Obama's donor list

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...=aW_Qty8aiVTo&refer=us

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama's supporters are giving him more than just record amounts of cash. They also are providing personal information that may make his donor list the most powerful tool in U.S. politics.

Even if the Democratic presidential candidate doesn't succeed in his White House bid, this data will make Obama a power broker in the party for years to come. For the interest groups or Democratic candidates he chooses to sell it to, it would provide a gold mine of information and access to potential donors.

Sure, this kind of information can be extremely valuable but this just seems kind of shady to me. Looks like a campaign contribution is a gift that keeps on giving. I'm glad I didn't donate any money to any candidate. :Q

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
So Hillary and McCain don't collect personal information with their donations?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Collecting the info is one thing, giving it out is another.

Ron Paul apparently rents out his donor info, and others probably do too.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Clinton(s) helped sell our country to CHINA in more ways than you can imagine

Global Crossings.. such a fitting name

Selling a Cray supercomputer to them for weather related purposes only..

and on and on..

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
Clinton(s) helped sell our country to CHINA in more ways than you can imagine

Global Crossings.. such a fitting name

Selling a Cray supercomputer to them for weather related purposes only..

and on and on..

what does that have to do with this thread?

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
did it say anywhere that he is planning on selling it?

According to the Obama campaign's online privacy statement, it reserves the right to ``make personal information available to organizations with similar political viewpoints and objectives, in furtherance of our own political objectives.''

Fair-Market Value

Federal election laws require campaigns to charge for the use of their data. The campaign must either sell the information or record the transaction as an in-kind contribution at fair- market value.

Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor declined to comment on the value or possible future uses of the data.

Read into it what you think will happen. My opinion is, if it has value it will be sold.

Originally posted by: jpeyton

I would assume that they do. That's why I said "I'm glad I didn't donate any money to any candidate".

Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Collecting the info is one thing, giving it out is another.

Ron Paul apparently rents out his donor info, and others probably do too.

According to the article, they can't just give out the information. They have to charge for the use of their data. I'd bet it's a pretty common practice but it still seems kind of shady.

The article focuses on Obama's donor list because of the size of the list. I image some group will try to buy this list along with the lists from the other candidates and combine them into a super list. That super list would then be used by Democrat strategists in the future. Only a conspiracy theorist would think that someone would use the info for profit or in some negative way. ;)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I would guess that Obama already has the "super list". I recall that John Kerry was supposed to give Obama his list from the 2004 Presidential election.

Fern

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern
I would guess that Obama already has the "super list". I recall that John Kerry was supposed to give Obama his list from the 2004 Presidential election.

Fern

If I donated to John Kerry, I sure wouldn't want him to be sharing my contact information with other politicians without my permission.

anyway, here was an article about McCain when he was broke and left for dead before NH.
Apparently, he put his donor list up as collateral for a loan he received to continue his continue. Had he default (not likely since his wife is rich), the bank could have sold those names to the highest bidders.
link

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

The OP only spreads FUD about Obama.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic

Ok how am I spreading FUD about Obama this time? Is Bloomberg also considered to be a far right rag with absolutely no credibility? Did I show bias in the initial post when I said I'm glad I didn't donate any money to any candidate. I think I was clear that i thought this was shady from any candidate.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've not posted any anti-Obama threads in over a week. It'd be nice if a few of the Clinton and McCain bashers would try doing the same once in a while.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: RY62

Ok how am I spreading FUD about Obama this time? Is Bloomberg also considered to be a far right rag with absolutely no credibility? Did I show bias in the initial post when I said I'm glad I didn't donate any money to any candidate. I think I was clear that i thought this was shady from any candidate.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've not posted any anti-Obama threads in over a week. It'd be nice if a few of the Clinton and McCain bashers would try doing the same once in a while.

Exactly.

And before you act injured with your dozens of anti-Obama threads (if not one in the last week -- a claim I doubt) and call people "bashers," please point out where I have ever started a single thread with the express purpose of bashing ANY candidate?

Exactly again.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: RY62

Exactly.

And before you act injured with your dozens of anti-Obama threads (if not one in the last week -- a claim I doubt) and call people "bashers," please point out where I have ever started a single thread with the express purpose of bashing ANY candidate?

Exactly again.

When that question was asked I responded with: I would assume that they do. That's why I said "I'm glad I didn't donate any money to any candidate".

In my original post I quoted text from the article. I then went on to say: "I'm glad I didn't donate any money to any candidate". The article focused on Obama. I went further to include any candidate. Apparently, you only see what you want to see.

Before you act injured as if I was calling you a "basher" read again and see that you were again seeing what you wanted to see. I in no way referred to you as a basher. Are you feeling guilty of being a basher?