Obama tells US farmers he backs ethanol mandate

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: Lowbean
Obama is in the pocket of big corn.

McSame is in the pocket of fundamentalist psychopaths who believe with all their lack of intelligence that the Bible is the one and only, of the millions of only absolute truth, the real one and not a part of a deeper truth that all religions, unbeknownst to their superficial believers, allude to.

Where are you from my mathematically challenged friend?

Was it your math skills that caused you to make the absurd statement that Obama in the pocket of big corn?

I investigated Obama's stand on the issue and found it to include a desire to help corn farmers as well as the understanding that corn is not an answer or a solution for the long term. What kind of silliness could cause you to conclude this puts him in the pocket of 'big corn'. May I remind you again we had corn in surplus for years and years and depressed farm prices. Obama is in the pocket of people in need is what it looks more like. Big corn is a bunch of corn farmers. Big Fundie is a bunch of lunatic religious zealots and fanatics.

McSame is in the pocket of Big Fundie.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Lowbean
Obama is in the pocket of big corn.

McSame is in the pocket of fundamentalist psychopaths who believe with all their lack of intelligence that the Bible is the one and only, of the millions of only absolute truth, the real one and not a part of a deeper truth that all religions, unbeknownst to their superficial believers, allude to.

Was it your math skills that caused you to make the absurd statement that Obama in the pocket of big corn?

I investigated Obama's stand on the issue and found it to include a desire to help corn farmers as well as the understanding that corn is not an answer or a solution for the long term. What kind of silliness could cause you to conclude this puts him in the pocket of 'big corn'. May I remind you again we had corn in surplus for years and years and depressed farm prices. Obama is in the pocket of people in need is what it looks more like. Big corn is a bunch of corn farmers. Big Fundie is a bunch of lunatic religious zealots and fanatics.

McSame is in the pocket of Big Fundie.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Ethanol is already cheaper than gas, or at least it was at $150/bbl crude (now that oil is at $100/bbl and falling, that will surely take some of the wind out of the ethanol sails), yet only two stations in my area offer ethanol blends. Unfortunately it's not as simple as you make it. The transition to any biofuel will be a slow process, because oil is so entrenched in our daily lives. Subsidizing the industry can give it a head start that it wouldn't have in a purely free market system. You can say "so what," but your opinion might change the next time oil spikes to $150 or higher and the local station offers E85 for 1/2 the cost per gallon of gasoline. Oil will only get more expensive as time goes on due to decreased supply, while biofuels will get cheaper as we discover and commercialize more efficient methods of producing them.

Are you judging this at the pump?
I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading unsubsidized production cost of cornstarch ethanol is about $2/gal, and cellulosic is slightly higher, around $2.25/gal.

ElFenix: You're right that ethanol has a lower energy density, but it also has properties (such as a higher resistance to pre-ignition) that allow it to be burned more efficiently than gasoline. There was an EPA study where they modified an engine to take full advantage of neat alcohol fuels (I think one of the major changes was a very high compression ratio, around 20:1 IIRC) and were able to achieve fuel economy on par with conventional gasoline engines.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Take that food prices, fuel economy and small engines...fuck you we're here to help! Here's your new toothbrush American, its a fucking dried up corn cob. Squirt some corn syrup on it and brush up those pearly whites.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: rdubbz420
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Use food to power our cars, good idea.

well, I use food to power my bike. 2500 miles to a gallon, or at least the energy equivalent to 1 gallon of gasoline. :p

Yeah, but the emissions smell fucking terrible!

:p

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: rdubbz420
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Use food to power our cars, good idea.

well, I use food to power my bike. 2500 miles to a gallon, or at least the energy equivalent to 1 gallon of gasoline. :p

Yeah, but the emissions smell fucking terrible!

:p

yeah, I know. Ever eat too many power bars? :eek:

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Take that food prices, fuel economy and small engines...fuck you we're here to help! Here's your new toothbrush American, its a fucking dried up corn cob. Squirt some corn syrup on it and brush up those pearly whites.

Funny you should bring that up ...

Corn Cob Ethanol Pilot Plant Complete This Year

We previously wrote about the effort to harvest corn cobs for ethanol during last year's corn harvest.

At the American Coalition for Ethanol conference, POET announced that construction will be completed on a $4 million pilot-scale cellulosic ethanol production facility later this year. The pilot plant will be adjacent to POET?s corn ethanol pilot facility and a nine million gallon per year ethanol production facility in Scotland, S.D. It will allow POET to build upon recent technology advances before starting construction on Project LIBERTY, their commercial cellulosic production facility, next year.

"Our expanded research effort has led to several significant strides in the development of cellulosic ethanol technology at the lab scale in recent months," said Jeff Broin, CEO of POET. "Construction of this pilot facility will allow our company to take the next step toward the commercialization of cellulosic ethanol."

During the 2007 harvest, POET worked with major agricultural equipment manufacturers to harvest 4,000 acres of corn grain and cobs from a farmer?s field in Southeastern South Dakota. Cobs from this fall?s harvest and last will serve as the feedstock for the cellulosic pilot plant, along with corn fiber extracted from the adjacent corn ethanol production facility.

POET has been working on cellulosic ethanol technology for more than eight years and has significantly expanded their research and development efforts. The company recently completed an expansion of their research lab in Sioux Falls, S.D. that tripled its size.

It is my understanding that the corn kernels are used for food - and the remaining cellulosic material - cob, stalk and leaves - are to be used to produce fuel ...

Your sarcasm notwithstanding, this is where ethanol is going ....