Obama to take another vacation next month...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Really? I don't see any mention of golf outings. Quote?

It doesn't say it. It's called lying. It's that thing that conservatives do when they open their mouths. Rather than being honest they are what us human beings call "full of shit"

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
My original questions remain.

Are we paying for this?

He's doubtless paying for his own food/entertainment etc (just as he does at the White House). However you're paying for his entire security detail.

I hope this causes you to become sufficiently outraged.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
I've got better things to worry about than keeping track of Obama's vacation calendar. There are certainly more egregious aspects of the government to get angry about than this.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
lol

who fucking cares if he is gong on vacation (for the weekend even!)? he is allowed to.

not that he won't be working on that vacation and if a emergancy comes up he will be on it (i hope..he was kinda slow on the oil spill). EVERY president is still working even when on vacation. not t hat it matters. HE DESERVES a vacation or mini vacation (wich is what i consider a weekend getaway)

my only question is why the fuck is he on TV all the time? i don't remember any president giving as many press confrences as he does.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
It doesn't say it. It's called lying. It's that thing that conservatives do when they open their mouths. Rather than being honest they are what us human beings call "full of shit"

Yeah that is pretty much what I thought. So many sock puppets, so little to say.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The President is on vacation? Holy crap! Who's going to sign the SS checks, invade somewhere, balance the economy, hold up the sun, keep the moon in phase?

It pleased me to no end when Bush went on vacation. Given that Obama has presided as center-right/right him going on vacation doesn't leave me too sad either.

I'm happy to see him off the job as well. Not that Presidents are ever off the job, sadly.

The less Obama does, the better!

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Ooh my absolute favorite premise for a brain dead partisan internet forum thread. It's another "Look, the President [who I politically oppose] is Taking Another Vacation" thread!

The libs used to do this all the time with Bush on the ranch. Ah, the good old days.

- wolf

^This.

And of course he'll still be 'working' anyway.

But hopefully they'll do this Gulf trip in a way that will actually help those poeple. There are still nice places (unspoiled by the oil spill) for people to vacation at down there. All reports indicate terribly low tourism; hopefull showcasing the area will encourage more people to visit.

Fern

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Shouldn't Obama be working to take us out of the recession? Hello, we're at 10% unemployment. He said so himself that he will not rest until everyone who wants to work has a job.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Shouldn't Obama be working to take us out of the recession? Hello, we're at 10% unemployment. He said so himself that he will not rest until everyone who wants to work has a job.

By his own definition, if you have not taken a job back from an illegal alien, then you are not trying to find work. There are MILLIONS of agricultural and janitorial jobs just begging for an American to take. Just further proof that non-local welfare systems encourage people to be lazy.

Even in the high tech workforce, there are MILLIONS of H1Bs here illegally (they have falsified applications in order to get "legal" work visas) that are doing engineering and software jobs for less than minimum wage by the time you factor in unpaid overtime.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
if it's just a weekend it's fine, everyone does that.

And anyway a president is never in vacation, they probably always talk on the phone and read e-mails.
Not a real break.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wake me up to when he gets close to half the number a vacation days GWB took. Partisan nonsense!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Wake me up to when he gets close to half the number a vacation days GWB took. Partisan nonsense!

actaully he is on pace to break it. not that it matters. anyone who thinks he leaves his phone/pda/etc at the office when he goes on vacation is an idiot.

NO president ever really go's on vacation.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
actaully he is on pace to break it. not that it matters. anyone who thinks he leaves his phone/pda/etc at the office when he goes on vacation is an idiot.

NO president ever really go's on vacation.

So long weekends now rate as vacations?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
So going somewhere on a weekend is a vacation?

I love it how people add up weekends and scream about how he is on vacation so many days. Using this logic people have at least 104 days of vacation a year for just weekends. Not counting holidays etc. So how does a weekend equal what we consider vacation time? I think of vacation time is when I take a day off from work not Saturday and Sunday.

Basically Obama is on-call etc 24x7x365 days a year. At any point he is literally minutes away from lunching a full scale nuclear strike if missiles are spotted inbound at the US. There is somebody that knows where he is 24 hours a day and there is always Secret Service with him. At a moments notice they need to be able to get the president onto either NEACAP or AF1. The only time that the Secret Service relaxes the bubble that he lives in is Camp David. That is the reason why presidents after they have discovered Camp David, the presidents like taveling out there for the weekend. They can go for a walk at Camp David without the Secret Service having kittens. I remember when Obama was out in Orange County and he was at the OC Fair Grounds the Secret Service didn't want Obama to walk 400 yards to Marine One. They had brought the presidential Limo to drive him 400 yards. Sometimes I don't think people fully appreciatte the bubble that the president lives in. Really it is a bubble that the Secret Service puts him in. He literally cannot fly commercial. Any long distance travel requires a 747 and depending on the distance there can literally be 2 involved. A primary and a backup.

With modern technology the whitehouse litterally travels with him. At Bushes ranch they literally had trailers setup where video secure video conferences and meetings could be conducted. He is making a point of taking his family to the Gulf Coast for a weekend so everyone else sees that you can still travel to the Gulf Coast despite the oil spill. While there I am sure he will get first hand briefings on the situation. Even when he is on a golf course probably business is being conducted. Even for major corporations business is conducting on gulf courses as executives talk and play a round of golf. It is just part of the culture in both business and political circles that deals are made over a round of golf. So pretty much if Obama isn't sleeping he is working. There is always somebody wanting a piece of his time. So if he wants to go the Gulf Coast for a weekend I say go for it.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
So you're admitting there was no such reference and you are just talking out of your ass. Got it.

just from google, so getting biased results mixed in (here are two which sorted to the top):

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/0910/obama_ties_bush_on_golf.html
Oct '09
>Today - Obama ties Pres. Bush in the number of rounds of golf played in office: 24.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2010/07/16/obama-played-41-rounds-golf-president/
July '10
> President Barack Obama has played a remarkable 41 rounds of golf since becoming president, easily outpacing his predecessor and possibly damaging his ability to portray himself in 2012 as a populist advocate of average folks.

> With the excursions lasting on average at least five hours, the president has devoted a total of more than 200 hours to golf, not counting time spent on the White House putting green. That’s the equivalent of twenty five eight-hour work days, or five work weeks spent smacking golf balls.

Does umbrella39 always resort to name calling when he is losing an argument?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Presidents do get 'real' vacations in that the time is blocked for recreation, and rarely interrupted from that purpose.

They do not get 'real' vacations in the sense that they are on hair trigger if there's a crisis, and will spend time each day on essential activities, e.g., briefings.

A President on a vacation day is getting a lot less done than a President not on a vacation day; it's not a non-issue where it's the same either way.

Take a look at a President's calendar sometime for an example why there's a difference, as his day is filled with meetings from morning to night.

The story above noted Bush had 120 vacation days *at this time in his presidency* to Obama's 65, 9/11 notwithstanding. Bush was reportedly setting records for vacationing.

It's not the biggest issue, but it was an issue how much Bush let others run things, including Cheney, and the bad policies he allowed.

Bush was a sort of figurehead president from the start - it's his background as well, riding the family name to small companies that didn't go well and were bailed out by friends including Saudis, director at Harken where he was said to do little more than tell jokes (and use insider info to violate the law on selling stock), as the baseball co-owner whose only role was to shake hands and greet fans, as governor of Texas where the office is considered among the weakest in the nation and mostly ceremonial.

As nominee, he had briefings to get him at all familiar with the national issues, as he reportedly had not been outside the US except party border crossings to Mexico.

He reportedly considered himself 'CEO president' as more hands-off.

This shifted, though, in the later presidency when he took some more hands-on, and the roles of his people like Cheney and Rove were reduced (with Rumsfeld out).