Obama skips Polish funeral, heads to golf course

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Problem with maps is that they are viewed on a flat surface when the earth is actually round.

http://www.athropolis.com/map2.htm

But really, in the interested of safety and having to fly out of the way (which Air Force 1 can handle)... maybe a good decision to not go. But don't go out and play golf in shorts when the world is watching. Have some dignity as leader of the free world.

It's an Anus troll thread - guaranteed linear, one-dimensional.

The concept of spherical thinking is well outside his grasp :D

AND

LOL @ golf purists. I hope he wears his shorts with a doo-rag and a Harley t-shirt next round.

--

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Air Force One has "unlimited" range.
I am sure Obama could have found a way to get there if it was a priority to him.
I guess golf was more important.

I'm pretty sure they are not going to hold the Funeral up so Obama can make it after spending an additional 20+hours to get there. I'm also pretty sure if he did, you'd be making some lame ass post about how much money Obama is wasting trying to go out of his way to make a funeral for a dead Polish politician by using his "unlimited" range of fuel. In either case, you'd still be an idiot on this story.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
You must have missed the thing where you can't fly over western europe now, due to volcano ash - despite it being in the quote you posted.

No, he didn't miss it. The truth just doesn't fit his little agenda. He had an OP ready to go that was equally full of bullshit and lies HAD Obama attended funeral. That's why he's the oft banned troll he is.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
So he flies a couple hundred miles to take his wife on a date for a few hours and conservatives throw a fit. Then they throw a fit when he DOESN'T fly halfway around the world to a funeral for some guy no one's heard of. I notice a pattern.

Conservatives should be glad he didn't go. Michelle might have taken her kids shopping during the trip and they'd have to post threads declaring their outrage at how insensitive that is during a time of global recession (or something). The Obamas might have even gone to a nice restaurant!! :thumbsdown::mad:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
You must have missed the thing where the Russian president somehow found a way to fly from Moscow.
Are you stupid? You're seriously going to risk the President's life to attend the another President's funeral who (ironically) died because they ignored flight safety warnings.

Nov 30, 2006
Surely there are better reasons to critcize the man than this. But that said...it's kind of funny to see all the trite Sarah Palin bashers getting there panties in a bunch over this....oh the 'irony' of it all.

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
During the Bush administration when world opinion of the US was in the toilet the message from these people was it doesn't matter what foreigners think of the US.

Then Obama toured the world to improve our image and standing again and the right was outraged. He bowed! He apologized! He's demeaning the US to foreigners whose opinion doesn't even matter!

Now Obama doesn't fly half way around the world for a perfectly legitimate reason to attend a funeral and they are outraged again claiming that Obama is damaging our image with foreigners who not that long ago they claimed didn't matter!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8626041.stm

Surely there are better reasons to critcize the man than this. But that said...it's kind of funny to see all the trite Sarah Palin bashers getting there panties in a bunch over this....oh the 'irony' of it all.

Please explain whats ironic about it.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
If he was to go to Poland for the funeral, people would complain about him spending so much money on the trip and not being stateside for X reason.

Lose / lose situation for him.

Feb 16, 2005
this was lose-lose from the start for the op, if he went and flew an extra 20 hours to get there, it was a waste of time and money, by not going he's snubbing his nose at the loss of a 'friendly' nation.
he probably spurted a little bit knowing either way this went he'd be spent.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Poland was one of our allies in Europe when we were fighting against Germany during World War 2. If we wanted to get to the funeral we could have just flown around the stupid cloud. Could have at least sent Hillary or the vice president. They are both expendable. (Insert Sarcasm Here)

It is only like we have the entire United States Air Force at our disposal.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think most of the time, I went out of Atlanta. Typically, you fly up the east coast and then start over the ocean around Maine or so, and you go up and then a little south of Iceland IIRC. The last time, I flew from JFK and I don't recall how far north we went, but I thought it also stayed south of Iceland as well.

EDIT: I just remembered that the first time I went to France, it was via Cincinnati and it did not approach the pole either IIRC.

What I meant by pole was going over the curvature of the earth. It was a bad choice of words for what I meant. Most people I talk with who fly call it that eventhough technically they are only flying over the north atlantic or southern greenland.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
this was lose-lose from the start for the op, if he went and flew an extra 20 hours to get there, it was a waste of time and money, by not going he's snubbing his nose at the loss of a 'friendly' nation.
he probably spurted a little bit knowing either way this went he'd be spent.

Pretty sure everything he can do at the White House he can do on Air Force One...
(Except for golf)

Soltis

Mar 2, 2010
It was a lose-lose-win situation. He would've won if he had been a magical black man instead of a regular educated human president and had whisked away the volcanic cloud.

morgan_freeman_spill_97076o.jpg

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think this whole thread about vacation is rather silly. Though I do think the idea Obama went golfing while an allie had a state funeral for their president is damn lame.

But anybody who believes Presidents actually go on a traditional vacation are fucking stupid. I called the idiots who whined about Bush's vacations morons and Ill do the same about Obama.

For the record, I said in my first post about this that this is a non-issue, and there are plenty of reasons to criticize Obama, and that this isn't one of them. I am just pointing out Patranus and Spidey's blind hatred for Obama is ridiculous, and to support that, showing them how they give a pass to Bush for doing the same or worse.

Given the 24/7 nature of the job, I could care less about vacation times, since with modern communications, they can work from wherever they are. But somehow Spidey and Patranus live to invent things they can hate Obama for. And I will call them out to expose their stupidity when that happens, as anyone should.

spidey07 said:
My focus is on current events and pointing out failures of a failed presidency. But keep up with the "but bush". And you KNOW camp david can't be fully counted as vacation.

So you admit you have nothing to rebut my point that Bush spent 25% of his time on vacation. Put up or shut up. Gotcha. Show some facts, otherwise go skulk off and hide in the corner. But I guess it is easier for you to just throw insults around, since you have no facts.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/04/...d-on-post-normal-science-by-dr-jerome-ravetz/

“We sent ten Boeing 747 and Airbus 340 jets on transfer flights from Munich to Frankfurt,” Lufthansa spokesman Klaus Walther told the paper. The planes were moved in order to be in the most useful place once the ban is lifted, he explained.

“Our machines flew to a height of 24,000 feet, or around 8,000 metres. In Frankfurt the machines were examined by our technicians. They didn’t find the slightest scratch on the cockpit windscreens, on the outer skin nor in the engines.”

“The flight ban, which is completely based on computer calculations, is causing economic damage in the billions. This is why, for the future, we demand that dependable measurements must be available before a flight ban is imposed.”

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Who gives a shit? I despise this current Marxist administration, but why do we need to be half mast, offering condolences, singing prayers, and holding candles twenty four seven three hundred sixty fucking five for every natural event that occurs in the world?

A phone call is sufficient. How many from that side of the world fly over here and make a big stink all month in their nations any time we have a senator croak? It's called... life! Too bad so sad rest of us move on.

Last edited:

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Who gives a shit? I despise this current Marxist administration, but why do we need to be half mast, offering condolences, singing prayers, and holding candles twenty four seven three hundred sixty fucking five for every natural event that occurs in the world?

A phone call is sufficient. How many from that side of the world fly over here and make a big stink all month in their nations any time we have a senator croak? It's called... life! Too bad so sad rest of us move on.

Hahaha, you think he's marxist.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Jesus fucking christ. WHO CARES? he couldnt fly so why not? FUck the president is allowed to go on dates, fuck his wife, and go play golf. so fuck you for saying this is bad.

threads like this is why everyone dislikes the OP.