Obama will win the Democratic Nomination.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Winning the Democratic nomination? Most likely.
Winning the Presidency? I'm not so sure. The Reps have yet to start on him in earnest. I believe they've let Democratic internal politics do whatever harm it can, and then it will all begin. Also please remember, we're talking about an electorate that elected Bush TWICE. My confidence in the average voter to find their way out of a paper bag isn't very high.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Winning the Democratic nomination? Most likely.
Winning the Presidency? I'm not so sure. The Reps have yet to start on him in earnest. I believe they've let Democratic internal politics do whatever harm it can, and then it will all begin. Also please remember, we're talking about an electorate that elected Bush TWICE. My confidence in the average voter to find their way out of a paper bag isn't very high.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have to disagree. The democrats have a secret weapon this year named GWB and I think many of his far flung chickens of bad policy will come home to roost by fall. If the economy tanks and Iraq flares up again, stick a fork in McCain, he is done.

In terms of elections, the dems ran Kerry who failed to connect with the American public. And running as a smarter GWB doomed him. But still the election of 2000 and 2004 were almost identical in States taken in the electoral college and did show America as a deeply divided 50 50 nation.

The election of 11/06 was widely seen as a referendum on the governance of GWB. And in that election, the GOP got creamed. Losing its majority in the house which was expected as all seats had to run. But when the GOP lost in the Senate where only 1/3 of the Seats were open, the loss of a six seat majority has to be regarded as a whiz bang wonder. Since then the GOP congress has gridlocked the nation and very few people now can regard the GOP members of congress as their saviors. And above all, America is far worse off than it was
eight years ago. Something like 80% of the people think this nation is heading in the wrong direction and maybe a raw majority are now SEETHING MAD AT GWB&co. But certainly about 75% are at least very very disturbed with GOP policy.

I have faith in the American voter. They have been fooled before but they are really wising up now. The GOP electorate firmly rejected the big phonies with Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney, and Giuliani. McCain is going to have to live with the GWB label.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
One thing I don't understand is why are people equating Bush to McCain? Isn't that an unfair comparison. McCain had nothing to do with the last 8 years. Now him being a republican may mean he has similar viewpoints as GWB, but why don't people talk about policies instead of spinning relationships like this. Even Obama, my man, did this in his speech yesterday. Kinda against his principle of being focused on the issues :confused: He's still the best US will have for a long, long time though.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Also please remember, we're talking about an electorate that elected Bush TWICE. My confidence in the average voter to find their way out of a paper bag isn't very high.

Therein lies the problem. It's pathetic, but the person the Dems really need to convince is Joe Trailer Park; that his life is bad under Bush, and will not improve under McCain. Get ready for some low-brow campaign strategy that revolves around losing lives in Iraq and losing your wallets over gas prices.

Originally posted by: Barack Obama
McCain had nothing to do with the last 8 years. Now him being a republican may mean he has similar viewpoints as GWB, but why don't people talk about policies instead of spinning relationships like this.

Hasn't he made it pretty clear that his policies aren't just "similar viewpoints," but likely to follow closely in Bush's footsteps? If they're both incompetent warmongerers,who can't be trusted with money, it's a fair comparison.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
looks like we're finally a day or two away from it being officially official.

I, for one, am really looking forward to the next stage of the game -- seeing if there's any truth to Obama's claim to be a uniter, not a divider, because if he can't unify his own party in the face of an opposition that shares 99% of his views, how's he going to unify a nation that does have real fundamental differences with the democratic party platform?

I hope he can pull it off. :thumbsup: