Obama skips Polish funeral, heads to golf course

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I hope you're not holding your breath waiting for him to respond to this ^

I am pretty sure both of those places had fully operable office and President Bush was able to conduct his business.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure a golf cart doesn't.......

(You know you don't camp at Camp David, right?)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Mr. Obama was not the only world leader to miss the funeral because of the expanding volcanic ash cloud. French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel also canceled.

outrage not found

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I am pretty sure both of those places had fully operable office and President Bush was able to conduct his business.

Correct. It's not even a close comparison.

While Obama shanks, the nation tanks.
As Obama hacks, our liberty is under attack
While Obama hooks, founding fathers shook (in their graves)

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=123649&sectionid=3510203

The volcanic ash cloud over Europe has called off US President Barack Obama's visit to Poland for the funeral of late President Lech Kaczynski.

"Michelle and I continue to have the Polish people in our thoughts and prayers, and will support them in any way I can as they recover from this terrible tragedy," Obama said in a White House statement.

The US president personally informed Poland's acting president, Bronislaw Komorowski, that he would not be attending the state funeral due to the volcano in Iceland.

The US ambassador to Poland, Lee Feinstein, would represent Washington at the funeral service on Sunday.

Kaczynski, his wife, and 94 other members of the country's elite were killed in an air crash in Russia on April 10.

Spokesperson for Poland's aviation authority Grzegorz Hlebowicz said all airports were closed Saturday to flights above the cloud level of 20,000 feet because of the ash cloud.

The terrible flying conditions were affecting millions of people around the world and costing airlines hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'm pretty sure AF1 would be coming in from higher than 20k feet.

Dec 10, 2005

:whiste:Troll, troll, troll your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
:whiste:Troll, troll, troll your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Lighten up Francis. I thought it was funny.

Obama tries sand save, our nation goes to it's grave
Obama in a lateral hazard, the nation a disaster
Obama hits out of bounds, our constitution thrown on the ground
Obama trying to hit the big stick, aww fuck it - he's still a big prick

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The OP has already been schooled on simple geography. As far as golf, the criticism against GWB was his blatant hypocrisy:

On May 13, 2008, Politico reported that Bush said he gave up golf in August 2003, quoting him saying: "I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf. ... I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal." However, as The Washington Post reported, "Although Bush says he has given up golf, he is a mountain-biking enthusiast who has been photographed taking part in rides. He took up biking after an injury sidelined him from running." Bush was also seen playing golf in October 2003, as a video MSNBC aired shows.

Source: http://mediamatters.org/research/201002040002

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
MAP.jpg

You do realiz when flying to Europe one doesnt fly over the atlantic right? But instead over the pole?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

You know that people have these wonderful things called cell phones, right?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

So you have nothing to dispute that Bush spent 25% of his entire administration on vacation, and refuse to complain about that, but complain about golf? Really?

Never mind the hours Bush spent mountain biking? Or running? At least try to be consistent in your blind hatred. (But I guess it wouldn't be blind anymore)

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
You do realiz when flying to Europe one doesnt fly over the atlantic right? But instead over the pole?

It depends where your flight originates actually. I've been to Europe several times and never flew over the pole.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It depends where your flight originates actually. I've been to Europe several times and never flew over the pole.

Where are you originating from? Miami? Anything in the north of the country would go over the pole. You dont actually go right over the pole but use the curvature of the earth to yoru advantage. Which is why Atlantic flights were halted for awhile from this erruption. Flights come down the otherside over iceland or a bit to the east where the plum is drifting.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So you have nothing to dispute that Bush spent 25% of his entire administration on vacation, and refuse to complain about that, but complain about golf? Really?

Never mind the hours Bush spent mountain biking? Or running? At least try to be consistent in your blind hatred. (But I guess it wouldn't be blind anymore)

I think this whole thread about vacation is rather silly. Though I do think the idea Obama went golfing while an allie had a state funeral for their president is damn lame.

But anybody who believes Presidents actually go on a traditional vacation are fucking stupid. I called the idiots who whined about Bush's vacations morons and Ill do the same about Obama.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

My focus is on current events and pointing out failures of a failed presidency. But keep up with the "but bush". And you KNOW camp david can't be fully counted as vacation.

Obama pulls one left, our liberty a victim of theft
Obama pushes one right, the economy still in blight

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You must have missed the thing where the Russian president somehow found a way to fly from Moscow.

Your an idiot!!
You realize that flying from Russia to Poland was no big deal?
The ash did not affect the soviet flight.....
But you really don`t care at all. You love to mis-inform people...

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Air Force One has "unlimited" range.
I am sure Obama could have found a way to get there if it was a priority to him.
I guess golf was more important.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
You know, he could have flown westward the long way if he really wanted to. Not that I really blame him, Id rather stay some than go to a Polish funeral, but then again, Im not some scummy politician.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Where are you originating from? Miami? Anything in the north of the country would go over the pole. You dont actually go right over the pole but use the curvature of the earth to yoru advantage. Which is why Atlantic flights were halted for awhile from this erruption. Flights come down the otherside over iceland or a bit to the east where the plum is drifting.

I think most of the time, I went out of Atlanta. Typically, you fly up the east coast and then start over the ocean around Maine or so, and you go up and then a little south of Iceland IIRC. The last time, I flew from JFK and I don't recall how far north we went, but I thought it also stayed south of Iceland as well.

EDIT: I just remembered that the first time I went to France, it was via Cincinnati and it did not approach the pole either IIRC.