Obama shares in sacrifice of common Americans, returns 5% of salary

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Some people who ran for the Presidency said they would accept vastly less or give most to charity. I think Romney said he would, not sure though. Truth be told 5% is nothing, being in the 1% I'm surprised most on the left are not calling on him and other liberals to give their fair share.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The president makes $400,000 a year

Mr. Obama and his wife, Michelle, reported adjusted gross income of $789,674 in 2011, the last year such figures were publicly available. Much of the additional money came from royalties from his books. The Obamas donated $172,130, or nearly 22 percent of their adjusted gross income, to charity. Mr. Obama gives after-tax proceeds from his children's book to a scholarship fund for children of slain and disabled soldiers.

Damn, President's make bank. $400,000 a year...

One could only dream..

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Fein9.jpg

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Some people who ran for the Presidency said they would accept vastly less or give most to charity. I think Romney said he would, not sure though. Truth be told 5% is nothing, being in the 1% I'm surprised most on the left are not calling on him and other liberals to give their fair share.

A lot of people say a lot of things, very few actually do anything they say they will.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So what? He can give speeches for $millions as soon as he's retired, corporations will fall all over themselves to give him big bucks, publishers will pay millions for a ghost written book and yet he gives a lower percentage of his money to charity then most the folks I know.

A nice little PR effort that costs him little and means even less.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
A fine gesture and I'm sure our members in House and Senate will do the same....

\why are you laughing?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
So what? He can give speeches for $millions as soon as he's retired, corporations will fall all over themselves to give him big bucks, publishers will pay millions for a ghost written book and yet he gives a lower percentage of his money to charity then most the folks I know.

A nice little PR effort that costs him little and means even less.

Says you.

I know, your opinion on the President is already set, so no new information would be likely to change it.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
I'm not sure this can really be considered "noble", seeing as how the president's entire salary is derived from loot stolen from taxpayers at the point of a gun.

Would any rational person think it noble for a mugger to steal a hundred dollars and, right before he runs away, turn around and hand you back a five dollar bill with the comment, "here, this is just a little something that shows how bad I feel about your hardship"?

Only if you're a statist kook, I suppose.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I'm not sure this can really be considered "noble", seeing as how the president's entire salary is derived from loot stolen from taxpayers at the point of a gun.

Would any rational person think it noble for a mugger to steal a hundred dollars and, right before he runs away, turn around and hand you back a five dollar bill with the comment, "here, this is just a little something that shows how bad I feel about your hardship"?

:hmm:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Elections have consequences No. 8

One of them is a salary for being an elected official.

Not so sure about this stolen from the end of a gun stuff... is that a libertarian thing?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I think a meaningful gesture would be to do the job for $1. He can keep all the rest of the perks of the job.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

derp

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Says you.

I know, your opinion on the President is already set, so no new information would be likely to change it.

Well, he has been President for over 4 years. Based on his speeches and accomplishments, I think an opinion cane be set.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012

Good point. Last election cycle, I suppose, a number of candidates suggested they might return some of their salary. But, even though saying this makes me look hypocritical, when you have a "bankers bank," ie Mitt Romney a retired investment banker and millionaire, it does make the salary issue seem inconsequent.

Still I wonder, despite what your views on it are, was Obama the first to voluntarily return part of his salary?

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Elections have consequences No. 8

One of them is a salary for being an elected official.

LOL, "elected official".

You sound like one of those democracy True Believers.

Not so sure about this stolen from the end of a gun stuff... is that a libertarian thing?

Don't pay taxes for a few years and find out what happens. Eventually, armed government thugs will be at your door demanding payment.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
LOL, "elected official".

You sound like one of those democracy True Believers.

Don't pay taxes for a few years and find out what happens. Eventually, armed government thugs will be at your door demanding payment.

Oops!! Looks like my bullshit detector when off again!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I see... so purposely not paying one's taxes then being held accountable for being a scofflaw is tantamount to being robbed at the end of a gun. Makes sense...

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
So who has done it before?

Who has said it or who has actually given back? IIRC off the top of my head the people who said they would take anything from a dollar a year to minimum wage has been Romney, Perot and Paul in order of chances of being elected. I am sure there are others who have said it throughout history.

I'm glad he is giving some back sure, but just like liberals said Romney taking a dollar a year was meaningless so is this. He is in the 1% and yet this is enough to satisfy the left? :hmm:

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Sad fact is that at least 50% of workers in US couldn't do the same. That many don't have any savings.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Pointless and silly gesture. Well, maybe not entirely pointless, it will earn him some points with the brainless.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Pointless and silly gesture. Well, maybe not entirely pointless, it will earn him some points with the brainless.

Nope. Not pointless and silly at all. It was a symbolic gesture to show solidarity with everyday Americans who are being affected by the sequester. I kind of admire him for it.

You may choose to debate how much of a "personal sacrifice" it is to give up $20k when your salary is $400k, but the real point is that he chose to do it voluntarily and with good intentions. Nobody forced him to do it.

And until I see a leadership Republican return the gesture, the President is going beyond what anyone else is doing, at least.