Obama was Unprepared? How Can Anyone Prepare to Debate a Shape-shifter?

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
Obama prepared to debate Mitt Romney. Instead he got someone entirely different who claimed not to support any of the policies that he has supported all along. How can anyone prepare for some type of shape-shifting chameleon politician that constantly morphs into a different politician every time you try to attack him? Romney is the Shang Tsung of politics.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
100928-official-seal-of-democrat-party-crying-baby.jpg

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Obama was Unprepared? How Can Anyone Prepare to Debate a Shape-shifter?

I didn't see the entire debate, so I can only comment on Obama's claim that Romney's tax plan costs $5 trillion in tax revenue. In that case I think it more that Obama stepped in his own Bull Shiz. Yes, some private estimates, which rely HEAVILY upon assumptions, have quoted that amount, just as others have differed. Obama and the Dems have been making a claim they cannot support. Romney's published tax plan lacks sufficient detail to produce an estimate and curiously the Dems keep lamenting that lack of detail but at the same time make the $5 trillion claim. Trying to have it both ways bit him in the azz.

Fern

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
easily, you call them out on their lies and changing positions... which the President failed to do

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Yeah. Really, the president was talking about Mitt Romney's economic plan as if Mitt Romney actually had an economic plan. That's pretty much an instant loss - he can rightfully deny anything you say about it, since it doesn't exist.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
So the idiots in the Obama administration spend months and tons of cash lying in their ads to paint Romney a certain way they think will benefit them with their stupid voters and then act surprised when Mitt doesn't play along in real life? Liberals are far stupider than I ever imagined....and I have one hell of an imagination.

Apr 27, 2012
So the idiots in the Obama administration spend months and tons of cash lying in their ads to paint Romney a certain way they think will benefit them with their stupid voters and then act surprised when Mitt doesn't play along in real life? Liberals are far stupider than I ever imagined....and I have one hell of an imagination.

Were you really surprised by this though

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
It was pretty easy to see he was unprepared; even in those instances in which he spoke first, like the freaking closing statement, he seemed to flounder.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
LOL! I got my ass handed to me because Romney was better!

The depths this administration will go to. This is the latest gaffe by the Obama campaign, that the president wasn't prepared. REALLY!?? That's your excuse?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Actually that is an interesting point. How can you debate someone who has been on every single side of any policy switching every 2 yrs to 24hrs? You could go after his plan but there is no plan...

Obama needs to call out his flip flops over and over, attacking his complete lack of principles. It really is the only thing you can target that he can't deny.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Well, I personally expected "Governor Romney, I'd love to criticize your economic plan....but unfortunately, I was unable to locate it. A couple of sound bites, but nothing that would qualify as an actual plan. When can I and the rest of America expect to see the details of you intention?" Or "Mr. Romney seems to think that not only can he close 'loopholes' in the tax code to cover his intended tax cuts and spending increases. I wonder what loopholes those are - or how, exactly, closing 'loopholes' and increasing taxes on the wealthy differ, in any practical sense. Given his history though, I expect to have to continue wondering, he's avoided giving details on anything throughout his campaign." Or maybe "Governor Romney, why exactly is it acceptable to cut medicare and social security for our children, but unacceptable to do so for current seniors. Is passing the bill along to the next generation what we want our legacy to be?"

Sadly, didn't get any of that. Maybe the next one will be better.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Actually that is an interesting point. How can you debate someone who has been on every single side of any policy switching every 2 yrs to 24hrs? You could go after his plan but there is no plan...

Obama needs to call out his flip flops over and over, attacking his complete lack of principles. It really is the only thing you can target that he can't deny.

It's not an interesting point at all. It's what the obama campaign came out with for damage control, complete with teleprompters.

You get this fucker to actually perform and this is what you get. Utter incompetence unworthy of the office.

Still reminds me when Netanyahu smashed obama's dick repeatedly on television. Now that whipped dog won't even face Netanyahu.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
...idiots ...lying... stupid voters ...Liberals ...stupider

You should really try and round up some smart people to help you defeat these fools!

Knowing that you have been repeatedly ill equipped to defeat such utter stupidity must really sting...

This is the only possible way you win #462...

congratulations-demotivational-poster-1242208008.jpg

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
After the totality of all 4 debates and especially a bout of Lying Paul Ryan the Romney campaign will implode as the lies just fall in on themselves.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obama just looked really, really tired to me, while Romney was on top of his Arizona oceanfront pitch, working it for all he could get.

It's still Arizona oceanfront, so I doubt he had any more buyers after the pitch than before.

Apr 27, 2012
It's not an interesting point at all. It's what the obama campaign came out with for damage control, complete with teleprompters.

You get this fucker to actually perform and this is what you get. Utter incompetence unworthy of the office.

Still reminds me when Netanyahu smashed obama's dick repeatedly on television. Now that whipped dog won't even face Netanyahu.

Agreed. Netanyahu destroyed that pos obama and obama got destroyed again, this is why he refused to meet Netanyahu, he is scared

Feb 19, 2001
I didn't see the entire debate, so I can only comment on Obama's claim that Romney's tax plan costs $5 trillion in tax revenue. In that case I think it more that Obama stepped in his own Bull Shiz. Yes, some private estimates, which rely HEAVILY upon assumptions, have quoted that amount, just as others have differed. Obama and the Dems have been making a claim they cannot support. Romney's published tax plan lacks sufficient detail to produce an estimate and curiously the Dems keep lamenting that lack of detail but at the same time make the $5 trillion claim. Trying to have it both ways bit him in the azz.

Fern

The $5 trillion figure is based on the fact that he's doing a 20% reduction of rates across the board. There's other assumptions such as the elimination of capital gains taxes for incomes of $200k and lower (also on Romney's website). Then it also assumes a reduction in the corporate tax rate. Obama could've cited Mitt's own website saying that.

TPC estimated $5 trillion reduction in revenue over 10 years. All of this is based on what Romney has disclosed.

It's easy to rebuttal Romney when he keeps saying "but my tax plan doesn't cost $5 trillion."

Possible Obama responses:
- But $5 trillion is based on your own website. Unless you're telling the American public you're changing your tax plan on the fly, it is most certainly $5 trillion. How about this, show the American public how much your tax plan actually DOES cost then, and feel free to cite any 3rd party analysis.

That would've been a zinger.

Furthermore TPC says that there's not enough deductions to eliminate to make up for the cuts in revenue. Obama could've easily asked, so which deductions DOES Romney intend to eliminate? I think he could've easily slammed Romney on the fact that child tax credit, charity donations, and mortgage interest rates are deductions that almost everyone in the middle class relies on.

He debated like crap. How is anyone from middle America supposed to understand that Romney's going to raise taxes on the middle class unless its broken down how his tax plan (according to his website) should work? I think Obama did bring it up a few times, but it was never convincing enough. He repeated $5 trillion like it was the truth when Romney just swatted it down. You can't just repeat something someone denies, unless you show that denial is full or crap. It's simple logic. Obama obviously had the $5 trillion figure ingrained in his head but knew nothing more about it. This is the problem with debates. Either they're not smart enough to debate or they all have too much crap memorized/prepared and too much to worry about on a daily basis to even use logical and sound arguments to refute the opposition.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I've seen bits and pieces and was surprised at how badly Obama did. It appears he needs a scripted environment. Some of us here could have shredded either candidate.

Feb 19, 2001
I've seen bits and pieces and was surprised at how badly Obama did. It appears he needs a scripted environment. Some of us here could have shredded either candidate.
TBH, even if you put a very smart candidate, I wonder how well they'd do. Say like some of us who did forensics in high school and college and kicked ass. I think the amount of work these candidates do per day and have to go through is very draining. They have little energy to conduct that much research on their own and are spoon fed by aides for facts and zingers. I think many of the threads here on AT P&N make for better debates.

It's just the fact of the matter. If you debate with facts and numbers, you risk boring the audience. If you use emotional appeal, the dumb undecided voters will jump in. It's a careful balance, and I think both men are under such intense pressure that they just fail to be able to produce that.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
For the next 50 years people will hear the word "DENVER" and say "Wasn't Denver where Romney made such a fool out of that ass clown Obama in the debate?"

Denver residents can be proud of themselves.