Obama Suspending Campaigning

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Link

Senator Barack Obama will suspend his campaigning for more than 36 hours this week to visit his grandmother Madelyn Dunham, who is gravely ill in Hawaii.

Mrs. Dunham, 85, all but raised Mr. Obama during his teenage years in Hawaii, and he has spoken of her often on the campaign trail. A campaign spokesman, Robert Gibbs, declined to specify the nature of her illness, other than to say it was quite serious. Mrs. Dunham lives in Honolulu.

?I think everyone understands that the decision that Senator Obama is making to go to Hawaii underscores the seriousness of the situation,? Mr. Gibbs said. ?As he has said, she poured everything she had into him.?

The Obama campaign has canceled scheduled appearances by Mr. Obama in Des Moines and Madison, Wis. But the senator will make an unexpected stop in Indianapolis on Thursday, Mr. Gibbs said, since that aligns more easily with his plan to depart for Hawaii.

Mr. Obama will fly to Hawaii on Thursday afternoon, and likely depart back to the mainland Friday evening. Mr. Gibbs said he is expected to return to the campaign trail on Saturday.

To leave the trail at this juncture, when the bell lap is upon both Mr. Obama and his Republican rival, Senator John McCain, carries an element of risk. Mr. Obama is running ahead in every national poll, but his lead in some recent polls is not large.

But Mr. Obama has little family left. His father and mother are dead, along with his grandfather, Stanley Dunham. His grandmother raised him for many years, while his mother lived in Indonesia.

On the eve of perhaps his greatest personal triumph, heartbreaking sadness.
rose.gif

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
It's gonna leave him open to attacks with no rebuttals, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope she's able to see him sworn in.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Wow, she is relatively young. My mom will be 79 if I get to Obama's age. God bless her and I hope she at least makes it to November 5th.

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
i don't think it will leave him open to attacks. Biden can 'take over' for 2 days. Obama's team is in-sync and managed supremely well enough to probably even go a week without Obama, honestly.

With 15 days left, this "october surprise' might let Obama win another day (or two) days worth of news.

Obama was supposed to be in Iowa and Wisconsin during those two days, so the effect would be minimum as those states are solidly blue and his surrogates will take over.

Banzai042

Jul 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Mani
It's gonna leave him open to attacks with no rebuttals, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope she's able to see him sworn in.

Not like it'd be hard for him to call a press conference for an hour and say something along the lines of "I came here to spend time with my sick grandmother, but now I need to take time to respond to these allegations", though I hope he doesn't need to. My guess is that the McCain PR people would realize how easily taking advantage of this could backfire.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Banzai042

Not like it'd be hard for him to call a press conference for an hour and say something along the lines of "I came here to spend time with my sick grandmother, but now I need to take time to respond to these allegations", though I hope he doesn't need to. My guess is that the McCain PR people would realize how easily taking advantage of this could backfire.

I hate to indulge in the political calculations but what you're getting at means it is a plus for Obama. With 14 days to go, he is eliminating 2 of them.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Even if she doesn't, she still will see him win the election, which is almost as good.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

The McCain campaign haven't let tact stop them thus far - I don't expect that to change.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Originally posted by: OFFascist
This is the racist one right? :disgust:

Indeed, the white racist granny of the first black president. What a mess

you are a horribly ugly person and a detriment to mankind

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Thanks for further proving what most already know. :roll:

Hopefully she'll make it to seeing her grandson elected and sworn into office.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Oh? you ALL got it backwards and wrong wrong wrong.
First, look back on EVERY opportunity Mccain and Palin have had
when they get the media attention advantage.
What have they done time after time?
Stuck their foot in their mouth.
And what happens after that?
Mccain's poll ratings drop like a rock in the deep blue ocean.

Obama doesn?t need to attack Mccain/Palin. Mccain/Palin make it perfectly
clear THEY can destroy their own campaign all by themselves.
News media + foot = mouth.
Obama advantage by default.

And you know McPalin will. You know its coming. If they think they have the media attention advantage, they will again make fools out of themselves.

Second, Obama?s decision just shows Obama has a good heart and puts family first.
Unlike that Palin lady dragging her special needs kid around playing "show off" for the media photo ops.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I don't think this will make a difference in the election.

I agree that if McPalin tries to exploit this, it will just end up backfiring.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Great, that's going to leave the door wide open for the McChristians to attack without a counter.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why does everyone think that just because Obama is in Hawaii that he can't counter? For crying out loud, do you think Obama personally responds to each attack, article, etc.? He employs an entire team of people to help in this regard as does McCain.

And I agree with the sentiments of a few others: Going on the attack while Obama has publicly stated that he's visiting an ailing grandmother wouldn't be prudent.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006

It mist have really hurt her... you bring up a boy like a mother and then he turns around and declares that he is "black" just for his political gains... I feel sorry for her

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: andy04

It mist have really hurt her... you bring up a boy like a mother and then he turns around and declares that he is "black" just for his political gains... I feel sorry for her

Awww, look at the cute little freeper talking point, isn't it adorable?

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: CitizenKain

hey look! someone took his face out of Obama's ass

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

I'm sure your mother regrets not having a visit from Dr. Coathanger...

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Like MCCain and his campaign have been so aware of negative attacks and other boneheaded moves backfiring in the past?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Dont... Its not needed, or requested. She is incredibly proud of her grandson, and gave up alot to raise him right. She is overwhelmingly proud as any grandma would be, more so becasue she is kind of mom-ish.

The question of race only came up in your tiny little mind.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: retrospooty

Dont... Its not needed, or requested. She is incredibly proud of her grandson, and gave up alot to raise him right. She is overwhelmingly proud as any grandma would be, more so becasue she is kind of mom-ish.

The question of race only came up in your tiny little mind.

Guess who needs to wake up broaden his/her outlook !? this whole election is based on race. Do you seriously believe a white guy could have come this far?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: CitizenKain

hey look! someone took his face out of Obama's ass

You better hit up freeperville and come up with something better then that, or Stormfront, not that there is much of a difference.