Obama's Church - back in the news

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
It seems both Obama and McCain have ties to religious nutjobs. I guess that's what happens when you have to embrace religion to get elected.

It's not religion, it's money. Standard politics.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
All in all, the guy is an idiot. Obama has won the primary, so now the only goal he has to focus on is getting the 50% of the party who didn't vote for him to vote for him. Any time any one of his surrogates is heard slamming Hillary, especially with this "white entitlement" crap, Obama loses a few more voters who may not go to McCain, but who will just not feel any real desire to go out and vote for him. Forget bad politics, it's bad business. Obama will have to do better than "disappointed."

Obama needs to start speaking to the Hillary supporters, start doing what he claims he is good at, reaching across the aisle. If he can't appeal to half the dems, he won't be able to appeal to any reps. His chances at winning the general keep dimming.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: OrByte
the priest openly and brazenly mocks HRC...waaa waaa

How is this Obama's problem again?

Didnt you guys already try the guild by assocation fallacious reasoning ?

It makes you look at Obama's judgment because I think he knew who this priest was. They also lived in the same city.

At some point, Obama said he respected him. Why would you respect someone who makes statements like this?

It's about judgment

jeez I respect and love my dad even though he says something racist maybe every other day!!

his views still dont affect my judgement if anything it makes me even more conscious of my own POV.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: RY62

I'm sure you'd like this to just be about mocking Clinton but it's not. It's about another long time associate of Obama spewing the same hate filled divisive messages as his pastor, Rev Wright. It goes to show that Wright was not an isolated incident in the church that Obama attended for 20 years. It goes to show that Obama has chosen to associate with people like this nut job, Wright, Ayers, Dohrn, etc. that most Americans would steer clear of.

Transcript:

Pfleger is introduced as "a friend of Trinity", and then the YouTube skips ahead to one section:

I must now to address the one who says, 'don't hold me responsible for what my ancestors did.' But you have enjoyed the benefits of what your ancestors did! And unless you are ready to give up the benefits ? Throw away your 401 fund! [sic] Throw away your trust fund! Throw away all the money that been put away in the company you walked into 'cause your daddy and your granddaddy and your great grandaddy ?

(screaming at the top of his lungs)

Unless you are willing to give up the benefits, then you must be responsible for what was done in your generation! 'Cause you are the beneficiary of this insurance policy!

Words cannot describe the surreality of watching a middle-aged white man in a priest's collar appearing like he is trying to imitate Jeremiah Wright at his most outrageous.

[garbled] expose white entitlement. And supremacy, wherever it raises its head. I said before, I really don't want ot make this political, because you know I'm really very unpolitical.

When Hillary was crying, and people said that was put on, I really don't believe it was put on. I really believe that she just always thought, 'this is mine. I'm Bill's wife. I'm white, and this is mine. I just gotta get up and step into the plate.'

Then out of nowhere, 'I'm Barack Obama!'

Imitating Hillary's response, screaming at the top of his lungs again, he continues, 'Ah, damn! Where did you come from? I'm white! I'm entitled! There's a black man stealing my show!'

(mocks crying)

She wasn't the only one crying, there was a whole lot of white people crying!

I'm sorry. I don't want in any more trouble. The live-streaming just went out again."

The argument that 401(k) accounts are inherent representations of white supremacy will be news to many, many Americans.

SO?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
It seems both Obama and McCain have ties to religious nutjobs. I guess that's what happens when you have to embrace religion to get elected.

Winnar!

one of these people has had ties to religious nutjobs for 20 years, the other one has had ties to religious nutjobs for a couple months.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

Winnar!

one of these people has had ties to religious nutjobs for 20 years, the other one deliberately solicited the support of known bigoted religious nutjobs for a couple months.

Fixed.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

Winnar!

one of these people has had ties to religious nutjobs for 20 years, the other one has had ties to corporate military industrial complex nutjobs for a couple decades.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

It makes you look at Obama's judgment because I think he knew who this priest was. They also lived in the same city.

At some point, Obama said he respected him. Why would you respect someone who makes statements like this?

It's about judgment

jeez I respect and love my dad even though he says something racist maybe every other day!!

his views still dont affect my judgement if anything it makes me even more conscious of my own POV.

Father is what they call priests in Catholic. It's not Obama's actual father so Obama CHOSE him using his supposed judgment.

Say goodbye to your nomination. "We've broken the tie, and, thanks to you, it's full speed onto the White House" -- Hillary Clinton, after Indiana primary

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
A classic case of the right wing exploiting the issue of "politically correct" language and behavior. Fox News, et al. is deliberately using this in an attempt to stir up trouble in the Dem party.

From the soundbite I've seen (far too often, I might add) this is basically an amateur comedy routine.

In defense of Fox, they needed something like this because their retaliation against real news (McClellan book) was so frightfully weak, and they need a diversion from McClellan.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Thump553
A classic case of the right wing exploiting the issue of "politically correct" language and behavior. Fox News, et al. is deliberately using this in an attempt to stir up trouble in the Dem party.

From the soundbite I've seen (far too often, I might add) this is basically an amateur comedy routine.

In defense of Fox, they needed something like this because their retaliation against real news (McClellan book) was so frightfully weak, and they need a diversion from McClellan.

If this is true then it is a classic case of blowback for the left.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Thump553

If this is true then it is a classic case of blowback for the left.

:thumbsup::laugh::thumbsup:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Since what the preacher said was correct what was the problem. I would think that white people who are in fact politically and financially advantaged from past discrimination, even if they didn't discriminate themselves, still benefit from that discrimination to the detriment of blacks. If you are well off because your grand father fucked people would it be too much to ask that you acknowledge that fact, and if you had any real decency at all you'd want to correct it. It's one thing to live on stolen money you didn't steal, but why do you think you should live on it guilt free or without the reality shoved in your face. Pigs are pigs but apparently don't like to be reminded of it.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Am all I'm reading in this thread Obama-bots explaining away his poor judgment? It's sad that he has two high profile people like this in his life that he clings and YOU PEOPLE explain it away like it was no big deal. What if McCain was black and Obama was white... and his religious advisers were racists like this. Obama would have become a curse word.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Since what the preacher said was correct what was the problem. I would think that white people who are in fact politically and financially advantaged from past discrimination, even if they didn't discriminate themselves, still benefit from that discrimination to the detriment of blacks. If you are well off because your grand father fucked people would it be too much to ask that you acknowledge that fact, and if you had any real decency at all you'd want to correct it. It's one thing to live on stolen money you didn't steal, but why do you think you should live on it guilt free or without the reality shoved in your face. Pigs are pigs but apparently don't like to be reminded of it.

Screw off. Most people in America are not well off because their great great great great grandparents, whom they probably don't even realized exist, owned a plantation and had black servants.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

Screw off. Most people in America are not well off because their great great great great grandparents, whom they probably don't even realized exist, owned a plantation and had black servants.

With someone who has the quote
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."
in his sig, I don't expect you to understand :laugh:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

With someone who has the quote
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."
in his sig, I don't expect you to understand :laugh:

He was just confirming my pig theory.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Since what the preacher said was correct what was the problem.

you think it's correct to imply that Hillary is a giant racist?

Well she did mention race a number of times in this election. As well she had a few staffers that resigned after they made racist remarks. When you surround yourself with people like that, if you are not racist you do have to question the persons judgment.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

You do realize the majority of the black population in this country has more of a family history within this country than the rest of the whites in this country? A large % of the whites in this country saw their relatives come over in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Well after salvery was abolished.

And you know what? Many nationalities of whites were discriminated against but somehow managed to pull themselves out of the shitter. We had immigration laws based on not allowing people from southern europe of catholic religion into this country for years.

So get off your soapbox.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

Well she did mention race a number of times in this election. As well she had a few staffers that resigned after they made racist remarks. When you surround yourself with people like that, if you are not racist you do have to question the persons judgment.

:laugh:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

which Clinton staffers resigned after making racist remarks? :confused:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: her209
Never mind that. The man was endorsed by Hamas!!!

And his middle name is Hussein!!!!

Did Obama solicit Hamas' statement endorsing him? NO!

Did Obama have any say in the name his parents gave him? NO!

Was Saddam Hussein, or the late King Hussein of Jordan relevant to the current Presidential election or to Barrak Obama when he was named? NO!

Are your bigoted jackass for continuing to raise the subject as if it were anything other than unmitigated bullshit? YES? :thumbsdown:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Perhaps. I knew the used drugs of course, but that was there own business, and as such it never affected there judgment or ability to maintain the house and watch over everything.
Right, because illegal drugs are the product of hard and honest work, that never was the cause of any crimes.

Really, as I've said before, support an empty suite all you want, just don't become stupid in the process.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Perhaps. I knew the used drugs of course, but that was there own business, and as such it never affected there judgment or ability to maintain the house and watch over everything.
Right, because illegal drugs are the product of hard and honest work, that never was the cause of any crimes.

Really, as I've said before, support an empty suite all you want, just don't become stupid in the process.

:laugh: I didn't think you guys would have an answer to association makes one guilty