Obama to ask G8 to suspend Russia

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
What Russia is doing today is absolutely the wrong thing to do, and should be opposed by everyone.

Couple of things here,

Lets use the argument used by gay rights, if it does not affect you, it is none of your business.

Do not use your own morals and values to judge another nation. That is not your place.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Couple of things here,

Lets use the argument used by gay rights, if it does not affect you, it is none of your business.

Do not use your own morals and values to judge another nation. That is not your place.

TTHTILEOTHT.

I think you guys can translate that^

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
What matters most today is that we understand the benefits of stability and rule of law as betterment to the world, it allows businesses to function, it allows citizens to work, it allows trade to help different regions.

that sounds like the only important thing in the world

MONEY

Let's not forget Russia also has a deep history of serious oppression towards its people. It took the U.S. over 100 years since the civil war before starting to really correct the problems towards the African-American population. Does anyone really believe Russia has changed their ways over the past even 30 years?

they have likely regressed in the past 30 years

not sure if the soviets were ever so prejudiced as the russians are today

Nov 30, 2006
aria_c11679820140306120100.jpg

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Where is the ethnic cleansing of Wisconsin in your analogy?

Native Americans, there before either Canadians (Ukrainians) or Americans (Russians).

You did not answer the question. What would you do? Would you let Wisconsin fall under the influence and control of China?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Native Americans, there before either Canadians (Ukrainians) or Americans (Russians).

You did not answer the question. What would you do? Would you let Wisconsin fall under the influence and control of China?

This is a really good point. The Ukraine should be even angrier about its territory being taken by a hostile foreign power than it already is.

If we voluntarily ceded Wisconsin to Canada and then tried to take it back with force a few decades later, Canada would rightfully be angry. That's of course only detailing one of the numerous flagrant violations of international law by Russia here.

We need to keep ramping up more sanctions on Russia, and luckily it looks like Germany is finally getting on board. This should just be the start.

Nov 30, 2006
Your alternative is?
That's an excellent question and I wish I had the answer. Obama doesn't really have many options here in my opinion. However, I do believe he's been incredibly naive in his dealings with Russia from the very beginning of his presidency and I don't think this has helped him one iota.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
That's an excellent question and I wish I had the answer. Obama doesn't really have many options here in my opinion. However, I do believe he's been incredibly naive in his dealings with Russia from the very beginning of his presidency and I don't think this has helped him one iota.

I am obviously not a fan of Obama. But this is by far best foreign policy achievement of his presidency. He gave Putin ample time to not put the rope around his own neck. When Putin refused and put the ole noose on, Obama started kicking out the legs off the chair. Once the fourth leg is kicked out Putin's Russia will have an economic nightmare of isolation to deal with.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Hahahahahaha coming from somebody who supports an invasion and occupation of Crimea this is funny.

Does Crimea affect you?

You sir are an idiot that credulously quotes Nazi propaganda. -literally-

You're just the conservative version of McOwned.

I am smart enough to know we need to mind our own business. Only bad things can come from trying to push Russia around.

obama is a failed diplomat. He has nothing to bargain with, so he talks tough. That tough talk might bite us in the ass.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
If you believe China is an enemy of the U.S.... reading these threads is like, what the f is going on with all you? Did you all fail life?

Go read the rest of that chain - it was part of a hypothetical analogy of Crimea to Russia.

It's very possible that China and the US could become adversaries in the future.

Even if they weren't, would you like your state to be given over to a close ally of China?

If you don't understand why I'm asking that, read the previous posts.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
So in response to this scenario :

That's an extremely poor analogy.

Here is a better one :

The US and Canada decide to merge and become one country, with Canada becoming a semi-autonomous province of the US.

30 years later the US gifts the state of Wisconsin to the Canadian Province of the USA. No one cares because it's still the USA.

Then 30 years after that, the US can't afford Canada's social programs so Canada - along with the Wisconsin - becomes a separate country again.

Then 30 years after that, with Canada-Wisconsin on our border, Canada's democratically elected gov't is overthrown and run out by "protesters", and a new unelected Canadian Gov't decides to become close allies of China - a known opponent / enemy of the US.

One of the first things this new "unelected democracy" does is tell Wisconsinites that they can't have media in English and their local Gov't functions will all be done in French.

People in Wisconsin, still being mostly "Americans" speaking English, ask the US to take them back.

What would you do?

Your answer is - you would let them have Wisconsin :

If we voluntarily ceded Wisconsin to Canada and then tried to take it back with force a few decades later, Canada would rightfully be angry. That's of course only detailing one of the numerous flagrant violations of international law by Russia here.

You're a real fuckin patriot. You should run for office, you would fit right in.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I swear this seems like a replay for the run up to world war II.

Which was the fault of the allies, not anything poor little Adolph did, blah-blah.

We've all become aware of your apparent fetish for dictators, except when you are accusing Obama of being one, of course.