Obama seeks 34 million blank green cards, work permits

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
The rather well known conservative group, Center for Immigration Studies, has been campaigning against legal immigration for many many years.

Its senior policy analyst Stephen Steinlight has openly called for a ban on all Muslim immigrants.

I am not saying that is the case with each and everyone, but in general, the issue of immigration and xenophobia are never far apart. Not in America, not in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Immigration_Studies

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...muslims-believe-things-are-subversive-constit

Thank you. I was not aware of major groups specifically against legal immigration. I figured that there could be smaller groups.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
my thoughts on citizenship.

we need to total overhaul on how we grant it. there are thousands of well qualified people that can't get to the US because of how slow the process is.

meanwhile those people who are sitting in line are getting screwed over because they fallowed the rules.

we need to tighten the boarder. stop allowing thousands of people to walk across every day.

those that came over illegally should be deported. The process of granting citizenship should be sped up.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
my thoughts on citizenship.

we need to total overhaul on how we grant it. there are thousands of well qualified people that can't get to the US because of how slow the process is.

meanwhile those people who are sitting in line are getting screwed over because they fallowed the rules. we need to tighten the boarder. stop allowing thousands of people to walk across every day.

those that came over illegally should be deported. The process of granting citizenship should be sped up.

While I agree with your post, who is going to pick our food, build our roads, build our bridges,,,,?

If we allow just engineers, science, math, computer, medicine people into the nation, who is going to do the manual labor stuff? Doctors, engineers, teachers all need roads to drive on and food on the table.

Now for the kicker.

I feel Americans have grown too lazy to do certain types of work. It boils down to how much people make on welfare as compared to how much someone makes on a job.

If someone takes a $10 an hour job that last 2 months working on a road, but they lose their medicaid and food stamps in the process, in the long run they lost money.

Some areas of the nation are so economically depressed, welfare keeps the stores open and the people fed.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
While I

If someone takes a $10 an hour job that last 2 months working on a road, but they lose their medicaid and food stamps in the process, in the long run they lost money.

Yes, that is a good point. All the more reason for universal health care like in any other industrialized and even some not industrialized countries, where they don't require you to become very poor to have access to medical care

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
While I agree with your post, who is going to pick our food, build our roads, build our bridges,,,,?

If we allow just engineers, science, math, computer, medicine people into the nation, who is going to do the manual labor stuff? Doctors, engineers, teachers all need roads to drive on and food on the table.

Now for the kicker.

I feel Americans have grown too lazy to do certain types of work. It boils down to how much people make on welfare as compared to how much someone makes on a job.

Some areas of the nation are so economically depressed, welfare keeps the stores open and the people fed.

this is part of the problem with the US. so many are told that college is the only way to earn a living.

This is flat out wrong and hurting the US. it has caused many kids to get inflated loans, idiotic degrees and damaged what a degree should be. It has also caused kids to stop looking into manual labor jobs. those that take them are looked at as failures.

in reality not all kids are cut out for college or office work. we should really get back to training kids in highschool to do them.

have US citizens do those jobs.

Though yes we should have a "guest worker" type thing for some jobs. but i still feel the majority should be done by us workers.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So when the AP is reporting the story are they some sort of Right wing nut jobs?

That a solicitation for bid was issued has not been in dispute. The interpretation of such a request is. Similar to when DHS put out solicitation for bids on 1.6B rounds of ammunition and people thought DHS was going to take over the country and shoot every citizen three times.

The President's authority to grant Green Cards by executive action is quite limited by law. They can probably shift the numbers around a bit by reclaiming unused green card quota and allowing family members of residents to acquire them more easily but that's about it and results in a relatively modest uptick. The bureaucratic backlog that would be created if even congress ok'd the issuance of 9M green cards in a year would be nothing short of epic and stretch years before they could be realistically given out.

Last edited:

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
That a solicitation for bid was issued has not been in dispute. The interpretation of such a request is. Similar to when DHS put out solicitation for bids on 1.6B rounds of ammunition and the people thought DHS was going to take over the country and shoot every citizen three times.

The President's authority to grant Green Cards by executive action is quite limited buy law. They can probably shift the numbers around a bit by reclaiming unused green card quota and allowing family members of residents to acquire them more easily but that's about it and results in a relatively modest uptick. The bureaucratic backlog that would be created if even congress ok'd the issuance of 9M green cards in a year would be nothing short of epic and stretch years before they could be realistically given out.

Gosh, that is way too much sense in one post. Somebody needs to come and restore the balance :)

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Though yes we should have a "guest worker" type thing for some jobs. but i still feel the majority should be done by us workers.

With this amnesty brings a question.

Hispanics are hard workers. They work the fields, they build our roads and pick our crops. But do they preform those difficult manual labor jobs because they have to, or because they want to? I would imagine it is both.

If overnight those laborers were told they can get free public housing, free healthcare, free food stamps, but if they get a better paying job they lose all those benefits, what is going to happen?

In the end, the government will create another group of people drawing welfare.

As for getting US citizens to preform manual labor jobs, cry baby liberals will fight that tooth and nail. There is no way people on welfare can be forced to work.

There are a lot of illegals out there who will further their education and become trained professionals, and more power to them. But the economy can not support an influx of tens of thousands of new workers on top of our current college graduates.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
The President's authority to grant Green Cards by executive action is quite limited by law. They can probably shift the numbers around a bit by reclaiming unused green card quota and allowing family members of residents to acquire them more easily but that's about it and results in a relatively modest uptick.

The legal immigration situation is so messed up that if a person is say a green card holder, they can just about forget marrying someone outside the country. The backlog is so huge that the wait can last upto ten years. There have been many marriages that have fallen apart.

Yet on the other hand, there are millions and millions of people who just cross the border.....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The legal immigration situation is so messed up that if a person is say a green card holder, they can just about forget marrying someone outside the country. The backlog is so huge that the wait can last upto ten years. There have been many marriages that have fallen apart.

Yet on the other hand, there are millions and millions of people who just cross the border.....

The State Department badly needs to round up a team like the one that fixed the horribly broken healthcare.gov to restructure the entire visa system front to back and have someone with authority ruthlessly eliminate/consolidate useless or duplicate steps in the process that just waste time. We can't even issue the visas for the quotas we have in a timely fashion and this is by no means a new development.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
The President's authority to grant Green Cards by executive action is quite limited by law. They can probably shift the numbers around a bit by reclaiming unused green card quota and allowing family members of residents to acquire them more easily but that's about it and results in a relatively modest uptick. The bureaucratic backlog that would be created if even congress ok'd the issuance of 9M green cards in a year would be nothing short of epic and stretch years before they could be realistically given out.

Given that Obama chooses to bend the law on a whim, bypassing the will and intent of Congress when such a law was passed; he will do so again. He knows that it is not correct; look again at the timing of the issue - prevents his "allies" from getting political flack prior to an election.

More to do about the nationality of the potential spouse rather than the fact that the person is a Green Card holder and possibly the location within the US that the petitioner is in.

I have known people that get it done within 2 years of applying.
SE Asia.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Given that Obama chooses to bend the law on a whim, bypassing the will and intent of Congress when such a law was passed; he will do so again. He knows that it is not correct; look again at the timing of the issue - prevents his "allies" from getting political flack prior to an election.

More to do about the nationality of the potential spouse rather than the fact that the person is a Green Card holder and possibly the location within the US that the petitioner is in.

SE Asia.

That he might address immigration in some limited way after the midterms hasn't been a mystery, particularly after efforts in congress stalled for the same reason. Is he going to issue 34M Green Cards to Mexicans and Central American illegals already inside the US? No because it is not at all legal under the law and Congress could easily impeach him for it.

2 years is still too long to issue a visa.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013

SE Asia.

It depends. That spouse may have been a US citizen, instead of green card holder - which takes much longer. And as you said, it depends on the nationality of the applicant too.

The point is that people who do things the right way have all these bureaucratic hurdles, quotas etc in their way. So much so that it is just not possible for them to do things the legal way in many cases. Yet on the other hand the millions are are here illegally will eventually get legal status.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
It depends. That spouse may have been a US citizen, instead of green card holder - which takes much longer. And as you said, it depends on the nationality of the applicant too.

The point is that people who do things the right way have all these bureaucratic hurdles, quotas etc in their way. So much so that it is just not possible for them to do things the legal way in many cases. Yet on the other hand the millions are are here illegally will eventually get legal status.

I regretfully agree with all you have stated.

In two of the cases that I know of/assisted in the paperwork prep, the spouse was green card. The third was already a US citizen.
One of them was a second marriage - came in under a green card; got divorced and then obtained the originally intended wife. Took 7 years for that process.

And the last part is the frustration - reward people the did wrong while the people trying to do right are being penalized.

Last edited:

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

I would slightly disagree with the laziness part. Americans WILL do the work, just not for such low wages. So it's not that they are too lazy, it's that their wages have been so severely undercut that it is no longer worth it to do that type of work.

If the illegal immigration were completely eliminated, then wages would HAVE to increase in order to attract legal residents to take those jobs. Which actually isn't as devastating to consumer prices as some people might assume.

Take the example of the proverbial $1 head of lettuce at the grocery market. The portion of that $1 that went to the workers is close to 10% of that final price, or $0.10. If you were to TRIPLE the workers' wages (or double wages + add a 1x of their wage worth of benefits...or whatever combo to triple their overall cost), final price of lettuce goes from $1 to $1.20.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
That a solicitation for bid was issued has not been in dispute. The interpretation of such a request is. Similar to when DHS put out solicitation for bids on 1.6B rounds of ammunition and people thought DHS was going to take over the country and shoot every citizen three times.

So why ask to quote something if you know it wont happen?

just for the lulz?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
That he might address immigration in some limited way after the midterms hasn't been a mystery, particularly after efforts in congress stalled for the same reason. Is he going to issue 34M Green Cards to Mexicans and Central American illegals already inside the US? No because it is not at all legal under the law and Congress could easily impeach him for it.

2 years is still too long to issue a visa.

If Obama isn't going to do something bold and semi legal why wait till after the election?

Why ask for millions of green cards if your not going to use them?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So why ask to quote something if you know it wont happen?

just for the lulz?

Because some people jump to irrational conclusions with no basis in reality, particularly when everything they read is slanted to their viewpoint.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If Obama isn't going to do something bold and semi legal why wait till after the election?

Why ask for millions of green cards if your not going to use them?

He's waiting for the same reason Congress has failed to act before the election.

Oh look...there is a Snopes even for this now.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/greencards.asp

The widely-quoted portion about "possible future immigration reform initiative requirements" and a "surge" can be found on page 28 of the request for proposal (RFP) attached to the bid posting. The full context of the quote is available in the Background and Scope portions of the RFP, in which the USCIS stated that more than 50 million of the cards were already in circulation:

USCIS currently has over 54 million personalized cards in circulation. These cards have been specially designed and contain embedded security features and other physical characteristics that make them unique to the USCIS even before the actual card is personalized.

USCIS is seeking 100% polycarbonate solid body PRC and EAD card stock with RFID and holographic images embedded within the card construction substrate layers, card design service, and storage for secure identification card stock at the vendors manufacturing facilities with an option to store at the USCIS Forms Center, when directed, and related technical support services. The Contractor shall deliver a combined volume of up to 4 million PRC and EAD cards annually. In addition, the Contractor shall demonstrate the capability to support potential "surge" in PRC and EAD card demand for up to 9M cards during the initial period of performance to support possible future immigration reform initiative requirements.

The combined estimates mentioned in the RFP led many to mistakenly believe that President Obama planned to allow more than 30 million immigrants to enter the United States in the near future, rather than the government's seeking a vendor who could supply that number of card blanks (for both newly issued cards and replacements of existing cards) over a span of several years

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
He's waiting for the same reason Congress has failed to act before the election.

Oh look...there is a Snopes even for this now.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/greencards.asp

My concern is that they are requesting that the vendor be able to support an "initial surge" of 9M in the first year Yet current immigration levels are 1M.

The cards are not replacing existing cards.

So why the need for additional 7-8M card capacity?

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My concern is that they are requesting that the vendor be able to support an "initial surge" of 9M in the first year Yet current immigration levels are 1M.

The cards are not replacing existing cards.

So why the need for additional 7-8M card capacity?

If I was to gamble on a theory of what Obama could do on his own it would be that to direct the state department to stop counting dependents against the visa caps and retroactively clear that backlog. I believe this is within his authority at present. A substantial expansion of EADs may also be a possibility. However I think it is physically impossible for the government to actually process anything close to that number.

More probable is that there is reason to think that there will be some sort of immigration deal after the midterms thus bids are being solicited with that in mind. Dangling expansion of H1Bs and the extremely pressing need for the Republicans to start really courting the latino vote for 2016 could get things moving.

Regardless of what happens, Obama isn't making 34M new citizens (or even giving out that number of Green Cards) by executive order since it is legally and physically impossible.

Last edited: