Obama to take another vacation next month...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
just from google, so getting biased results mixed in (here are two which sorted to the top):

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/0910/obama_ties_bush_on_golf.html
Oct '09
>Today - Obama ties Pres. Bush in the number of rounds of golf played in office: 24.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2010/07/16/obama-played-41-rounds-golf-president/
July '10
> President Barack Obama has played a remarkable 41 rounds of golf since becoming president, easily outpacing his predecessor and possibly damaging his ability to portray himself in 2012 as a populist advocate of average folks.

> With the excursions lasting on average at least five hours, the president has devoted a total of more than 200 hours to golf, not counting time spent on the White House putting green. That’s the equivalent of twenty five eight-hour work days, or five work weeks spent smacking golf balls.

Does umbrella39 always resort to name calling when he is losing an argument?

Another partisan hack....par for the course here at AT.

What does the number of golf rounds have to do with anything? Bush gave up playing golf, due either to his knee, or because of Iraq, take you pick.

So comparing golf between someone that plays, and someone that quit, doesn't make much sense, does it? How about comparing golf vs jogging and biking if you want to compare president's sporting activities? Oh wait, that would make sense and be logical, which means you can't do it.

Why do you even care? Everyone takes vacations, almost everyone has some sport/hobby that like to do for fun. As has been mentioned several times, the President is never really on vacation, in that he can turn his phone off. He always gets briefings, email, phone calls.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Presidents do get 'real' vacations in that the time is blocked for recreation, and rarely interrupted from that purpose.

They do not get 'real' vacations in the sense that they are on hair trigger if there's a crisis, and will spend time each day on essential activities, e.g., briefings.

A President on a vacation day is getting a lot less done than a President not on a vacation day; it's not a non-issue where it's the same either way.

Take a look at a President's calendar sometime for an example why there's a difference, as his day is filled with meetings from morning to night.

The story above noted Bush had 120 vacation days *at this time in his presidency* to Obama's 65, 9/11 notwithstanding. Bush was reportedly setting records for vacationing.

It's not the biggest issue, but it was an issue how much Bush let others run things, including Cheney, and the bad policies he allowed.

Bush was a sort of figurehead president from the start - it's his background as well, riding the family name to small companies that didn't go well and were bailed out by friends including Saudis, director at Harken where he was said to do little more than tell jokes (and use insider info to violate the law on selling stock), as the baseball co-owner whose only role was to shake hands and greet fans, as governor of Texas where the office is considered among the weakest in the nation and mostly ceremonial.

As nominee, he had briefings to get him at all familiar with the national issues, as he reportedly had not been outside the US except party border crossings to Mexico.

He reportedly considered himself 'CEO president' as more hands-off.

This shifted, though, in the later presidency when he took some more hands-on, and the roles of his people like Cheney and Rove were reduced (with Rumsfeld out).

Translated to non-babbling-partisanspeak:

BUT BUSH!!!!!!!

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I'm sure every world leader there is can't go a full hour before someone aide is peeking in on them and saying, "Excuse me, but we need ...". There are no breaks, just changes of scenery.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Does umbrella39 always resort to pointing out that I lied?
fixed for ya there slugger...

So do you lie all the time or just when you visit P & N?

Your source even admits to not counting those golf outings as vacation.

Still waiting for you to list specific combinations of letters, spaces, and punctuation in the Fact Check article I linked that backs up your claims.

So you AREN'T going to admit the article I linked says nothing about golf like you claimed it did though we can all clearly see it didn't BUT you want us to take you seriously still? Yeah...

Good to verify what we already knew which is you have zero integrity and can be dismissed as a lying GOP sock puppet. /plonk

Last edited:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
The President shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation unless they're re-elected, in which case they should be allowed to take a two week hiatus by the end of the summer in the year in which their second term begins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The President shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation unless they're re-elected, in which case they should be allowed to take a two week hiatus by the end of the summer in the year in which their second term begins.

I agree, but only when you are the president.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Funny, your posts which I avoid now but stumble across occasionally, need no translation, that's your native tongue.

Har! Har!

In other words, you can't logically discuss my refutations to your delusion rantings, so you're going to put your fingers in your ears and shout "La la la I can't hear you!"

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Another partisan hack....par for the course here at AT.

What does the number of golf rounds have to do with anything? Bush gave up playing golf, due either to his knee, or because of Iraq, take you pick.

So comparing golf between someone that plays, and someone that quit, doesn't make much sense, does it? How about comparing golf vs jogging and biking if you want to compare president's sporting activities? Oh wait, that would make sense and be logical, which means you can't do it.

Why do you even care? Everyone takes vacations, almost everyone has some sport/hobby that like to do for fun. As has been mentioned several times, the President is never really on vacation, in that he can turn his phone off. He always gets briefings, email, phone calls.

Bush gave up golf because the liberal media savaged him for playing golf while American soldiers were dying - it was pure politics that caused the attacks (as witnessed by a total lack of similar attacks on Obama for similar but more egregious behavior) and pure politics/PR that caused him to stop playing. Why help your enemies attack you? The number of rounds played by Obama has nothing to do with anything except the blindingly obvious bias of the main stream media - unless for some reason one thinks a war will go better if the President gives it his undivided attention. Certainly no generals think so, they'd much prefer to contact him when needed.

Since I disagree with pretty much everything Obama wants to do, the more vacations he takes the happier I am. As long as he doesn't pull a Sanford and go "hike the Appalachian Trail" I'm okay. I'm sure Biden can muster up a "Present" if needed, and if it's absolutely necessary to contact the Messiah then the Secret Service should always have him in hand.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
fixed for ya there slugger...

So do you lie all the time or just when you visit P & N?

Still waiting for you to list specific combinations of letters, spaces, and punctuation in the Fact Check article I linked that backs up your claims.

So you AREN'T going to admit the article I linked says nothing about golf like you claimed it did though we can all clearly see it didn't BUT you want us to take you seriously still? Yeah...

Good to verify what we already knew which is you have zero integrity and can be dismissed as a lying GOP sock puppet. /plonk

From your own link at http://www.factcheck.org/2010/01/pre...vacation-days/

>It’s worth mentioning that President Obama has also made 11 trips — all or part of 27 days — to Camp David, the presidential retreat in Frederick County, Md. Knoller, however, says he doesn’t count trips to Camp David as part of any presidents’ "vacation" time.

Just a tip. When slinging mud, you will always come of looking worse than the target.

Has everyone else already put this guy on 'ignore' and is the case that I just happen to be the latest person to be guilty of feeding the troll?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
What a shock you would list only quote the part that doesn't show you to be full of shit on your original claim that Obama spent more time on vacation that Bush his first year.

It’s worth mentioning that President Obama has also made 11 trips — all or part of 27 days — to Camp David, the presidential retreat in Frederick County, Md. Knoller, however, says he doesn’t count trips to Camp David as part of any presidents’ "vacation" time. But for the sake of comparison, President George W. Bush, made more trips to that country residence than Obama. According to Knoller, Bush made 25 trips — a total of 78 days — to Camp David in 2001.

The seat you abandoned at the kids table is calling your name.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Okay. You win. I will give you my endorsement for the Biggest Troll of the Year.

Last edited:

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Bush gave up golf because the liberal media savaged him for playing golf while American soldiers were dying - it was pure politics that caused the attacks (as witnessed by a total lack of similar attacks on Obama for similar but more egregious behavior) and pure politics/PR that caused him to stop playing. Why help your enemies attack you? The number of rounds played by Obama has nothing to do with anything except the blindingly obvious bias of the main stream media - unless for some reason one thinks a war will go better if the President gives it his undivided attention. Certainly no generals think so, they'd much prefer to contact him when needed.

Actually, there is considerable doubt as to why Bush stopped golf, given that he tore a ligament in his knee (or something like that), and stopped playing months before he said that "he gave it up for the troops". So he might be making that up for politics as well. I wouldn't put it past him at all, so don't be too sure about Bush's supposed noble intentions.

Anyway, this debate is stupid as you, me, and others have pointed out. The OP is clueless, and all presidents take vacations and indulge in whatever hobbies/sports they like, to relax and relieve some of the stress of the job. Just like every other person in the world. Look at all the before and after pictures of recent Presidents....wonder why they are get a lot of grey hair all of a sudden?

Nov 30, 2006
Ooh my absolute favorite premise for a brain dead partisan internet forum thread. It's another "Look, the President [who I politically oppose] is Taking Another Vacation" thread!

The libs used to do this all the time with Bush on the ranch. Ah, the good old days.

- wolf
This.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I fully agree that he should be allowed to take vacations. I also believe that the President's job is 24/7.

I am sure that if something really bad came up he could be reached at any given time, any where.

So he's like an IT guy then? ;)

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Tell another bald faced lie and listen to you scream...

You asked for links, so I gave you links. You asked for quotes, so I gave you quotes. I even quoted from your own link. Lies? I only see the troll screaming. What is your problem? You are so aggressive, lately.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
You asked for links, so I gave you links. You asked for quotes, so I gave you quotes. I even quoted from your own link. Lies? I only see the troll screaming. What is your problem? You are so aggressive, lately.

I didn't ask for links, you tried to drag out Teh Googlez when your lies got called out. Your bullshit might fly back at Junior High in a couple of weeks but here, you got served with the truth. There is enough about Obama to bitch about without making shit up. You said Obama took more time off than Bush, it was pointed out to you that was wrong at Fact Check yet you still try and make shit up to the point of selective quoting. When I list the full quote which shows even counting Camp David trips (which btw is not a fucking golf course) Bush still took more time off you STILL can't admit you were wrong. You will make a fine junior tea bagger.

Last edited: