• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Obama supporters pressed Democratic Party officials to keep Colbert off ballot

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
21,503
8
0
Obama halts Colbert


I don't think this is going to help Obama. not only will it hurt him in SC but every state now. If anything he just gave up votes to Clinton and Edwards.

Also they should have let him on. it would have brought new young voters to the polls and maybe even to the final vote.
 

ChunkiMunki

Senior member
Dec 21, 2001
449
0
0
i hate when comedians "run" for a gag. it's been done before and not that clever then or now. it's easy to stand on the sidelines making fun of the real guys competing, kind of cowardly imo.
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
2
0
It's not helpful to his PR and gives zero gain, but it will be hard taking pot shots at a guy who asking that a comedian doing this as a joke not be allowed to be taken seriously.
 

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
6,278
0
0
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Obama halts Colbert


I don't think this is going to help Obama. not only will it hurt him in SC but every state now. If anything he just gave up votes to Clinton and Edwards.

Also they should have let him on. it would have brought new young voters to the polls and maybe even to the final vote.



As I understand it, Obama is trailing Clinton and Edwards in SC anyway. I don't see it as a 'biggie' one way or another . . . .
 

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
21,503
8
0
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's not helpful to his PR and gives zero gain, but it will be hard taking pot shots at a guy who asking that a comedian doing this as a joke not be allowed to be taken seriously.
But if he did not try and block it he might have been able to play it to get more young voters and mroe TV time with Colbert. I see this as a much bigger goof for Dems at the hands of the Obama team. Colbert could have brought a lot of new voters out. SC is not a very Dem freindly state so this could have really helped in the general election.
 

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
1,452
0
71
Honestly, it was ridiculous for Colbert to run in the first place. I appreciate that he's making a gag of the process, but in doing so, he really was throwing molasses in the gears.

What depressed me the most was that there were people who actually would have voted for him :(
 

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
8,475
0
76
Originally posted by: ChunkiMunki
i hate when comedians "run" for a gag. it's been done before and not that clever then or now. it's easy to stand on the sidelines making fun of the real guys competing, kind of cowardly imo.
Agreed..

I think Colbert and Stewart are complete idiots. It's not hard to make anyone look bad when you have tons of footage of them and don't mind cutting the clips to remove actual context.

 

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
10,576
1
0
Originally posted by: teclis1023
Honestly, it was ridiculous for Colbert to run in the first place. I appreciate that he's making a gag of the process, but in doing so, he really was throwing molasses in the gears.

What depressed me the most was that there were people who actually would have voted for him :(
bingo. anyone who wastes a vote on colebert shouldn't be voting in the first place. then again, those who'd be voting for colebert probably wouldn't be voting otherwise, so it takes care of itself. if anyone is seriously wailing and gnashing their teeth over colebert getting blocked, they need to re-evaluate some priorities in their life.

that said, you colebert supporters can still write in your vote :laugh:
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,061
494
126
What I found funny was he made such a big deal about the difference in application fee's as if it were to put the democratic party on a higher moral ground. Then they flat reject him with a slap to the face because they dont take him serious.

 

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
18,191
1
0
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: dahunan
How do they have the right to reject an American anyways?
Hey, some people are more equal than others.
Yes.. like Genx87 said above.. it takes $35,000 to equal a Republican in SC vs $5,000 to = a Dem

Anyhow.. they shouldn't have the right to reject anyone
 

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
1,452
0
71
The DNC is a private party, and therefore can reject anyone. Why would they allow someone who is clearly running as a gag to be part of their party? It just makes them look like a bunch of idiots. It's like a fraternity - just because fraternities operate on campuses doesn't mean they have to accept any student who wants to join.

Colbert made it very clear that his 'candidacy' was just a publicity stunt. He has no reason to be upset.
 

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
1,452
0
71
Originally posted by: daveymark
then again, those who'd be voting for colebert probably wouldn't be voting otherwise, so it takes care of itself. if anyone is seriously wailing and gnashing their teeth over colebert getting blocked, they need to re-evaluate some priorities in their life.

lol. These are the same people who rely on marijuana and toilet jokes to get massive rounds of applause. The same people who spend more time worrying about getting tickets to a concert than writing to their congressman about important issues. The people who feel a sense of entitlement to preferential treatment from a system that they don't participate in.

Gosh, I'll miss their votes.
 

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
34,992
5,039
126
We don't need to make a mockery of our democratic system for TV ratings. The media is doing it already. This is the most serious decision we as democracy make, and we need to treat it as such.
 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,907
173
106
Originally posted by: dahunan
How do they have the right to reject an American anyways?
He could run as an independant.

But as I understand it, he couldn't really run anyway. Some legal problems in campagn election laws due to his TV program.

Anyho, the below is good enough for me:

The Obama campaign denied any connection to the phone calls.
Fern
 

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
9,323
777
126
Originally posted by: dahunan
How do they have the right to reject an American anyways?
Because the Democratic and Republican Parties are seperate from the Government. They are not government institutions.
 

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
9,323
777
126
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: dahunan
How do they have the right to reject an American anyways?
He could run as an independant.

But as I understand it, he couldn't really run anyway. Some legal problems in campagn election laws due to his TV program.

Anyho, the below is good enough for me:

The Obama campaign denied any connection to the phone calls.
Fern
It wouldnt be so much the Equal Time clause, it was his corporate sponsorships from Frito Lays(Doritos) and Comedy Central that would have seriously(felonies) run him afoul of the FEC.
 

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
11,834
1
0
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's not helpful to his PR and gives zero gain, but it will be hard taking pot shots at a guy who asking that a comedian doing this as a joke not be allowed to be taken seriously.
QFT
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY