Obama wearing a flag pin in WV?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
http://www.gettyimages.com/Sea...81055101|0&id=81061106

I guess he needs to put his patriotism on his lapel when he's trying to convince these poor, uneducated white voters to stop clinging to their religion and get aboard the hope train.

I wonder if the pin only had 48 stars, since apparently FL and MI don't count. :p

(I kid, I kid... I just thought it was kinda weird that he'd break out the flag pin after so totally denouncing the fake patriotism he said it represented)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Obama said that he sometimes wears one and sometimes does not. It's not the wearing of the pin, but that it represents some litmus test of patriotism. To not wear it constantly means you are not supporting your country, which is of course BS.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Obama said that he sometimes wears one and sometimes does not. It's not the wearing of the pin, but that it represents some litmus test of patriotism. To not wear it constantly means you are not supporting your country, which is of course BS.

If you have to wear a pin you are a slave to your country, not a person who is free because of your country.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

I guess he needs to put his patriotism on his lapel when he's trying to convince these poor, uneducated white voters to stop clinging to their religion and get aboard the hope train.

I wonder if the pin only had 48 stars, since apparently FL and MI don't count. :p

(I kid, I kid... I just thought it was kinda weird that he'd break out the flag pin after so totally denouncing the fake patriotism he said it represented)

Your candidate turned into a whiskey slamming, gun toting, nuke threatening voter whore, and you start a thread like this?

Wow.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

Your candidate turned into a whiskey slamming, gun toting, nuke threatening voter whore, and you start a thread like this?

Wow.

Dayum... when you put it like that, She's HOT! :D
If she starts going to Nascar races and takes up bass fishin', she'll be damn close to the perfect woman.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Wow.

I never thought of McCain as a voter whore.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Strange, I thought he was proving a point about not needing to wear one. Have the 25-hour news networks jumped all over it yet?

Originally posted by: Moonbeam
If you have to wear a pin you are a slave to your country, not a person who is free because of your country.

Someone around here has a sig that says, "When you can no longer burn the flag, maybe you should."

Anyway, I prefer not to consider the rabid news media to be the voice of my entire country, thank you very much. Now, where's that End Transmission switch...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Dunno, but the pin looks kinda photo-chopped to me, around the bottom side...

Not that it matters one way or the other...

Although a real patriot should have the flag tatooed on their dick, wave it around in public...

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
He has repeatedly made the point about not needing to wear one to show your patriotism, that's why he doesn't wear them for debates or campaign rallies. In this circumstance, he was doing it out of respect for the veterans he was speaking to. He's done it several times before.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I am windering if it has 57 stars :D

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Phony traditions like these are always weird to me. I mean, how long has it been a supposed patriotic tradition for a Presidential candidate to wear one of these flag pins? Maybe since Reagan? Certainly no further back than Nixon...

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: bamacre
Does this mean he's not Muslim anymore?

Nope. At least in West Virginia he still is -- Text

Yea its stupid sh1t like this and comments like the OP is doing here and people whonder why Bush got a 2nd term and we are in the mess we are in.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Personally, I will not vote for anyone who does not have the an American flag tattoo on their forehead, their chest, and on the bottom of their feet. Pins can come on and off, a tattoo is enduring. Proof positive we are dealing with a real patriot.

In fact it reminds me of the story of my cousin Fred. As a young man he enlisted in the US army but they threw him out of a section 8 discharge. He went on to rewarding criminal career involving bank robbery, kidnapping, extortion, and a few rumored murders they never quite proved. One day his promising criminal career was cut short when the cops caught him. And it looked like curtains for Fred when the Judge said 80 years in the slammer. But fortunately for Fred, he met up with a excellent tattoo artist in the joint. And Fred soon had him give him that full set of American Flag tattoos.

And just like that, Fred was transformed. The Prison Warden was so impressed he released Fred immediately. And our family could not be more proud of Fred who now always leads our town's Fourth of July parades. And he no longer needs to be a criminal. Now he just shows up at the local bank, openly empties the safe and tells the tellers that its for Uncle Sam.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

Wow.

Dayum... when you put it like that, She's HOT! :D
If she starts going to Nascar races and takes up bass fishin', she'll be damn close to the perfect woman.

Must resist...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe he only puts the pin on when he is in an area controlled by people with guns and Bibiles!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
Phony traditions like these are always weird to me. I mean, how long has it been a supposed patriotic tradition for a Presidential candidate to wear one of these flag pins? Maybe since Reagan? Certainly no further back than Nixon...

Pretty sure it actually just started after 9/11.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
This does not represent more than one person in WV and the results in that state will be completely relevant:

Obama rubs the Hortons the wrong way because they think he's arrogant. It's the same thing you hear from voters in a lot of the parts of the country where Obama's infamous remarks about bitterness would probably also apply. But that's not his only problem in rural West Virginia. "They won't go for a black man, that's just it," R.K. Horton, a retired heating and air conditioning business owner, said of his neighbors. "I don't think it's being racist necessarily, they just don't like black people that well." For that matter, it's not just his neighbors. "The arrogance and all that bothers me more than black, but black is a close second," he said. "Our generation was back when blacks were the back of the bus, and it's hard to change that outlook. I just feel like I couldn't vote for him."

http://www.salon.com/news/feat...st_virginia/index.html

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Personally, I will not vote for anyone who does not have the an American flag tattoo on their forehead, their chest, and on the bottom of their feet. Pins can come on and off, a tattoo is enduring. Proof positive we are dealing with a real patriot.

In fact it reminds me of the story of my cousin Fred. As a young man he enlisted in the US army but they threw him out of a section 8 discharge. He went on to rewarding criminal career involving bank robbery, kidnapping, extortion, and a few rumored murders they never quite proved. One day his promising criminal career was cut short when the cops caught him. And it looked like curtains for Fred when the Judge said 80 years in the slammer. But fortunately for Fred, he met up with a excellent tattoo artist in the joint. And Fred soon had him give him that full set of American Flag tattoos.

And just like that, Fred was transformed. The Prison Warden was so impressed he released Fred immediately. And our family could not be more proud of Fred who now always leads our town's Fourth of July parades. And he no longer needs to be a criminal. Now he just shows up at the local bank, openly empties the safe and tells the tellers that its for Uncle Sam.

There is no way in hell I would believe a word of this but the exact same thing happened to my uncle Bob.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
This does not represent more than one person in WV and the results in that state will be completely relevant:

Obama rubs the Hortons the wrong way because they think he's arrogant. It's the same thing you hear from voters in a lot of the parts of the country where Obama's infamous remarks about bitterness would probably also apply. But that's not his only problem in rural West Virginia. "They won't go for a black man, that's just it," R.K. Horton, a retired heating and air conditioning business owner, said of his neighbors. "I don't think it's being racist necessarily, they just don't like black people that well." For that matter, it's not just his neighbors. "The arrogance and all that bothers me more than black, but black is a close second," he said. "Our generation was back when blacks were the back of the bus, and it's hard to change that outlook. I just feel like I couldn't vote for him."

huh?

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Wearing a flag pin is a form of patriotic chest-thumping, a way of bragging about being a "patriot".

And to quote Bill Maher:

"Saying you're patriotic is like saying you have a big cock. If you have to say it, it probably isn't true."

If you are a politician, please respect the flag and the rest of us by only wearing it On July 4 and when attending a military-related function.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Yea it does.
I know a lot of people that are mad with republicans and don't want to vote rep. But would vote for Bush a third time in a heart beat vs a black person.

I love this line...

"I don't think it's being racist necessarily, they just don't like black people that well."

and

"Our generation was back when blacks were the back of the bus, and it's hard to change that outlook. I just feel like I couldn't vote for him."