Obama very different approach in his campaign than McCain

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
CHICAGO, IL ? Senator Obama today announced the formation of his Senior Working Group on National Security, a group of advisors that he will consult on a regular basis between now and the election. Obama will meet with the group for the first time today in Washington, DC for a wide-ranging discussion of the immense challenges faced by the United States in the wake of the disastrous foreign policies of George Bush.

http://my.barackobama.com/page...samgrahamfelsen/gG5SZ7

As you can see his campaign is much more involved than McCains. He is about bringing in people together and discussing issues.

Examples:
Past few weeks I seen obama ...
- Go to colleges and discuss student tuition problems
- Go to hospitals discuss health issues
- Meet senior citizens, on retirement/health issues.
- Now he is meeting people on national security.

I can see what his plan is... and much better than McBush...

Go Obama!

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Yes, because a politician has never made an appearance at a college, hospital, or senior citizen home and made a speech about what he plans to do to solve that particular groups ills. Ever. In the history of the United States.

This is truly some stunning stuff. Next thing you are going to tell me is that Obama likes kids because he kissed a baby at a campaign event.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Queasy
Yes, because a politician has never made an appearance at a college, hospital, or senior citizen home and made a speech about what he plans to do to solve that particular groups ills. Ever. In the history of the United States.

Uhh yeah. We should praise Obama for going there to talk to real people. If a republican does it then we blast them for pandering. You should know this by now.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I wouldn't say that this sort of thing is proof that he really cares about the people more so than McCain but every little bit helps and right now he has convinced me that he cares more than McCain does. Flame me all you want about him placing a shroud over my eyes or whatever. I really don't care. It could just as easily be the kissing baby thing like Queasy mentioned.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

This is truly some stunning stuff. Next thing you are going to tell me is that Obama likes kids because he kissed a baby at a campaign event.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I do not disagree with the larger point Queasy seeks to make, I think Queasy misses the point entirely.

Because this thread is not about Obama going to some college, hospital, or senior citizens home and telling those groups what he thinks they want to hear, its about the Obama staff
reaching out to all kinds of groups and ASKING THEM what their problems are and what they think the solutions are.

And listening is something totally different than telling. The Obama and McCain campaigns are being deluged by various lobbying groups that seek them out and are telling them what they demand. This is what lobbyists are good at, which is getting contact and getting their message out. And its precisely what ordinary citizens are not effective at because they don't have the bucks to buy the contacts. So its smart for the Obama campaign to seek out the voiceless because that is where the votes are.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I do not disagree with the larger point Queasy seeks to make, I think Queasy misses the point entirely.

Because this thread is not about Obama going to some college, hospital, or senior citizens home and telling those groups what he thinks they want to hear, its about the Obama staff
reaching out to all kinds of groups and ASKING THEM what their problems are and what they think the solutions are.

And listening is something totally different than telling. The Obama and McCain campaigns are being deluged by various lobbying groups that seek them out and are telling them what they demand. This is what lobbyists are good at, which is getting contact and getting their message out. And its precisely what ordinary citizens are not effective at because they don't have the bucks to buy the contacts. So its smart for the Obama campaign to seek out the voiceless because that is where the votes are.

No, I got the point. Obama is wonderful because he goes out and meets people. McCain...oh wait...the proper term is McBush, is sitting in a campaign office somewhere meeting with lobbyists and Bush Administration officials in smoke filled back rooms.

Never mind that McCain has been touring around the country since securing the GOP nomination engaging people in townhalls and doing pretty much the same thing that the OP lists.

Examples:
McCain visits children's hospital in Miami
McCain visits Missouri State University for a townhall

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

No, I got the point. Obama is wonderful because he goes out and meets people. McCain...oh wait...the proper term is McBush, is sitting in a campaign office somewhere meeting with lobbyists and Bush Administration officials in smoke filled back rooms.

Never mind that McCain has been touring around the country since securing the GOP nomination engaging people in townhalls and doing pretty much the same thing that the OP lists.

Examples:

No one is ignoring what McCain is doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. He is just failing to convince many of us that he actually cares about the little people and their concerns. Without going into specifics, there are issues which I both agree and disagree with on both sides of the fence here, but Obama has convinced me that he is genuinely the better person that cares about the people and will make the better decisions that help the majority. Little things like what is shown in this thread do help even though they are not the backbone by any means.

I guess the point is that you can be the most genuine candidate this nation has ever known, but that doesn't mean dick if you cannot put in the effort that it takes to convince the people that that is who you really are.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yeah! Another partisan hack sprouts forth. At least now we will have some competition to jp and harvey for that prominant position between BHO's knees.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434

No one is ignoring what McCain is doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. He is just failing to convince many of us that he actually cares about the little people and their concerns.

maybe McCain needs to pay more people to spam the internets for him :p

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481

No one is ignoring what McCain is doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. He is just failing to convince many of us that he actually cares about the little people and their concerns.

Ya...because everyone on the net who is expressing their opinions is being paid by someone else to do it right?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
Yeah! Another partisan hack sprouts forth. At least now we will have some competition to jp and harvey for that prominant position between BHO's knees.

Aren't you the biggest Billary hack on these forums? :laugh:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Ya...because everyone on the net who is expressing their opinions is being paid by someone else to do it right?

I'm serious when I say I think there are/were some paid Hillary campaigners in here. Maybe even in this very thread? :laugh:

Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: lupi

Aren't you the biggest Billary hack on these forums? :laugh:

And speak of the devil! :p

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor

I'm serious when I say I think there are/were some paid Hillary campaigners in here. Maybe even in this very thread? :laugh:

when you have someone who literally posts pretty much nothing but gushing posts for a specific candidate or the candidate's policies and likes to their websites... yeah, it makes me wonder, no matter who they're spamming for.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
here is Obama's campaign barring two Obama supporters from sitting on stage so there wouldn't be any pictures or video of Obama with people in headscarves.

Obama campaign bars Muslims from photo opps

See, Obama talks to "real" people except when his campaign doesn't want him to appear with Muslims. Just put up more flags and Obama can continue with his soaring speeches on teleprompters that someone else wrote.
:thumbsdown:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
good read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06...litics/19campaign.html

At a rally for Senator Barack Obama in Detroit on Monday, two Muslim women said they were prohibited from sitting behind the candidate because they were wearing head scarves and campaign volunteers did not want them to appear with him in news photographs or live television coverage.

The Obama campaign said it quickly called the women to apologize after learning of the incident. ?It doesn?t reflect the orientation of the campaign,? said Anita Dunn, a senior adviser to Mr. Obama. ?I do not believe that mistake will be made again.?

But the incident, first reported Wednesday by Politico.com, pointed to pitfalls the campaign faces as it moves into the general election and seeks to maintain control of Mr. Obama?s image by tightly managing his public appearances...

The campaign on Monday barred cameras from a large gathering of African-American civic leaders Mr. Obama attended. It recently refused to provide names of religious figures with whom Mr. Obama met in Chicago and directed some of them to avoid reporters by using a special exit. And on Wednesday, the campaign orchestrated Michelle Obama?s appearance on the friendly set of ?The View? and a flattering spread in the pages of Us Weekly.

Strategists for Mr. Obama, the country?s first black nominee, have made it clear that they believe they need to take extra steps to control his image and protect against attack. But such efforts at times appear to conflict with the candidate?s stated desire to be unusually transparent and open, and they have already occasionally put him at loggerheads with news organizations pushing for greater access to him now that he is the presumptive nominee.

In spirited discussions with reporters barred from Monday?s meeting with African-American civic leaders, aides said that no cameras were allowed because the participants wanted the meeting to be private, even though it was announced on the daily hotel roster of events. Later, other aides said the lighting was not properly set up for television quality.

When Mr. Obama met with religious leaders last week, his campaign kept out photographers and reporters and refused to share a full list of participants.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Read his book - mein kam..I mean Dreams of My Father - he makes Jesse Jackson look like Mother Theresa. Least Jackson tried in the 60's and all though the 70's to preach moral and economic self-improvement to blacks before moving on to the more lucrative business of denouncing whites and race-baiting. Obama does it from day one over and over. From his racist rejection of his white family who put him in the best private schools all the though his Church membership the guy is full of hate. I don't see his appeal at all.

Actually just the opposite I see him as a con man - he tells us he is cold and calculating not genuine around whites in his book I have no reason to suspect he's changed beneath his dapper exterior.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Examples:

No one is ignoring what McCain is doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. He is just failing to convince many of us that he actually cares about the little people and their concerns. Without going into specifics, there are issues which I both agree and disagree with on both sides of the fence here, but Obama has convinced me that he is genuinely the better person that cares about the people and will make the better decisions that help the majority. Little things like what is shown in this thread do help even though they are not the backbone by any means.

I guess the point is that you can be the most genuine candidate this nation has ever known, but that doesn't mean dick if you cannot put in the effort that it takes to convince the people that that is who you really are.

People don't want genuine - guys like Dennis Kucinich, Reverend Wright and Ron Paul are genuine. They want a package a image a symbol. In this case we have an articulate well-mannered smart hip black guy, we, deep down, hope make him the role model for all African Americans, prove our colorblindness to ourselves and the world.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Lol, pushing away the muslims when the camera is rolling and then apologizing for it afterwards when the camera is off. Now that doesn't sound like a recurring BHO theme.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor

when you have someone who literally posts pretty much nothing but gushing posts for a specific candidate or the candidate's policies and likes to their websites... yeah, it makes me wonder, no matter who they're spamming for.

People do that on internet forums all of the time if they feel passionate about something whether it be politics or something simple such as video game news.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I don't Obama is doing something all that unique, it's just that he's campaigning right-he's staying on messge and the message resonants. McCain, on the other hand, seems to flounder from position to position, issue to issue, and usually comes across uninformed, out of touch or both. His recent criticism of the Supreme Court ruling is so 1970's GOP, and anyone who knows anything about the law and/or this court knows the McCain/Bush position is total BS. Anyone who has followed this campaign with any seriousness could easily name a half dozen issues where McCain has changed his position 180 degrees.

Then McCain does really stupid things like yet again reviving his federal gas receipts tax suspension idea-the one that is not supported by a single economist, has no chance at all of passing Congress and was a major issue in discrediting Hillary Clinton for pandering.

McCain is smarter than this, and a better campaigner. He's got a tough road ahead of him-he's got the baggage of Bush trying to "help" him, he's trying to appeal to Clinton women without turning off the GOP radical religious base, etc. I suspect McCain will get back on track (or closer to it) in the near future. I'm predicting a hard turn to the right, much more fright, 9/11, etc.

Personally I have my fingers crossed until the day after election day, and sincerely hope that this country will drive a stake through the heart of the neo-con revolution once and for all.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Thump553
I don't Obama is doing something all that unique, it's just that he's campaigning right-he's staying on messge and the message resonants.

:confused:

Obama has shifted positions on NAFTA, Iraq, Iran, public financing of campaigns, Israel, Palestine, Wright, his church, his VP vetter, Cuba, illegal immigration, and a host of other issues.

Obama is a politician just like any other.