Obama sees dead people!!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Between his claims of visiting 57 states with one more to go, and declaring to veterans on Memorial Day that his uncle helped liberate the Auschwitz death camp at the end of World War II,

WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY!!!

He reallllly needs to lay off the fuckin stories. Looks like Democrat's only choice this election is to vote for a story teller.

FIFTY SEVEN? HUH? What country is he campaigning in?

Okay seriously. To be fair.

Has McCain made any slip ups like this?

McCain was hammered for a good while by the MSM when he mixed up Shiite and Sunni while speaking back in March.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Between his claims of visiting 57 states with one more to go, and declaring to veterans on Memorial Day that his uncle helped liberate the Auschwitz death camp at the end of World War II,

He reallllly needs to lay off the fuckin stories. Looks like Democrat's only choice this election is to vote for a story teller.

I think McCain needs to share some of his meds with you. Calm. Relax. Breathe.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk

I think McCain needs to share some of his meds with you. Calm. Relax. Breathe.
Isn't it Sid's wife Cindy who has the good meds?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So now it was a great uncle and a completely different camp and no explanation of the 2002 speech regarding Auschwitz.

Well, I don't want to hear any more crap about Dubya's gaffes.

Obama is right up there with him.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
The answer is the camp the great uncle entered was actually Buchenwald.
http://ap.google.com/article/A...7ZoayuBKSA8GgD90U7S4G4

It should be noted that its not clear if the great uncle was responsible for telling Obama this incorrectly in the first place, so Obama's only mistake may have been not factchecking his uncle's statement before mentioning it publicly.

This is a fairly minor issue as far as these things go, particularly since it wasn't something Obama personally claimed to have done. (As previously noted the 57 state statement was a misspeak and he intended to say 47 states.) In general Obama has been under the public eye heavily in recent months giving a huge number of speeches in public, so its not suprising you will find a few minor mistakes if you look hard enough over everything he has said.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
So now it was a great uncle and a completely different camp and no explanation of the 2002 speech regarding Auschwitz.

The other statement may be essentially accurate because it was about stories his great uncle had heard, and the Soviet were allies at the time so they could be described as "fellow soldiers." (For that matter it could be fellow soldiers who made up the story and Obama's statement would still be perfectly accurate.)

The reality is right now the evidence points to Bush's gaffes being far more substantive and frequent, but I'll admit in by themselves gaffes are not that big a deal. What is of concern is if the confusion appears to involve important matters of public policy and not simply a mispeak or getting a minor detail of something not especially directly related to current public policy wrong.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: LTC8K6

The difference is Bush is a dumb ass, the results of his mismanaging the country over the last 7 1/2 years bares that out.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The fact that so many wingnut trolls hate him so desperately is proof enough to me that he must be doing something right.

And BTW, from your own article:
The Obama campaign says the mistake was not as horrific as it might seem. His uncle was there at the liberation of Buchenwald. Obama just confused the names of the concentration camps.

"Senator Obama's family is proud of the service of his grandfather and uncles in World War II - especially the fact that his great uncle was a part of liberating one of the concentration camps at Buchenwald. Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton this afternoon in a statement, which also clarified that the great-uncle "Served in the 89th Infantry Division that Liberated Ohrdruf, a Subcamp of Buchenwald, the First Camp Liberated by Americans, on April 4, 1945."

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Are you guys running out of straws to grasp?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
Was it his uncle Tom?

Obama's campaign says it was his great-uncle, Charlie Payne, on his mother's side (and therefore white FYI).

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Was it his uncle Tom?

dude really? Do we need these kind of comments? The bashers are bad enough.

Maybe is was his brothers uncle bush?

Christ I've never heard so many really lame attempts .... Can you get back to us when it really matters? I mean sheesh....

Anything else Obama said you'd like us to know?

Maybe we could have an "Obamam said...." Only Thread.....

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Was it his uncle Tom?

So, do you kiss your mother (who also happens to be your sister) with that mouth while you lay on your confederate flag bedsheets making more kin?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Totally, because Buchenwald was just the amusement park kind of death camp.

Its was where the Jewish elitists went to be genocided.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
I kinda' like the part towards the end where he talks about having a 20th Century VA, and not having vets sleeping on the streets.

Sad, the current condition :(