Obama's Church - back in the news

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
March:

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety... I can no more disown [Wright] than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother

April:

His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but they end up giving comfort to those that prey on hate.

May:

Senator Barack Obama is ending his membership at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago

what's next in store for June?

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
March:

Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety... I can no more disown [Wright] than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother

April:

His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but they end up giving comfort to those that prey on hate.

May:

Senator Barack Obama is ending his membership at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago

what's next in store for June?

He said he could not disown Wright... but he did.
He defended his Church ....... now he dumps it.
Next up...divorce Michelle! :laugh:

First he threw his pastor of 20 years under the bus, then his white grandmother and now the church. It seems that everything has a price and there is literally nothing he won?t do for power. Hmm...Isn't that what they said about Hillary?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
Wonder how the faithful are going to spin this.

He's a Muslim and he's going to go to a mosque. That's the truth.

Hillary's state -- the best nominee that's possible and the Democrats are throwing the election away. And for what?

AN INADEQUATE BLACK MALE. Who would not have been running if it wasn't a White woman who was running for President.

And I'm not gonna shut my mouth anymore!

I can be called White, but you can't be called Black and that's not my America.

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Thump553
This is hardly "late" in the campaign by any stretch of the imagination.

Obama distancing himself from the entire church is a good move for him and for the church. The church can perform as it wishes without be percieved as a surrogate for Obama, and Obama is free to define himself, as it should be.

Personally, I rue the day that religion became such a big factor in American politics. Nothing good-at all-has come of the intense religious focus of the last two decades in my opinion-but a whole lot of bad and unamerican behavior has resulted from this plague upon our house.

Agree w/ most. Its best for the church. I wonder just how many churches would withstand constant and international media scrutiny of every sermon. Too bad Obama wasn't a pentecostal or 7th Day Adventist so we could have seen some snake charming or speaking in tongues wacky shit. They didn't even sacrifice any virgins...

I think this year is proving just how politics and religion don't mix. I don't think most churches would welcome Big Brother Media in to analyze ever sermon. The churches will suffer the most , but so will politics.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Hillary's state -- the best nominee that's possible and the Democrats are throwing the election away. And for what?

AN INADEQUATE BLACK MALE. Who would not have been running if it wasn't a White woman who was running for President.

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

AN INADEQUATE BLACK MALE. Who would not have been running had it not even been running if it wasn't a White woman who was running for President.

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

Are you on an acid trip? That's the most rambling, paranoid, and nonsensical post I've seen in a while.

If Hillary was so great, why couldn't she beat an "inadequate" rival w/ little national experience? She was Goliath and she got whipped by David. If Obama is so weak, how could she possibly beat McCain eh? Esp w/ the huge negatives she started off with, and has only increased. She's only managed to destroy everything Bill ever accomplished in 8yrs.

She's an electoral lightweight. She's only had to run one real election, and even that she wimped out and went to NY, and heavy Democratic state w/ a weak opponent in Lazio. She hasn't ever had to fight for anything, and this campaign has showed it. She just expects to have things handed to her. This time it wasn't and she choked, of historical proportions.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: RichardE

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

It's about time we all stood up for it. I'm no second class citizen and GOD DAMN THE DEMOCRATS.

We couldn't even find out where this convention was being held. I came here for the vote of every American and our Democratic Party threw us down the tubes. I was a second class citizen before and now I'm NOTHING

Well I got news for all of you: McCain will be the next President of the United States

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

It's about time we all stood up for it. I'm no second class citizen and GOD DAMN THE DEMOCRATS.

We couldn't even find out where this convention was being held. I came here for the vote of every American and our Democratic Party threw us down the tubes. I was a second class citizen before and now I'm NOTHING

Well I got news for all of you: McCain will be the next President of the United States

Nope, he is going to lose. Your one vote means nothing. Didn't your god tell you to vote for Obama anyway?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

I think he's signed up for the Moonbeam School of Rambling Sarcasm and Hyperbole.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Well, that about proves what I've been saying all along. This guy is a racist piece of crap and truly believes everything he's been saying. Only NOW, after 20 years does he realize that his racist views are not welcome in America. Like only NOW after he realizes "wait? You mean america doesn't believe whitey is the root of all ills?" he pulls this.

So Senator Obama - How about "those typical white people?"

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

Nope, he is going to lose. Your one vote means nothing. Didn't your god tell you to vote for Obama anyway?

Psst...
check your sarcasm meter
he's imitating Harriet Christian, an ardent and angry Sen. Clinton supporter

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: RKDaley

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

Psst...
check your sarcasm meter

Who the fuck is that...??? Its usually more effective to parody someone people know, but haha, whatever. :p Never know these days who has lost their mind

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Hafen
Psst...
check your sarcasm meter

Who the fuck is that...??? Its usually more effective to parody someone people know, but haha, whatever. :p Never know these days who has lost their mind

She was ejected from the RBC meeting today. In the hallway outside, they taped her going off about Sen. Obama.

Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACQuZVAE3s

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

Psst...
check your sarcasm meter

Yeah, go ahead and piss off more Hillary supporters, see if they'd support Obama :roll:

maddmaxx

Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: RY62
The rumor mill says that Obama is attempting to distance himself from the damaging judgment questions by ending his membership with this church.

Edit:
I guess the rumors were true. :)

He is throwing the whole Church under the bus. If he felt it was the right thing to do - it should have been done before the campaign and on the spot. Or maybe as the first story broke.

...or maybe as a child he should have had the foresight to not join the church to begin with. He should have fought the urge to go to Christ being lead by a representative of a church that was filled with such hatred....

Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Why now after all this time? This is the act of a man who is deeply afraid of his public image.
Afraid? Nah.. I don't think so... I think this is more an act of a man who wishes to unite a diverse group of Americans - ALL Americans.. and unfortunately he feels he has to leave his church as a candidate for the President of this great country so that the ignorant ones who would use the church against him have no leverage there ........ yet, his leaving is still not enough for some... lol .. pathetic!

maddmaxx

Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
You mean america doesn't believe whitey is the root of all ills?" he pulls this.

So Senator Obama - How about "those typical white people?"
umm... what?

and it's America - with a capitol 'A' ....

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Psst...
check your sarcasm meter

She was ejected from the RBC meeting today. In the hallway outside, they taped her going off about Sen. Obama.

Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACQuZVAE3s

Bwhahaha :)

"What's your name?"
"Why, are you the CIA???!!"
"No, but you are about to be the next YouTube star"

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

IT'S EQUALITY FOR ALL

You have lost it.

Psst...
check your sarcasm meter

Yeah, go ahead and piss off more Hillary supporters, see if they'd support Obama :roll:

Who? The marshmallow shaped-dykes? ;)

I think the level of the hillary fanaticism is overplayed by their loudness on the entarnets. After the contrast to Scalia-loving McCain (who doesn't understand the economy) is made in the fall, most sensible voters, and also Dems, will not vote for him.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jklmt
I think you need to worry about Obama's assocaitions. You know bush and Cheny's asscoicaiotns are greedy war monger corporate type(so envious) but Obama's assocaiates seem to be fear race-bating, communisit-fascist-terrorist sympathizer mongers. At least we know Bush-Cheny types are Pro-American.

I don't want my President speaking to terroist. I want him to kill terrorist or anybody who threatens my country and my way of life. It's simple, there's no debating it.... they're the bad guys, we're the good guys and bad guys need to lose. Anything else is just another intellectual exercise while accoomplishing nothing but the merit of an argumen or point of view...pointless.

:confused:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

Go ahead. Vote McCain. Let me know how that works out for ya. Nevermind. I remember 2004.