Obama supporters are cult members.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
It's not a cult thing. That's BS. I have only 3 people to choose, and the other 2 are total losers in comparison. It's not even funny. Hillary is all ego, too self-interested to lead, and McCain couldn't even find his way to the bathroom with directions. Fsck the issues. If issues were that important, I'd vote for myself before all 3 of them.

And that's really what it comes down to. Right or wrong, good or bad. You've got to pick the lesser of evils, just as we have in the past 2 elections.

I could never cast a vote in good conscience for a McCain or a Clinton. They're both part of the problem in Washington, not the solution. They are emblematic of the corrupt establishment and will never "change" a damn thing. Obama, for any faults he may have, at least has the potential.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
People are so desperate for renewal and a new course. Obama will win easily. All he has to do is to say "I'm different, stupid."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: GrGr
People are so desperate for renewal and a new course. Obama will win easily. All he has to do is to say "I'm different, stupid."

That nicely sums it up.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

It's not a cult thing. That's BS. I have only 3 people to choose, and the other 2 are total losers in comparison. It's not even funny. Hillary is all ego, too self-interested to lead, and McCain couldn't even find his way to the bathroom with directions. Fsck the issues. If issues were that important, I'd vote for myself before all 3 of them.

:thumbsup:

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Thump553
Excellent post, Fern, spot on. Its rare that I agree with you, but this time I think your analysis is right on target. It's hard for me to decide whether the original article is mostly silly or mostly jealous, but it definately is total BS.

Anyone that says Obama's speechs are all fluff hasn't listended to one, but is instead parroting the opposition party line. I've heard Obama and heard Clinton in person, and watched nearly every other candidate's stump speech on CSPAN. Obama has at least as many substantive points as do the others.

But remember, you look to position papers for the substance. Stump speeches (and debates) are primarily sales jobs intended to motivate.

Totally disagree. I'm not talking about a cult or anything but the basic observation in the column is more right than wrong: Obama's strength is communication and his product is hope.

Obama is the new "Great Communicator." He has a skill at talking evocatively and using folksy anecdotes that ordinary people can understand. He has a gift for optimism... and he always speaks of the future. He exudes a sense of country. Just like Reagan.

That's why I think a lot of people on the Right either like him or at least "accept" him. Obama taps into that conservative vein of future, hope, opportunity, and greatness... a righteous vision of what America can be.

Just like Reagan, he's bringing new and more people into his fold. And just like Reagan started the modern conservative movement, Obama will be starting the new, modern Liberal movement. It will be just a revolutionary. Obama will take a lot of people in the Middle and on the Right with him, as Reagan did. I just hope those on the Right understand this and go in with eyes wide open. If they do then fine, go with what you believe. If those people are supporting him in a fit of toddler-like spite because McCain doesn't satisfy them, then they have nobody to blame but themselves at what happens next.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang
That guy is a Fox News hack, selling what will be the Republican talking point for the fall. It is bullshit. Obama is an amazing speaker but he can and does go into policy details quite often. They are trying to take his best quality and turn it against him, good strategy let's see if it works.

Amazing speaker? "Hope, freedom, Hope, Hope, Hope, Change, Change, Hope, Change, Vote for Me, Hope, Change, freedom, Hope, Change, Hope, Hope, Hope, Hope."

-Barrack Obama

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster

And that's really what it comes down to. Right or wrong, good or bad. You've got to pick the lesser of evils, just as we have in the past 2 elections.

I could never cast a vote in good conscience for a McCain or a Clinton. They're both part of the problem in Washington, not the solution. They are emblematic of the corrupt establishment and will never "change" a damn thing. Obama, for any faults he may have, at least has the potential.

That's kinda silly. The federal government is an entrenched leviathan and thinking Obama (or any Rep or Dem) can change that is fantasy. Other than saying he wants change, what makes this pied piper an agent of change? Don't get me wrong, Obama will bring change, but not the sort of change where the corrupt establishment will be challenged. Puh-leeze.

I see another "Great Society" on the horizon. Pump us up on how awesome the US can be and then establishes programs and policies that stress our finances, wrecks our social fabric, and drains our individual freedom.

I know people are frustrated and they WANT to believe... who doesn't? But propaganda works best with a desperate populace.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
That guy is a Fox News hack, selling what will be the Republican talking point for the fall. It is bullshit. Obama is an amazing speaker but he can and does go into policy details quite often. They are trying to take his best quality and turn it against him, good strategy let's see if it works.

Amazing speaker? "Hope, freedom, Hope, Hope, Hope, Change, Change, Hope, Change, Vote for Me, Hope, Change, freedom, Hope, Change, Hope, Hope, Hope, Hope."

-Barrack Obama

Please advise SPECIFICALLY where that speech you purport to quote was given. Otherwise the assumption will be that your opinion is based upon fraudulent evidence and of no merit.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Krauthammer is a neocon. He's just spread disinformation for the Bush crowd.

Anyone who Krauthammer dislikes is probably a good person to have in office

Heh. Whenever I see Fox News complaining about some group/person I make a mental note that I should support their cause. ;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The scum in this country will slime Obama or anybody else who offers hope. Billions of dollars in parasitic investments go into the negative. Depression, fear, and hungry, vacuous need drive this economy. Hope is dangerous and anybody who pushes it is a cultist, a menace to the very fabric of the established society. One hundred year wars and endless strife are where the money is.

The O-cultists have arrived on the scene and must be stamped out.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The scum in this country will slime Obama or anybody else who offers hope. Billions of dollars in parasitic investments go into the negative. Depression, fear, and hungry, vacuous need drive this economy. Hope is dangerous and anybody who pushes it is a cultist, a menace to the very fabric of the established society. One hundred year wars and endless strife are where the money is.

The O-cultists have arrived on the scene and must be stamped out.

Hope is a powerful thing, on this we agree, but hope is not something I need a snake-oil preacher to offer me. Hope is something I've always had. I always hope that what I do will make a positive difference. Hope alone will make no difference. Hope alone has never put food on my table, payed my bills, planned for my future, etc. For those things to happen I've had to plan and work. The plan and work part seems to be something many people today don't want to do. So many people just want everything handed to them, for things to magically get better just because they hope it will. It makes me sick.

Message to Obama... To get my attention, don't try to tell me we're all just going to depend on the power of combined hope and everything will change for the better. I know that's bullshit. Tell me what you and I are going to do and how that will make a positive difference.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

-Barrack Obama

Please advise SPECIFICALLY where that speech you purport to quote was given. Otherwise the assumption will be that your opinion is based upon fraudulent evidence and of no merit.

You're missing the point.

Hope is Obama's only ticket. He can shout hope because he has no record or history, so nobody can question his integrity without being accused a racist or bigot.

Have you heard his speeches? Far from Ron Paul's fact sheet and detailed policies outlined with concrete solutions and additional FACTS. I don't want hope. I don't want change. I want facts and more facts that support those facts. I want the constitution. I want less government. I want civil liberties.

The "inspirational" politician is so cliche and will only appease the deluded.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Please please keep hope dead. I don't want to remember how I was murdered as a beautiful happy hopeful child. Pleas just leave me to this walking death I call being real and down to earth.

What you're missing moonbeam is that that hope is an IOU, which he has no intention or ability to fulfill its worth.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Is hope not the reason that anyone votes for... anything? If you vote for something, you're hoping it gets passed. If you're voting against it, you're hoping it fails.

The guy who wrote the article is an idiot. How about we point out the "cultishness" of Ron Paul's zealots?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Please please keep hope dead. I don't want to remember how I was murdered as a beautiful happy hopeful child. Pleas just leave me to this walking death I call being real and down to earth.

What you're missing moonbeam is that that hope is an IOU, which he has no intention or ability to fulfill its worth.

So what you're saying is Obama is a politician like any other. What you described is exactly what EVERY politician does. What's the point?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

-Barrack Obama

Hope is Obama's only ticket. He can shout hope because he has no record or history, so nobody can question his integrity without being accused a racist or bigot.

Have you heard his speeches? Far from Ron Paul's fact sheet and detailed policies outlined with concrete solutions and additional FACTS. I don't want hope. I don't want change. I want facts and more facts that support those facts. I want the constitution. I want less government. I want civil liberties.

If you actually knew anything, you'd know that Ron Paul's "fact sheet" is full of anything but facts.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I know. All hope is empty. I deserve every pain I suffer when hope comes crashing down and I'm left in bitter failure. Hope always fails. His hope is empty but so is mine. And that's the key. It's my hope that's empty and intentionless. Obama is me.

Nothing can stand before the will of God. Nothing! He who has surrendered to the will of God is king. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Nothing can stand before the will of God. Nothing! He who has surrendered to the will of God is King.

There is only love and if you believe in less, yours is the empty dream.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee

So what you're saying is Obama is a politician like any other. What you described is exactly what EVERY politician does. What's the point?

a lot of Obama's followers (see above) act like he's somehow "above" politics, with all that post-partisan doublespeak.

I like Obama well enough, but he can't possibly ever live up to this myth of himself that he's creating and people are buying into.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

a lot of Obama's followers (see above) act like he's somehow "above" politics, with all that post-partisan doublespeak.

I like Obama well enough, but he can't possibly ever live up to this myth of himself that he's creating and people are buying into.

So true. The myth he is creating is that the hope has to come from you. Please, please don't make a wave.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

So true. The myth he is creating is that the hope has to come from you. Please, please don't make a wave.

what exactly are we hoping for again? I mean, what's Obama going to do to make a wave? he's more or less a liberal who falls well in line with the rest of his party.

I'd vote for him, I just don't get the messianic-like airs you put on him.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

-Barrack Obama

If you actually knew anything, you'd know that Ron Paul's "fact sheet" is full of anything but facts.

Prove it.