothing. She needs to drop out.
As in Video, you can find the root of a problem without even trying! ... the root of all evi ... well, the b!tch WON'T quit - that is the reality - she *believes* in herself and she is a fighter .. she will quit when she is Candidate or when the Stupor Delegates tell her it is OVER. Until then she will continue to give Obama a small taste of what McLame's camp has in store.

And this *dissension* creates DOUBT and NEGATIVITY in Voter's minds. By the time this is over, all the White middle-age males will be voting for the "hero" in response to this mess in the other PARTY.

Unite the Party - Or Die ...

pretty simple really, the 13 colonies did something real similar ... an few of them took a "back seat" to George Washington even though they were perhaps even more qualified. They rallied around him and gave him all their support and the Greatest Experiment in Human Government was Born. i don't want to see it die in the 21st Century - that is all

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
It's looking more and more like wishful thinking the way the race is going.

But those Democrats who pine for the so-called dream ticket of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton now have somewhere semi-official to go on the web.

A group calling itself Democrats United for Clinton/Obama 08 launched a website today where like-minded partisans can sign an electronic petition to the Democratic National Committee urging an unity ticket.

http://www.voteboth.com/

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Obama can't unite the Dems, only McCain can do it.

Sadly, I agree. McCain will cause what's left of the Dems to unite, after a significant portion of them unite behind him.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: senseamp
Obama can't unite the Dems, only McCain can do it.

Sadly, I agree. McCain will cause what's left of the Dems to unite, after a significant portion of them unite behind him.

Or he could push independents back to the Democrats by pandering to the right wing.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
What do you guys think?

was my idea just ahead of its time?

it appears that Obama might *now* have some incentive to Unite the party .. it appears that he cannot win against McLame .. the race card will be played [McLame just asked the "fringe" to hold back - for now] .. white voters simply won't vote for Obama now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXxkctYRAZQ

Would Clinton/Obama still be the "dream team" for dems .. or forget it?
... McLame wins

rose.gif

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
If you put Obama and Hillary on the same ticket do you get a net positive or do their negatives just add up?

Are the people who hate Hillary going to suddenly forget that hate because Obama is on the ticket?
Are the people who are worried about Obama's friends going to suddenly ignore that problem because he is running with Hillary?

This is only a dream ticket for the Democrats because it ends the biter fight we see going on now. But I don't think these two will some how cancel out each others negatives.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
What do you guys think?

was my idea just ahead of its time?

it appears that Obama might *now* have some incentive to Unite the party .. it appears that he cannot win against McLame .. the race card will be played [McLame just asked the "fringe" to hold back - for now] .. white voters simply won't vote for Obama now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXxkctYRAZQ

Would Clinton/Obama still be the "dream team" for dems .. or forget it?
... McLame wins

rose.gif

I think it's far too late now. This was discussed leading up to, and shortly after, the Ohio/Texas primaries. At that time, I saw it as the best, if not only, chance at a Dem victory. Today, I'm not sure how either Dem could pull out a victory. I suppose, if they were to go REALLY nasty against McCain or if he were to have a major health issue between now and the general there might still be a chance. It looks like the Dems will be divided and worn down from the primaries but, there's still plenty of time for new twists and turns. Anything could still happen.

McCain has the luxury of time to plan GE campaigns against either Dem. His VP choices are going through the vetting process and I'm sure his choice will be based on which Dem he finds himself up against.

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by: RY62

I think it's far too late now. This was discussed leading up to, and shortly after, the Ohio/Texas primaries. At that time, I saw it as the best, if not only, chance at a Dem victory. Today, I'm not sure how either Dem could pull out a victory. I suppose, if they were to go REALLY nasty against McCain or if he were to have a major health issue between now and the general there might still be a chance. It looks like the Dems will be divided and worn down from the primaries but, there's still plenty of time for new twists and turns. Anything could still happen.

McCain has the luxury of time to plan GE campaigns against either Dem. His VP choices are going through the vetting process and I'm sure his choice will be based on which Dem he finds himself up against.

Unfortunately, it's an ongoing pattern with the Democratic party. If even the slightest opportunity presents itself to screw up what should have been an easy victory, the Democrats somehow manage to do it. And worse, they seem to reward and rally behind the people who seem to have the greatest potential to alienate voters and/or do harm to the party. Mondale-Ferraro, Dukakis-Bentsen, Gore-Lieberman, Kerry-Edwards... it's nothing short of miraculous, in fact, that Clinton managed to sneak in there for 8 years.

Even with as little as I post (relative to others who are more often thought of as regulars), I doubt that anyone who's read my posts would mistake me for a fan of the Republican party. But the fact that I usually consider the Democratic candidate the lesser of the evils doesn't ameliorate my disgust with the Democrats' inabilities to win an election. Even when it seems that all they have to do is sit back, shut up, and win (i.e. Dean), they still manage to screw it up. And after the once heir apparent does so, what do they do? Name him chairman of their party (even if it is just a figurehead position). How can a "political party" be so damned bad at playing politics?

If Obama gets the nomination, I'll vote for him... not because I think he's so great, but because he's done less, so far, to turn me off than Clinton and McCain (if Clinton gets the nom, as I've said before, I'll just refuse to vote for either of them). But as others have pointed out, I doubt it's even going to matter. The two of them have spent so much time, effort, and money dragging each other, their supporters, and their party through the mud that it's quickly getting to the point (if it hasn't already) where even if McCain keeled over from old age, between now and November, the Republican party could prop him up and put some sunglasses on him, a la Weekend at Bernies, and still pull of a victory. And as usual, it won't be because the Republicans are so good at winning, but because the Democrats are just so damned good at losing.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
If you put Obama and Hillary on the same ticket do you get a net positive or do their negatives just add up?

Are the people who hate Hillary going to suddenly forget that hate because Obama is on the ticket?
Are the people who are worried about Obama's friends going to suddenly ignore that problem because he is running with Hillary?

This is only a dream ticket for the Democrats because it ends the biter fight we see going on now. But I don't think these two will some how cancel out each others negatives.

i have to agree .. i had the best plan for the Dems when i suggested it :(
- now it may look really "fake"

we are apparently heading to Har-mageddon on the fast-track
rose.gif

. . . and i am going to party like it is 1.999
- may Chaos and Ms [Wounded-earth] Goddess save us
.. Sense has left the building and the planet