Obama's Church - back in the news

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Since what the preacher said was correct what was the problem. I would think that white people who are in fact politically and financially advantaged from past discrimination, even if they didn't discriminate themselves, still benefit from that discrimination to the detriment of blacks. If you are well off because your grand father fucked people would it be too much to ask that you acknowledge that fact, and if you had any real decency at all you'd want to correct it. It's one thing to live on stolen money you didn't steal, but why do you think you should live on it guilt free or without the reality shoved in your face. Pigs are pigs but apparently don't like to be reminded of it.

Screw off. Most people in America are not well off because their great great great great grandparents, whom they probably don't even realized exist, owned a plantation and had black servants.

With someone who has the quote
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."
in his sig, I don't expect you to understand :laugh:

He was just confirming my pig theory.

My issue with illegal immigration has nothing to do with this "reverse" racism going on.

Nope, just your look on the fact what happened to the American Indians can be trivialized in a sig humor line. Would it be as funny if I said "The African American found out what happens when you come to American to do the dirty work!" as a anti-immigration statement? I'm surprised you missed the point entirely though.

The difference is your line isn't funny or applicable. I have mine there because it's applicable to our current situation.

You want to address the issue or keep pulling the same bullshit stawmen?

I'm sure the few thousands of Native Americans found your line hilarious /clap

It's not a bullshit straw man. I was merely pointing out your lack of being able to empathize with any people who might have felt slighted at what the white man did to his or her ancestors. Your sig provides pretty good justification for my assumption, your responses even more so.

(Not to mention if you had any knowledge whatsoever about early settlements you would know your line is not funny, nor applicable)

Good god you are dense. That quote isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's saying "See the Indians didn't control people coming into America, look what happened to them", it has zero to do with my ability to empathize. I pride myself in my ability to walk in other peoples shoes.

You are still failing to see that the people Obama associated with himself are racists... you're just saying it's okay for them to be racist because MY ancestors had their ancestors as slaves. WHICH IS NOT TRUE. I have not oppressed any black man (and neither did anyone in my family to my knowledge), so it is not fair for it to be said I am to be blamed for their lot in life. I understand why they might have a chip on their shoulder (Huckabee explained it very well).

I never said such thing. I was just pointing our your lack of empathy for situations we are not that far removed from.

Whatever. So, it's okay for Obama to associate himself so closely with racists? Doesn't this say a thing or two about his judgment?

As soon as it came out that they were racists he distanced himself. Its tragic to find out such a thing about a life long friend I would imagine.

No, no he did not. It took a good month after everything came out for him to distance himself. He said many good things about him even after the story broke and everything was out in the air.

He sat in the mans church for 20 years, that's approximately 640 sermons IF he only went once a week. Apparently he was active in his church and considered him his close friend, spiritual mentor, and adviser. You're telling me that Obama or his wife didn't hear at least 1 racist/bigoted sermon come out of his mouth? Give me a break. How can you believe that?

I have numerous close friends who turned out to have traits I don't agree with years later. Maybe if you socialized with people more you would believe it too. As such you are doing nothing more than trying to pin other peopels beliefs as Obamas responsibility, which is not only fishing but astounding in its stupidity. You have yet to come up with a reason as to why he should be responsidble for this mans beliefs besides paroting "his judgement, his judgement his judgement!!!!" yet I doubt you even understand what the word truly means when you show no judgement yourself in your ability to offends thousands of people in this nation with what you call a "joke" in your sig.

Sorry but to sit there and think that somehow Obama should have know 20 years beforehand he would be running for POTUS that he should, over the next 20 years carefully chose and screen his friends, companions and confidents incase someone in the media decides to attack him is not only unrealistic, but ignorant of how people go about there daily life.

He was attending his church, to my knowledge, as late as last year. He knew last year he was running for POTUS.

Learn to spell judgment, first of all. Second, Obama is running on his so called "judgment". If he is unable to figure out someone who he aligned himself to closely with, his judgment needs to be scrutinized. If it was a white man in his situation this would be a much different story.

Judgment
4 a: the process of forming an opinion or evaluation by discerning and comparing b: an opinion or estimate so formed
5 a: the capacity for judging : discernment b: the exercise of this capacity

What exactly is wrong with the definition?

I am not saying Obama is a racist just because he associates himself with racists, I'll let the bitter people of PA decide if he is. But, I question is judgment.

He is running on judgment? That is news to me...

You can questions his judgment all you want, the reason this died down as it did is because most peoples judgment of the situation is correct in the fact it means nothing. I question your judgment to be able to understand practical issues that face people everyday. We had a few white man on Senate with KKK connections, two who were actually part of the organization afaik. We've always had black members who were part of the 60's when the black mans future was decided who probably made comments that were racist at the time.

Why does this matter? It doesn't, thats the point.

(Edit: I never said your sig was racist did I? I said it offends thousands of people and shows a lack of empathy towards these people who are probably still sore at the history of the subject.)

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Robor
Am all I'm reading in this thread Obama-bots explaining away his poor judgment? It's sad that he has two high profile people like this in his life that he clings and YOU PEOPLE explain it away like it was no big deal. What if McCain was black and Obama was white... and his religious advisers were racists like this. Obama would have become a curse word.

Doesn't work that way. See: slavery.

So... because of what happened 200 years ago in this country by people I did not know, it's okay for blacks to be racist now? I don't think so.

And as a disclaimer: I do not feel all black people are racist, I think only a minority of them are racist .

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Am all I'm reading in this thread Obama-bots explaining away his poor judgment? It's sad that he has two high profile people like this in his life that he clings and YOU PEOPLE explain it away like it was no big deal. What if McCain was black and Obama was white... and his religious advisers were racists like this. Obama would have become a curse word.

So... because of what happened 200 years ago in this country by people I did not know, it's okay for blacks to be racist now? I don't think so.

And as a disclaimer: I do not feel all black people are racist, I think only a minority of them are racist .

I think the fact they only have been able to vote for a few decades and have been treated for equals for less than 40 years might contribute more to the feelings of racism. If you close your eyes though all the real history of America will go away though don't worry.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Since what the preacher said was correct what was the problem.

you think it's correct to imply that Hillary is a giant racist?

She fanned the flames of racism pitting 'working class whites' against Obama.

There are working class whites in Oregon. How do you explain that?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Very easy explanation.

White people live in Oregon who work.

She played the race card since the election started. I have yet to see where Obama, or even McCain has. McCain himself attacked one of his supporters for playing it. She is the only one so far.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

I'm referring to Hillary's campaigning in Penn. She wasn't actively doing it for the Oregon primary that I know of. Anyway, the results of the Oregon election don't discount Hillary deliberately fanning said flames.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
RichardE

Consider that Obama did know what was going on. He attended for many years and even apparently felt the message was OK for his kids.

Well, Obama said that he never heard Wight preach that poisonous message of hate. Really seems Wight only lost it recently as far as his message goes. So I guess you either fit into the "this guy preached this hate filled message twice a day every Sunday for the last 20 years or so" or "This was a recent event and Obama never heard these type of poisonous sermons.

I don't blame people for grasping onto it. Obama has pretty much been controversy immune but even this is fading for the reason that I suspect is most people understand this guy did not preach this sermon twice a day every Sunday for the last few decades.

If by recently, you mean at least 7+ years ago.

And for the Hussein defense, let's not forget the entire story and not just your version of it.

PHILADELPHIA, PA.- -Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), hoping to sideline a controversy that threatens his presidential quest, said Tuesday he will not ?disown? the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, as he pleaded for understanding that simmering anger in this county?from blacks and whites?fuels ?a racial stalemate we?ve been stuck in for years.?

Obama is trying to extricate himself from the crisis prompted by the surfacing of racially inflammatory sermons preached by his spiritual mentor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the senior pastor at Trinity United Chuch of Christ on Chicago?s South Side.

Obama admitted in his speech that he personally heard some of Wright?s fiery rhetoric. ?Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in the church? Yes.?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Actually we had that conversation a couple times, according to the local Hussein supporters yes it is allowed for the blacks to be racist, however because they are black it actually isn't considered racism. Don't ask me how, it's their defense.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Are you serious? His entire campaign has been on judgement. Thats why hes always disingenuously suggesting his vote against the war in Iraq was a good thing, to somehow show that he has good "judgement" when in fact, he only voted against the war because he is an anti-war liberal.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Oprah was smart enough to get out of this church a long time ago. I wonder why Oprah could see the dangers of Wrights' inflammatory rhetoric but Obama couldn't. Maybe Oprah should be running for president, she seems to have better judgement.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/135392/

According to two sources, Winfrey was never comfortable with the tone of Wright's more incendiary sermons, which she knew had the power to damage her standing as America's favorite daytime talk-show host.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett

Are you serious? His entire campaign has been on judgement. Thats why hes always disingenuously suggesting his vote against the war in Iraq was a good thing, to somehow show that he has good "judgement" when in fact, he only voted against the war because he is an anti-war liberal.

He couldn't vote on the war! When the war was going well he shut the fvck up about it and said he wouldn't have done anything different than Dubya!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

from the comfort of his liberal Chicago neighborhood, he denounced the war... then he said that he didn't know how he would have voted, didn't see much difference between his own position on the war and George Bush's, and then denounced the war again when he needed to run to the left of Hillary.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: The Cornballer
Hussein hates America, it becomes more apparent by the day.

Another member suggested that the her209 was being sarcastic when he post this idiocy. You don't appear to have enough intelligence to know what the word means so I'll repost my reply to him:

Did Obama solicit Hamas' statement endorsing him? NO!

Did Obama have any say in the name his parents gave him? NO!

Was Saddam Hussein, or the late King Hussein of Jordan relevant to the current Presidential election or to Barrak Obama when he was named? NO!

Are you a bigoted jackass for continuing to raise the subject as if it were anything other than unmitigated bullshit? YES? :thumbsdown:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

Another member suggested that the her209 was being sarcastic when he post this idiocy. You don't appear to have enough intelligence to know what the word means so I'll repost my reply to him:

Was Saddam Hussein, or the late King Hussein of Jordan relevant to the current Presidential election or to Barrak Obama when he was named? NO!

Are you a bigoted jackass for continuing to raise the subject as if it were anything other than unmitigated bullshit? YES? :thumbsdown:

it is my strong preference to refer to him as hussein, his name is hussein as far as i'm concerned, consider it his stage name if you will ;)

in fact, im debating putting a hussein 2008 sign on my lawn.
we got W, Sidney and Hussein... i'll go with that

i dont really need the rationale and im not sure why it bothers you so much.
HUSSEIN.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

it is my strong preference to refer to him as hussein, his name is hussein as far as i'm concerned, consider it his stage name if you will ;)

HUSSEIN.

So - what is it about "HUSSEIN" that so tickles your mind?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

He couldn't vote on the war! When the war was going well he shut the fvck up about it and said he wouldn't have done anything different than Dubya!

Sorry yeah thats what I meant. He obviously didnt have a chance to vote on it.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

HUSSEIN.

i think its just great. it's certainly distinct.. rolls off the tongue nice.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

HUSSEIN.

What about the name "HUSSEIN" makes you feel it "distinct?"

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000

HUSSEIN.

makes ME feel it distinct?
oh i think its distinct by virtue of rarity, not sure you need anything more to be distinct.:laugh:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

HUSSEIN.

oh i think its distinct by virtue of rarity, not sure you need anything more to be distinct.:laugh:

I asking you, sir - what about the name "HUSSEIN" makes you it worth focusing on - I'm just look for a bit of historic insight from your viewpoint.

As you have imparted, the "rarity" of the name has your attention - so what other names with "HUSSEIN" bring to your intellect?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000

HUSSEIN.

I asking you, sir - what about the name "HUSSEIN" makes you it worth focusing on - I'm just look for a bit of historic insight from your viewpoint.

perhaps you should re-read the gatdamn post.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi

Actually we had that conversation a couple times, according to the local Hussein supporters yes it is allowed for the blacks to be racist, however because they are black it actually isn't considered racism. Don't ask me how, it's their defense.

They don't have to be racist, but if they don't support Hillary, obviously they're not very smart!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

HUSSEIN.

perhaps you should re-read the gatdamn post.

Is it really too much for you to do a quick restate - just to humor an old man like me?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

I think the ones that voted for Obama are racist. I really wanted Hillary to win :(

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

HUSSEIN.

I like it because it makes people think he's a Muslim LOL :)