Obama wants to grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Obama takes big risk on driver's license issue

Sen. Barack Obama easily won the African American vote in South Carolina, but to woo California Latinos, where he is running 3-to-1 behind rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, he is taking a giant risk: spotlighting his support for the red-hot issue of granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

"Barack Obama has not backed down" on driver's licenses for undocumented people, said Federico Peña, a former Clinton administration Cabinet member and Denver mayor now supporting Obama. "I think when the Latino community hears Barack's position on such an important and controversial issue, they'll understand that his heart and his intellect is with Latino community."

Sheesh I would rather see Carter back in the oval office than Obama!

It is a given if you give the illegals an inch they will take a mile and think they have every right to it.

I have a real bad feeling about Obama now, making these kind of stands I am afraid if he gets elected he will allow illegal immigration to swallow the US whole as he is waving them on in singing Free Ride by Audio Adrenaline.

The mountains are high
The valleys are low
and you're confused on which way to go
I know there's someone who'll give you a hand
and lead you into the promised land

Chorus
Come on and take a free ride
Come on and get by my side
Come on and take a free ride

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
this is a calculated move on his part to get Latino voters in CA primary

he can take that position knowing that Congress won't be able to pass such legislation, so it won't be his fault he couldn't keep that "campaign promise"

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT

he can take that position knowing that Congress won't be able to pass such legislation, so it won't be his fault he couldn't keep that "campaign promise"

Just like Republicans saying they will cut spending.
btw new avatar?

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: techs

btw new avatar?

Um... if you didn't know, the executive can cut spending by vetoing spending bills.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"She has also done her spadework. Clinton picked up early endorsements from leading Latinos such as Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez and fabled farmworker organizer Dolores Huerta."

"Latinos also trust Clinton, Huerta said. "Support for her is not just support; it's enthusiastic support. In fact, I haven't seen anything like this since the Bobby Kennedy campaign back in '68."

1. See, spadework is a word.
2. Can't believe Huerta went there in paragraph 2.

all politicians do what they need to do to get elected

Not Obama! He's a different politician. He doesn't pander or play the politics of divisiveness. He wants to turn the page. He's the future, not the past. etc. etc.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Here in NY Governor Spitzer had "ordered" licenses be granted to Illegals. Congress may not be able to enact anything but it is a very much a reality at the state level.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

all politicians do what they need to do to get elected

Obama :thumbsdown:

Clinton :thumbsdown:

Romney :thumbsdown:

McCain :thumbsdown:

Pissed off at the status quo and not voting unless Ron Paul runs 3rd party :thumbsup:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This no calculated move at all.
The illegals are already driving.....so whats the big issue....oh I get it they should continue to drive illegally and also if you are in an accident withy an uninsured motorist you are basically screwed...hmmm

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

btw new avatar?

Um... if you didn't know, the executive can cut spending by vetoing spending bills.

There comes a point where you cannot just veto bills.

Take for instance the Farm, Nutrition, and Bioengergy Act of 2007. Aka the Farm Bill, even though most of the bill isnt anything to do with farming. Infact only .21% of the Bill costs goes to commidity subsidies. Im getting off track though. Back on point. The 2002 Farm bill expired Oct 1, 2007. Since forth there have been continuing resolutions to keep programs going(no new signups). March 15 the continuing resolutions end, and there wont be anotherone is not feasible. Bush is threatening to veto this bill. What that would do would do away with a HUGE chunk of previous legislation that expired. Granted his veto would likely be overridden.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

btw new avatar?

There comes a point where you cannot just veto bills.

Take for instance the Farm, Nutrition, and Bioengergy Act of 2007. Aka the Farm Bill, even though most of the bill isnt anything to do with farming. Infact only .21% of the Bill costs goes to commidity subsidies. Im getting off track though. Back on point. The 2002 Farm bill expired Oct 1, 2007. Since forth there have been continuing resolutions to keep programs going(no new signups). March 15 the continuing resolutions end, and there wont be anotherone is not feasible. Bush is threatening to veto this bill. What that would do would do away with a HUGE chunk of previous legislation that expired. Granted his veto would likely be overridden.

Yes, it does take 2/3 majority to override the veto, but the fact is, they'll have to gather the support and revote on the bill. The President does have a say in terms of spending, more so than he would in terms of issuing DLs.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Obama's stock just went down in my book... :thumbsdown: for illegals getting licenses, or ANY legitimate privileges in the U.S.!

I know he has nothing to do with them actually getting a DL, but the fact that he supports it bugs the sh*t out of me... bah...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
yeah... I mean, why on earth would we want to document and keep track of people who are in our country illegally? :confused:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I agree. I would rather have illegals learn the laws of our roads, obtain licenses, and obtain insurance.

I can't believe you're advocating that it's a better idea to keep illegals unlicensed and uninsured.

And no, sadly, with the leaking sieve that describes our border with Mexico, illegals will not be removed from our country anytime soon. They are here to stay. Face it.

World peace is more likely than removing the 20 million illegals from our soil.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Illegals should be deported, not given legal driving privileges.

It seems so simple to me. They don't belong here. When you find them, get rid of them. They broke the law entering the country, they are, by definition, criminals. Why should they get rewarded for breaking the law?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Socio
I have a real bad feeling about Obama now, making these kind of stands I am afraid if he gets elected he will allow illegal immigration to swallow the US whole as he is waving them on in singing Free Ride by Audio Adrenaline.

Then you should fear the ENTIRE Democratic Party and half of the Republican Party. Traitors on this subject are abundant and apparently make a majority of our elected officials.

There is no escaping another amnesty supporting president in this election, if all the Republicans can muster are McCain and Romney.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
yeah... I mean, why on earth would we want to document and keep track of people who are in our country illegally? :confused:

Track of who exactly?

They are here illegally, there is really no way to prove or disprove who they say they are. Unlike Americans who have to prove who they are, the DMV will have to give them an inordinate amount of slack and in most cases literally just take their word for it. Chances are they will be handing out driver?s licenses and trying track a bunch of fictitious people.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm going to get myself a bunch of licenses and just use a new one every time I get pulled over.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Obama's stock just went down in my book... :thumbsdown: for illegals getting licenses, or ANY legitimate privileges in the U.S.!

I know he has nothing to do with them actually getting a DL, but the fact that he supports it bugs the sh*t out of me... bah...

You were hoping a candidate of unity was going to pit citizens against illegals?

There shouldn't be illegals in this country. It's outrageous that their are. They cut in line if front of people all over the world that want to come here. They are fucking criminals and thieves.

But they are also, more or less poor working class people with good work ethics who pay taxes and get little back and they are here in the millions because only a dimwit would pay any attention to our laws when we really want them to come. They have done, in short, what any enterprising American would do, sold himself to the highest bidder. You wake up one day surrounded by these millions and some jackass party like the Republicans who want to make race and jealously and envy and issue and suddenly you're all hot and bothered because they are illegal. But your moral indignation amounts to jack shit in the face of reality. What are you going to do, in your fantasy world, about the fact of millions of illegals who live here, a large percentage of whom, probably from long before you were born. It's fine to be totally insane if you're not running for President. The practical facts on the ground is that licensing them makes good sense and that doesn't change with how many votes you lose to impractical fanatics.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'm going to get myself a bunch of licenses and just use a new one every time I get pulled over.

Well if his plan is anything like the plan was in NY state all you will need is a big pile of valid foreign passports. You have those right? Everyone here complaining about this issue knows that at least for NY states plan you needed a valid foreign passport, a document far harder to get and to forge then a US driver's license.... right?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Give them licenses. I have an education so they aren't taking my job. Nor are they taking my tax dollars (though they will if you want to build a stupid giant fucking wall). I'd rather they didn't slam into me unlicensed and uninsured, however.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
Illegals should be deported, not given legal driving privileges.

It seems so simple to me. They don't belong here. When you find them, get rid of them. They broke the law entering the country, they are, by definition, criminals. Why should they get rewarded for breaking the law?

It fascinates me, the simple minded, I mean, how some folk honestly see only black and white. Somewhere in the 50's I think, we got color television.

Somewhere in your life, I'm sure, you broke a law and did not confess. I'm absolutely sure you're a criminal on the run and you definitely should be deported along with your family, if you have any.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang
Give them licenses. I have an education so they aren't taking my job. Nor are they taking my tax dollars
LOL!! That's what you think! In fact, as am educated middle or upper class American, your dollars are exactly those being used to pay for many free handouts illegals already receive. (ie. the education of their children).

duh.