Obama's Church - back in the news

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: RY62
If you really had no knowledge of their activities then no. But neither should you be elected President if you were that close for that long and too stupid to have a clue what they were doing.
Bingo -- couldn't have said it better.

Obama seems to be a trusting and decent human being. But strikes me as too trusting and not savvy enough, a bit of a deer in the headlights if you will. Just a feeling I have but I believe his wife more than him was the one who was really into the stuff they were preaching at that church. Carries a bit of a chip on her shoulder and is a couple of pointed questions from an aggressive interviewer away from blowing up his candidacy by saying something "honest."

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: OrByte
the priest openly and brazenly mocks HRC...waaa waaa

How is this Obama's problem again?

Didnt you guys already try the guild by assocation fallacious reasoning ?

It makes you look at Obama's judgment because I think he knew who this priest was. They also lived in the same city.

At some point, Obama said he respected him. Why would you respect someone who makes statements like this?

It's about judgment

So you think this guy preached the same hate filled sermon for the last few decades?

Well, not all the time. I don't know who he is all the way, but all you have to do is watch the clip. It's about judgment.

Last I checked you need judgment to be President. Am I right or am I right?

I really want Clinton to be President.

Of course you need judgment. Should I interrogate every one of my friends though just in case 10 years down the road I'm famous and they make a racist comment? If Wight made these comments and you saw Obama there next Sunday that could be an issue, and it would have been an issue. It didn't happen though.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005

I'm sure you'd like this to just be about mocking Clinton but it's not. It's about another long time associate of Obama spewing the same hate filled divisive messages as his pastor, Rev Wright. It goes to show that Wright was not an isolated incident in the church that Obama attended for 20 years. It goes to show that Obama has chosen to associate with people like this nut job, Wright, Ayers, Dohrn, etc. that most Americans would steer clear of.

Transcript:

Pfleger is introduced as "a friend of Trinity", and then the YouTube skips ahead to one section:

I must now to address the one who says, 'don't hold me responsible for what my ancestors did.' But you have enjoyed the benefits of what your ancestors did! And unless you are ready to give up the benefits ? Throw away your 401 fund! [sic] Throw away your trust fund! Throw away all the money that been put away in the company you walked into 'cause your daddy and your granddaddy and your great grandaddy ?

(screaming at the top of his lungs)

Unless you are willing to give up the benefits, then you must be responsible for what was done in your generation! 'Cause you are the beneficiary of this insurance policy!

Words cannot describe the surreality of watching a middle-aged white man in a priest's collar appearing like he is trying to imitate Jeremiah Wright at his most outrageous.

[garbled] expose white entitlement. And supremacy, wherever it raises its head. I said before, I really don't want ot make this political, because you know I'm really very unpolitical.

When Hillary was crying, and people said that was put on, I really don't believe it was put on. I really believe that she just always thought, 'this is mine. I'm Bill's wife. I'm white, and this is mine. I just gotta get up and step into the plate.'

Then out of nowhere, 'I'm Barack Obama!'

Imitating Hillary's response, screaming at the top of his lungs again, he continues, 'Ah, damn! Where did you come from? I'm white! I'm entitled! There's a black man stealing my show!'

(mocks crying)

She wasn't the only one crying, there was a whole lot of white people crying!

I'm sorry. I don't want in any more trouble. The live-streaming just went out again."

The argument that 401(k) accounts are inherent representations of white supremacy will be news to many, many Americans.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Gay-Homosexural Illegal Extra-Terrestrial Aliens Hate the Troops!

DEVELOPING...

Washington--

Gay-homosexural alien invaders expressed their distaste for "the troops" at a gay alien orgy cum rally at the Washington mall this afternoon.

Gay illegal invader, Rod Xenopus, spoke of the reasons he has decided to make his voice heard.

"Frankly, every time I make love to a recycling machine at the super market, I am either confronted or even harrassed by security. This is United States, Earth, god damnit!

"The security guards are poorly trained and are insensitive to our culture. We are accustommed to making abrupt but passionate love with recycling machines in public. Inevitably, the local security cannot handle the combination of our puzzlement, rage, and the ability to control their feeble human mind. That's when the freaking army always gets involved.

Furthermore, we feel that the overbearing push to recruit our brethren for their superior intelligence-gathering and interpreter skills is discriminatory, given that we are not able to wash our egg-sacs in customary privacy when deployed in common barrack amenities in very sandy environments."

In other words, the gay-homosexual aliens hate the troops. They also wear queer terrorist scarves, if that sort of thing outrages you even more.

--
Your correspondent,
Dirk McAmerican

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

It makes you look at Obama's judgment because I think he knew who this priest was. They also lived in the same city.

At some point, Obama said he respected him. Why would you respect someone who makes statements like this?

It's about judgment

So you think this guy preached the same hate filled sermon for the last few decades?

Well, not all the time. I don't know who he is all the way, but all you have to do is watch the clip. It's about judgment.

Of course you need judgment. Should I interrogate every one of my friends though just in case 10 years down the road I'm famous and they make a racist comment? If Wight made these comments and you saw Obama there next Sunday that could be an issue, and it would have been an issue. It didn't happen though.

Yeah, but he's still the same person even though he wasn't saying it at the time that Obama was there. Was it just a coincidence that he wasn't there on that exact day?

Can't we just forget about Obama? I really want Hillary :(

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

It's about judgment

Yeah, but he's still the same person even though he wasn't saying it at the time that Obama was there. Was it just a coincidence that he wasn't there on that exact day?

:beer: /hug

It'll be ok

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: RY62

I'm sure you'd like this to just be about mocking Clinton but it's not. It's about another long time associate of Obama spewing the same hate filled divisive messages as his pastor, Rev Wright. It goes to show that Wright was not an isolated incident in the church that Obama attended for 20 years. It goes to show that Obama has chosen to associate with people like this nut job, Wright, Ayers, Dohrn, etc. that most Americans would steer clear of.

Transcript:

Pfleger is introduced as "a friend of Trinity", and then the YouTube skips ahead to one section:

I must now to address the one who says, 'don't hold me responsible for what my ancestors did.' But you have enjoyed the benefits of what your ancestors did! And unless you are ready to give up the benefits ? Throw away your 401 fund! [sic] Throw away your trust fund! Throw away all the money that been put away in the company you walked into 'cause your daddy and your granddaddy and your great grandaddy ?

(screaming at the top of his lungs)

Unless you are willing to give up the benefits, then you must be responsible for what was done in your generation! 'Cause you are the beneficiary of this insurance policy!

Words cannot describe the surreality of watching a middle-aged white man in a priest's collar appearing like he is trying to imitate Jeremiah Wright at his most outrageous.

[garbled] expose white entitlement. And supremacy, wherever it raises its head. I said before, I really don't want ot make this political, because you know I'm really very unpolitical.

When Hillary was crying, and people said that was put on, I really don't believe it was put on. I really believe that she just always thought, 'this is mine. I'm Bill's wife. I'm white, and this is mine. I just gotta get up and step into the plate.'

Then out of nowhere, 'I'm Barack Obama!'

Imitating Hillary's response, screaming at the top of his lungs again, he continues, 'Ah, damn! Where did you come from? I'm white! I'm entitled! There's a black man stealing my show!'

(mocks crying)

She wasn't the only one crying, there was a whole lot of white people crying!

I'm sorry. I don't want in any more trouble. The live-streaming just went out again."

The argument that 401(k) accounts are inherent representations of white supremacy will be news to many, many Americans.

I notice your not really answering anything in this thread. Is there a reason?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

It's about judgment

It'll be ok

HEY! This isn't something to joke about.

Do you know how many nights I had to cry myself to sleep since February when it became clear Hillary wasn't going to win?

If you have nothing constructive to say about THE ACTUAL TOPIC, then maybe you're like Obama's priest Pfleger -- all talk and BAD JUDGMENT...for OBAMA

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

It's about judgment

It'll be ok

HEY! This isn't something to joke about.

Do you know how many nights I had to cry myself to sleep since February when it became clear Hillary wasn't going to win?

If you have nothing constructive to say about THE ACTUAL TOPIC, then maybe you're like Obama's priest Pfleger -- all talk and BAD JUDGMENT...for OBAMA

Want another :beer: ?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Just like Obama. Drinking a beer for the cameras :rolls eyes;

This story is about judgment.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

I know, I'm hoping that by getting you intoxicated we can reverse that bad judgment of wanting Hilary in office ;)

justly

Banned
Jul 25, 2003

As I said earlier, people are crucifying these people for messing up one sermon, or a few hours of poor judgment (in this mans case)

I think the real concern isn't that he had poor judgment, but instead the judgment of the congregation that Obama was a part of for some 20 or so years. The congregation didn't seem to be disgusted, surprised or even question what was said, in fact they seemed to wholeheartedly approve of it.

Are we to now believe that the people standing up from their seat and/or clapping because of what was said where not really listening and didn't hear this poor judgment?

It would take a leap of faith much larger than I am able to believe that Obama, his wife and children all didn't have a clue as to what was being taught in that church. Now you may not agree, and I can respect your right to believe otherwise even if I am not able to make that leap of faith.

What disturbes me is that he is either lieing about not knowing what was being said in his church and approved of by its congregation, or that he is telling the truth and is oblivious as to what is going on right in front of his eyes. Either way I don't see how I can trust his judgment.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: justly

As I said earlier, people are crucifying these people for messing up one sermon, or a few hours of poor judgment (in this mans case)

I think the real concern isn't that he had poor judgment, but instead the judgment of the congregation that Obama was a part of for some 20 or so years. The congregation didn't seem to be disgusted, surprised or even question what was said, in fact they seemed to wholeheartedly approve of it.

Are we to now believe that the people standing up from their seat and/or clapping because of what was said where not really listening and didn't hear his poor judgment?

It would take a leap of faith much larger than I am able to believe that Obama, his wife and children all didn't have a clue as to what was being taught in that church. Now you may not agree, and I can respect your right to believe otherwise even if I am not able to make that leap of faith.

What disturbes me is that he is either lieing about not knowing what was being said in his church and approved of by its congregation, or that he is telling the truth and is oblivious as to what is going on right in front of his eyes. Either way I don't see how I can trust his judgment.

So now we've gone from his pastor to the congregation? So you are in the boat that this man taught the same hate spewed sermon for the last few decades than? Since if only recently that he started doing this (year or two post 9/11) than the rest of the congregation was in the clear as well as far as "guilty by association" goes.

justly

Banned
Jul 25, 2003
Are you a memeber of this congregation? if you are then you will obviously not see a problem, if you are not then I have to ask if someone came up your place of worship and said something you didn't believe in would you stand up and cheer?

Better yet, if you don't think McCain would make a good president would you stand up and cheer for him if he showed up at a social function that you where attending and gave a speech?

I am not just talking about association, I am making a rational observation based on their reaction to what was being said.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It really is amazing all the racial bigotry that comes out of that place yet Obama is 150% immune to it or didnt know about it until now.

Quick, parade some Hagee stories to divert attention.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I see this as nothing more than Pfleger's attempt to grab headlines. He knew people would be watching and that there would be scrutiny. Who the hell throws politics into a Sunday sermon?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
This is one really wacked out church...why does Obama go there?

Apparently he was only there on the days where something controversial or political were not said.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Descartes
Who the hell throws politics into a Sunday sermon?

I agree. To add to it, I cant understand why these "Ministers" think it is acceptable to belittle ANYONE, especially on a stage like a Church.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
It seems both Obama and McCain have ties to religious nutjobs. I guess that's what happens when you have to embrace religion to get elected.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Genx87
It really is amazing all the racial bigotry that comes out of that place yet Obama is 150% immune to it or didnt know about it until now.

Quick, parade some Hagee stories to divert attention.

Originally posted by: Red Dawn
It seems both Obama and McCain have ties to religious nutjobs. I guess that's what happens when you have to embrace religion to get elected.

SCORE!!!!

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Winnar!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Sort of like downing - actually sipping - a shot with the guys on camera like Hillary did? Your hypocrisy knows no bounds, eh?

BTW, how drunk were you last night? I'm guessing... :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: (left 1 of the 12 pack for morning hair of the dog) :p