Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I am pretty sure this is without 'health care reform'
Add another 1.6 trillion if HR3200 passes

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Worst president in the history of our union. And it's only been barely 8 months.
:(

Nice hyperbole. Obama isn't great, but he's a darn site better than some others.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Worst president in the history of our union. And it's only been barely 8 months.

Nice hyperbole. Obama isn't great, but he's a darn site better than some others.

Well.....the total debt was something around 12 trillion and now in 10 years it will be bumped by another 9 trillion. That is what....a 75% increase in 10 years.....

EDIT: it is currently at 11.7 Trillion
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/...PDLogin?application=np

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Patranus

Bring on bankruptcy!!!

We were already on the hook for this due to the double whammy brought on by your thankfully EX-Traitor In Chief and his gang of criminals. They squandered trillions of dollars in current and future debt (along with thousands of American lives
rose.gif
) in their illegal war of LIES in Iraq and trillions more when they abandoned all oversight and control over their wealthy, greedy Wall Street robber baron buddies and contributors.

You're just pissing and moaning about Obama's choices in dealing with the mountainous debt burden they laid on the nation.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
what's our problem?

debt!

how do we solve it?

more debt?

:confused:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey
in their illegal war of LIES in Iraq and trillions

Link to it being an 'illegal war'?

You're just pissing and moaning about Obama's choices in dealing with the mountainous debt burden they laid on the nation.

So your solution is to borrow and spend to spur borrowing and spending to fix the problems brought on by too much borrowing and spending?

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Well.....the total debt was something around 12 trillion and now in 10 years it will be bumped by another 9 trillion. That is what....a 75% increase in 10 years.....

EDIT: it is currently at 11.7 Trillion
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/...PDLogin?application=np

Or he could just lie like Republicans and claim surpluses as far as the eye can see.
Another round of tax cuts should fix this.;)

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: marincounty
Or he could just lie like Republicans and claim surpluses as far as the eye can see.
Another round of tax cuts should fix this.;)

I believe that it was Clinton who borrowed money from ourselves and then claimed to have a surplus.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I know how to jump start the economy, lets start a trillion dollar war over a lie and cut taxes simultaneously!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

So your solution is to borrow and spend to spur borrowing and spending to fix the problems brought on by too much borrowing and spending?

We don't have any choice about dealing with the debt the Bushwhackos laid on us. We've got lots of threads discussing what to do about it, and I'm sure there will be more.

Start from the fact that the debt existed long before Obama took office.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Jack Flash
in their illegal war of LIES in Iraq and trillions

Link to it being an 'illegal war'?

First Google result for 'iraq war illegal'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3661134.stm

Decide for yourself I suppose; I didn't read the article, just providing requested information.

The Iraq war was far from illegal. We had a cease-fire from Gulf War I. The first time they shot at our planes patrolling, we had the right to go in.

Same thing with NK.

This does NOT mean that what we did was smart. But nothing was illegal.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

We don't have any choice about dealing with the debt the Bushwhackos laid on us. We've got lots of threads discussing what to do about it, and I'm sure there will be more.

Start from the fact that the debt existed long before Obama took office.

You are such a partisan it is rediculous.

Say it with me: "Obama to hike 10 year defecit."

BarrySotero

Banned
Apr 30, 2009
It's funny to read people c'plaining about Bush spending when Bama (who agreed with much of Bush spending) had it beat by 4 x before the winter snow was gone - and the "stimulus" was only 22% "stimulating". The rest was dumped down the money pit of entitlement transfers and Dem pork. Obama and the other Dems have done more damage in 6 months than any other entire admin got near creating. I really don't know how US survives 3 1/2 more years of this mayhem. Hillary would have been better and shes a nut too.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Can I just say but Bush and get it over with? Seriously, he sucked. Congress still sucks. No matter where we turn, the best we can hope for is a reacharound. :(

People talk like this deficit began on Jan 20, 2009 just because Obama is in power now. It did not. Bush really screwed the pooch when he and a complicit congress took us to war without paying for it. Those costs are ongoing...bigtime. Then there's the healthcare rx drug bill, which was passed w/o any way to pay for it. Then there's the general healthcare issue where costs continue to rise without any real constraints, which he did nothing about.

It isn't just the Bush years that screwed us either. Clinton and his congress set the stage for the housing bust, still did nothing on healthcare, and helped deregulate wall st. lending practices. Before Clinton, you had Bush 1 and "deficits don't matter" Reagan. Then Carter, Ford, Johnson, Nixon, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, my point is that we'd have this no matter who is in power now. Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin, playing us against each other. There is no systemic/structural change going on in that dynamic AT ALL. In fact, it is getting worse. Meanwhile, problems (and debts) mount as our politicians do what is politically convenient instead of what is necessary and/or right. I give up... Let it burn.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Yeah, the only solution is to nominate Howard Taft and Ulysses Grants' reanimated corpses in the next presidential election cycle... I suppose it makes about as much sense as what goes on in political discourse these days...

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Can't we just fix it with a tax cut?

:thumbsup:

That would fix it in a hurry. Now you're thinking intelligently.

Well it was either that or "ban abortions". Only one of those 2 responses from my "Right wing solutions for everything dummy" was even remotely applicable. Unfortunately, the string broke and I'll have to retire it now.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Can't we just fix it with a tax cut?

:thumbsup:

That would fix it in a hurry. Now you're thinking intelligently.

Well it was either that or "ban abortions". Only one of those 2 responses from my "Right wing solutions for everything dummy" was even remotely applicable. Unfortunately, the string broke and I'll have to retire it now.

If you think that sounds any different than "going into more debt to get out of debt," I feel sorry for you.