Obama to announce Iraq troop draw down today.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
It's a sign of weakness!!

No, wait,.. by the troops still being there, be broke his campaign promise!!

Oh God!! I don't know which of the two opposite sides I should choose to criticize Obama!!!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Our long national nightmare will be over at the end of the year.

Check off one mess cleaned by Obama

Mission accomplished without the aircraft carrier and the flightsuit

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's about time. :thumbsup: to Obama on getting out of that scam of a war.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
so... who gets credit, obama or bush? I think some goes to both.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Place holder in thread until I recieve the talking points / marching orders to determine how I should react to this news

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Obama's slowly cleaning up Bush's mess in the face of Republican obstructionism.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I would love to know the stance of his Generals on this plan. Somehow I doubt it will be positive. It sounds purely political, though I hope it isn't.

Whether or not you believe we should have been there to begin with, we are there now. Pulling out before the job is done would leave it in a state of order worse than that of Somalia.

-GP

(Let me clarify that I am all for pulling out ASAP, but setting a phased withdraw based on calendar dates is stupid -- it should be based on static goals/milestones that represent that situation over there)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Has Iraq finally decided what they want? They have been dithering for months. Last I heard they wanted US troops to stay but refused to give immunity to them and to exempt them from Iraqi law, both of which were nonstarters for the US. The US has been pushing for a decision for a long time because it takes a lot of time to pull out-it's not like we can load up a U-Haul and move out over the weekend.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I would love to know the stance of his Generals on this plan. Somehow I doubt it will be positive. It sounds purely political, though I hope it isn't.

Whether or not you believe we should have been there to begin with, we are there now. Pulling out before the job is done would leave it in a state of order worse than that of Somalia.

-GP

(Let me clarify that I am all for pulling out ASAP, but setting a phased withdraw based on calendar dates is stupid -- it should be based on static goals/milestones that represent that situation over there)

It is going to be a mess no matter what we do or when we leave. We have spent more than enough time, money, and lives in Iraq. They can either take it from here or fall on their faces. I honestly don't care either way.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Very glad this is going to happen, to be fair though, isnt President Obama basically being forced to pull them out because Maliki refused to continue to grant immunity to U.S. troops after a certain date? Several news channels were reporting that President Obama had one more meeting with Maliki to try and reach an agreement to extend immunity and keep troops there. Btw, while they're at it, I think many more U.S. troops all over the world should come home for good. The U.S. must prepere for the eventual conflict with Red China.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

-GP

Generals are there to fight wars that the political leadership wants to fight, who gives a sh!t what their stance on it is? We aren't paying for wars to keep the generals happy.
I sure hope it's political. Decision to start and and wars is supposed to be a political decision.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

-GP

The Iraq parliment would not grant immunity for the soldiers if they stayed. It's their country.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Our long national nightmare will be over at the end of the year.

Check off one mess cleaned by Obama

Mission accomplished without the aircraft carrier and the flightsuit

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

All those young lives wasted :(

Trillions and Trillions of dollars wasted too :(

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
He's basically being forced to remove them due to Maliki not continuing to grant diplomatic immunity. Dont get me wrong, im glad as all hell they're coming home. Bring more home from other places too.