Obama using tax money for his campaign?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I think there should be an investigation, since there are signs of wrongdoing. Obama should aid the investigation. They will either find he did things wrong or he did not and go from there.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I think there should be an investigation, since there are signs of wrongdoing. Obama should aid the investigation. They will either find he did things wrong or he did not and go from there.

Or not, since every other incumbent has done this and Fox knows it.

It's like they think people were born yesterday....and in your case they are probably correct.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Faux news was just suggesting that all black people abuse government money.
You can easily block that channel on most TV sets.... (hint hint)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
you guys really don't know about Obama and his time in Chicago, do you?

He was famously loathed by the big people--Jackson and the Daleys. Daley would not endorse him up until the end of his fight with Hillary.

Every campaign he lost or won in local politics in Chicago, was very much against the machine. Chicago is famously corrupt and a haven of dirty politics of course, but Obama was the one candidate that managed to piss them all off, by essentially ignoring all of their entreaties from her earliest days campaigning.

I know facts have a liberal bias, but please give it a shot

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/21/080721fa_fact_lizza
Dude, did you READ that article? I do not think it says what you seem to think it says. It's people talking about how Obama tried and failed to become a political force without the machine, Obama was then helped into office by the Chicago machine, Obama abandoned them when they were no longer useful, and now they're pissed at him. At most you could say he was sometimes the loser in factional fighting, but the story is rife with insider examples. Beating Palmer by disqualifying EVERY other candidate is not something done in Chicago without being an integral part of the machine. Getting access to a room to which "Only about ten Democrat staffers had access" doesn't happen without being an integral part of the machine. Having your home literally carved out of the district of a more powerful machine member who just defeated you doesn't happen without being an integral part of the machine. The Chicago machine, like any political machine, has its factions and its infighting; it's hardly monolithic. The main gist of his detractors in this story is that Obama failed to show the same loyalty to them that they gave; they washed his back, but he didn't wash theirs.

And frankly, bully for him. Loyalty is a very good thing in the abstract, but given to a corrupt political machine can only be a bad thing.

EDIT: Regarding the OP's story, I tend to agree with FoBot. I don't like it, but I don't see much way around it, and it's one of the main reasons I think Obama will be reelected. I'm sure he is spending a lot more tax money pushing his policies (and by extension himself) in battleground states than in safe states. Considering that the safest alternative for Obama is to spend obscene amounts in EVERY state to avoid or at least diffuse these accusations, looks to me like the taxpayer is going to get hosed either way. That's pretty much the nature of politics. Obama may (or may not) be spending more tax money for political support than did other Presidents, and I'll all for laws restricting such spending, but I'd be massively surprised if this investigation goes anywhere or if anything changes Presidents using tax money for their political benefit.

Last edited: