Obama says "Everybody should be bilingual, or everybody should be trilingual."

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Considering most cannot even write half decently, I'd say that trying to learn a second language is the cart before the horse.

there's still nothing wrong with setting it as the goal...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse74
One of my biggest regrets is that I did not focus enough on foreign languages while I was younger... Obama is absolutely correct in saying that our children should be taught two or more languages in addition to English. If they're lucky enough to master more than one, there futures will be exponentially more secure.

Any of you rednecks who think this has ANYTHING to do with capitulation, or cultural subversion, are fucking retarded.

sorta like Quebec?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
One of my biggest regrets is that I did not focus enough on foreign languages while I was younger... Obama is absolutely correct in saying that our children should be taught two or more languages in addition to English. If they're lucky enough to master more than one, there futures will be exponentially more secure.

Any of you rednecks who think this has ANYTHING to do with capitulation, or cultural subversion, are fucking retarded.

sorta like Quebec?
How many languages do you speak Citrix?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

sorta like Quebec?

Notice how no one is saying, including Obama, that everyone should learn Spanish so that we cater to Spanish speaking people's needs. If you want to complain about Obama, you can possibly complain that he didn't address the question entirely and kind of pulled the conversation to a tangent topic.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This thread made me realize that the neocon agenda in America has fully realized Orwell's nightmare of fascism.

War is Peace -- we're fighting the "Islamofascists" in the ME led by Emmanuel Goldstein bin Laden.

Freedom is Slavery -- capitalism has been re-defined as government favoritism for a privileged few.

Ignorance is Strength -- learning more than one language, or anything beyond what is considered necessary, is unpatriotic.

You guys rock!

:frown:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
This thread made me realize that the neocon agenda in America has fully realized Orwell's nightmare of fascism.

War is Peace -- we're fighting the "Islamofascists" in the ME led by Emmanuel Goldstein bin Laden.

Freedom is Slavery -- capitalism has been re-defined as government favoritism for a privileged few.

Ignorance is Strength -- learning more than one language, or anything beyond what is considered necessary, is unpatriotic.

You guys rock!

:frown:

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Considering most cannot even write half decently, I'd say that trying to learn a second language is the cart before the horse.

there's still nothing wrong with setting it as the goal...

No, nothing wrong with a "goal" no matter how misguided or infeasible it is. However, I agree with Skoorb that maybe we should worry about English first and continue to have 2nd languages be optional. So I guess I disagree with obamarama if he starts with the premise that everyone should be bi or trilingual. I think it's a foolish premise...especially on the national level.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
One of my biggest regrets is that I did not focus enough on foreign languages while I was younger... Obama is absolutely correct in saying that our children should be taught two or more languages in addition to English. If they're lucky enough to master more than one, their futures will become exponentially more secure.

I agree 100%. I don't get what all the fuss is about? And hey, while we're teaching our kids multiple languages, let's also expect that ESL kids will learn english.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
One of my biggest regrets is that I did not focus enough on foreign languages while I was younger... Obama is absolutely correct in saying that our children should be taught two or more languages in addition to English. If they're lucky enough to master more than one, their futures will become exponentially more secure.

I agree 100%. I don't get what all the fuss is about? And hey, while we're teaching our kids multiple languages, let's also expect that ESL kids will learn english.

sounds great to me!! :thumbsup:

Feb 6, 2007

sorta like Quebec?

Please tell me that you can see the difference between "You must learn English and French" and "You must learn English and any other language of your choosing."

And rare is the day when I agree with palehorse, but I definitely do here. I'm glad I took as much Spanish as I did, though I do wish I were slightly more proficient. It has nothing to do with being able to communicate with Spanish-speaking immigrants, I simply want to be able to speak more than one language. It was a fluke I ended up taking Spanish instead of French or Italian or the other languages I could've taken (I had a year of ASL in grade school, but I've forgotten everything but the alphabet).

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
OK, let's see. The man makes a claim that people should strive to have more knowledge. People get up in arms, because this is America, dammit, and we pride ourselves on our ignorance. What if he had said, "Everyone should have a basic understanding of calculus?" "Fuck him, I've got calculators for that shit!" "Everyone should know the countries of the world." "Fuck that, the only country I care about is America!" It makes us look like ignorant savages to claim that by learning more than one language we are kowtowing to the perceived threat posed by illegal immigration. He didn't even say Spanish. You could learn Swahili; I don't think there's a giant mass of Kenyans swarming across the border, is there?

I love my country, but some of the people in it sicken me. Dios mio...

i agree man. i agree.

So you think that the majority of people in Qubec are ignorant? They are almost exclusively French speaking.

I learned some French before going to europe. And I GTFO when I was supposed to. Why do people who come here need to be treated any differently than us when we goto other countries?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

WTF does the metric system have to so with obamas position that we all should learn spanish to accommodate the illegals?

You're probably too young to remember, but back in the late sixties and seventies there was a big push to convert the US to all metric on the grounds that it was easier to use and would promote international commerce. This was vehemently opposed by a vocal minority on the grounds that (a) if I could learn inches, pounds, miles, etc. as a kid it's good enough for future generations (ie, I don't want to have to relearn anything) and (b) I already have a set of tools for my good old US car and don't want to have to buy another set in metric (result-just about everyone who works on cars these days HAS to have two sets of tools).

Oh, and Citrix, there are more than two languages in the world-Obama was not speaking in code that you should be required to learn Spanish.

Well said, and I totally agree. I studied French and Spanish in elementary school and high school, unfortunately I really suck at learning languages.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Kappo
Originally posted by: maziwanka
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
OK, let's see. The man makes a claim that people should strive to have more knowledge. People get up in arms, because this is America, dammit, and we pride ourselves on our ignorance. What if he had said, "Everyone should have a basic understanding of calculus?" "Fuck him, I've got calculators for that shit!" "Everyone should know the countries of the world." "Fuck that, the only country I care about is America!" It makes us look like ignorant savages to claim that by learning more than one language we are kowtowing to the perceived threat posed by illegal immigration. He didn't even say Spanish. You could learn Swahili; I don't think there's a giant mass of Kenyans swarming across the border, is there?

I love my country, but some of the people in it sicken me. Dios mio...

i agree man. i agree.

So you think that the majority of people in Qubec are ignorant? They are almost exclusively French speaking.

I learned some French before going to europe. And I GTFO when I was supposed to. Why do people who come here need to be treated any differently than us when we goto other countries?

If the majority if Quebecois are going around claiming they don't need to learn any other languages and learning another language would be kowtowing to the perceived threat of illegal immigration, then yes, I would consider them ignorant. I think anyone who willfully dismisses attaining more knowledge as a bad thing is willfully ignorant.

And no one is saying that immigrants to our country shouldn't learn English. Let's look at the original quote: "Everybody should be bilingual." Everybody. Immigrants are part of everybody, ergo they should be bilingual, and I happen to think that they should make an effort to learn the language of the country they are in, just as I would make an effort to learn the language of whatever country I was in, whether I am immigrating or just visiting. It's the polite thing to do.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Sigh. Here we go again. Being bilingual/triliingual/whatever is a good thing. I have yet to meet anyone who is looked *down* upon for knowing/speaking more than one language. It should be encouraged further in our society. However, what I don't understand is why people equate the necessity/practicality of having a common language with looking down on people who know how to speak other languages than English. In order to conduct efficient commerce and all fully participate in the political discourse of this country, a common language is a real boon. Hint: Although it is not official, since this country's inception this has effectively been English. You had small pockets of people here and there who spoke German, French, Spanish, etc., but they mostly all learned English over time to be able to communicate more effectively with others in the nation. I consider those who think it is okay for the Spanish speaking population here in the US (legal or illegal) to continue to speak/learn only Spanish to be just as ignorant (or even racist) as those who think that those who only speak English in the US not to attempt to learn another language. There should never be places in the US where someone who knows English is looked down upon or discriminated against for opting to use our common language. Yet, places in this nation are being allowed to develop where that is the case.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Not all of us can be liberal arts majors and work at Starbucks. I am good at figuring things out, science, and a bit of math. I cant even spell in ENGLISH (thank GOD for F7 or people would never know WTF I was saying). Do I want to become bilingual? If there was a pill that made us this way, who the HELL would refuse? No one. I personally have better things to do, IMO.

A better question is "Why SHOULD I be bilingual or trilingual?" Because it makes me "smarter"? If some guy calls me up and starts yapping in Spanish, I hang up. If I were trying to call someone in Mexico, I would learn the language, but Im not.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Sigh. Here we go again. Being bilingual/triliingual/whatever is a good thing. I have yet to meet anyone who is looked *down* upon for knowing/speaking more than one language. It should be encouraged further in our society. However, what I don't understand is why people equate the necessity/practicality of having a common language with looking down on people who know how to speak other languages than English. In order to conduct efficient commerce and all fully participate in the political discourse of this country, a common language is a real boon. Hint: Although it is not official, since this country's inception this has effectively been English. You had small pockets of people here and there who spoke German, French, Spanish, etc., but they mostly all learned English over time to be able to communicate more effectively with others in the nation. I consider those who think it is okay for the Spanish speaking population here in the US (legal or illegal) to continue to speak/learn only Spanish to be just as ignorant (or even racist) as those who think that those who only speak English in the US not to attempt to learn another language. There should never be places in the US where someone who knows English is looked down upon or discriminated against for opting to use our common language. Yet, places in this nation are being allowed to develop where that is the case.

Alot of people claim this but I have yet to see any real evidence of it other then discussion about it amongst a group of friends. Sounds like alot of anecdotal evidence and very little proof. Saying that an area only has Spanish signs isn't exactly outrageous. Have you been to the ethnically focused areas in the many urban areas in this country. There's almost always a Chinatown, a Little Tokyo or Japan Town, a Korea Town, a Little Italy, etc. This is not some new phenomenon just like how a mass influx of immigrants also creates the illusion that those people aren't adapting to our society. It takes time for assimilation to occur and most of the people whining about it on P&N basically look at it on a micro scale time-line.

As to the OP's topic, nowhere did Obama say that we should all learn Spanish and that's the point that the OP was trying to imply.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Not all of us can be liberal arts majors and work at Starbucks. I am good at figuring things out, science, and a bit of math. I cant even spell in ENGLISH (thank GOD for F7 or people would never know WTF I was saying). Do I want to become bilingual? If there was a pill that made us this way, who the HELL would refuse? No one. I personally have better things to do, IMO.

A better question is "Why SHOULD I be bilingual or trilingual?" Because it makes me "smarter"? If some guy calls me up and starts yapping in Spanish, I hang up. If I were trying to call someone in Mexico, I would learn the language, but Im not.

Generalizations for the win right heh.

I'm currently majoring in biology with a minor in physics, and I know almost 4 languages now. Do I break your mold? I am pretty sure most people who are taking language courses, or learning a new language are taking more...technical or academic degrees than liberal arts major as well. If you don't know this already you need to learn to network.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

First of all, you need to take a class in linguistics. Learning languages is a very natural process for children at younger ages, which is why it's good to push for it when in the developmental stage. It's obvious that it'll become harder for people to learn languages as they get older which is why having language courses in school is a great way to start the development.

In regards to why you should be bilingual or trilingual? Why learn advanced sciences and math? What's the point of Calculus. When's the last time you used Calculus in a daily situation outside of whatever your profession is? Does it make you smarter? Does it allow you to understand and analyze on a broader level? You live in one of the most ethnically diverse countries which is probably why it is one of the most successful countries of all times. Being able to successfully communicate with those you share a country with is important and English doesn't cut it all the time. No matter how much you want everyone in this country to only speak English to you, it's not going to happen.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I have to agree with the idea that Americans should strive to be bilingual at the very least. Regardless of the choice of second language (and of course it should always be a personal choice), being bilingual widens the horizons and presents more opportunities. There's no downside to learning another language.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Alot of people claim this but I have yet to see any real evidence of it other then discussion about it amongst a group of friends. Sounds like alot of anecdotal evidence and very little proof. Saying that an area only has Spanish signs isn't exactly outrageous. Have you been to the ethnically focused areas in the many urban areas in this country. There's almost always a Chinatown, a Little Tokyo or Japan Town, a Korea Town, a Little Italy, etc. This is not some new phenomenon just like how a mass influx of immigrants also creates the illusion that those people aren't adapting to our society. It takes time for assimilation to occur and most of the people whining about it on P&N basically look at it on a micro scale time-line.

As to the OP's topic, nowhere did Obama say that we should all learn Spanish and that's the point that the OP was trying to imply.

I was taking issue with the OP there in what it seemed he was implying. However, these places do exist, mainly in the south of Florida and in California. I used to work for a company doing tech support for *hospitals* and it was near impossible to get a *fluent* English speaker on the line at times. I fear if I was in those areas I wouldn't be able to get adequate medical care if I was injured. Again, bilingualism, etc is great, but English should be a priority for everyone.

As an example, take for instance an area not too far from my hometown. Bayou La Batre wasn't just a town featured in Forrest Gump. It is a community that is centered around the seafood industry, but what most people don't tell you is that after the Vietnam war, there was an influx of immigrants to that area of South Vietnamese. Hardly any of them spoke english. However, if you go there today you will find that they pushed extremely hard for their children and even themselves to speak English. They still speak their native language most of the time when speaking to each other, but if you walked up and started speaking with them you'd never know English was not their primary language. Keep in mind this is about 1/3 of the current community down there. Heck, I'd have learned their language myself as I found their culture (and food, I won't lie) fascinating. I just didn't have anyone with the time or skill to teach me when I was in HS near that area.

It isn't impossible for English to be successfully taught to immigrants. We shouldn't be throwing in the towel and accepting that we should become a nation without a primary common language.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RichardE
[
That comment is going to go over like a fart in church here in Oklahoma and places like Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, etc....

Maybe because they are thinking he was talking about sexual preferences?

Otherwise, I can't imagine why people would flaunt lack of capability as a desired quality

It isn't about lack of capability. It will be perceived as he is saying we should give in to people who immigrate here, either legally or illegally, and refuse to learn the primary language of the country.

I doubt you have to deal with it much in Connecticut but around here, Tulsa Oklahoma, there are entire areas of the city that have been overrun with mostly illegal Mexicans where you will find very little if any English spoken. Everywhere you look in those areas the business signs are all in Spanish and they have even been demanding that the city replace the street signs with signs that are in Spanish.

Think about that for a second....a group of illegal immigrants settle into a city and then turn areas of it into a blighted hell hole where even the police fear to tread and then have the nerve to demand the city accommodate the fact that they can't speak the native language and want street signs in their native tongue.

People in the areas being overrun by illegals have had enough and there is about to be a very strong backlash against them and against the politicians who refuse to do anything about the illegal immigration problem.

Did you listen to the Audio? He's talking about a) English as a second language courses b) extra classes to help them learn English. c) Ensure that Spanish speaking children have a good grasp of English before putting them into full English immersion.

What exactly is wrong with that? Or would you rather immigrants dropping out of school because they do not have the tools to learn?

I'm 100% behind immigrants learning English. The problem is that many refuse to. Unless Obama is going to mandate that they must learn English then everything he is saying is pie in the sky dreaming.

For example there are a couple of schools here that have 100% Spanish speaking classes, no English at all. None. Why? Because the parents of the children did not want their children to be forced to learn English. I think we can all agree that is stupid and is a hindrance to the children, but there are many Mexican families, at least around here, that refuse to learn English as a matter of stubbornness and pride. The schools system tried to do what Obama is suggesting and all that caused was protests by the Latino community here claiming that the school system was racist.

I think you underestimate the stubbornness of many of the illegal Mexicans. It has never made sense to me that they fled Mexico for whatever reason and came here in hopes of a better life, but once they arrive they turn the area they settle into a version of Mexico and refuse to assimilate.

Maybe they aren't like that everywhere, but the ones we have here are that way. I have friends in Texas, Arkansas, Kansas and Colorado who have told me it is exactly the same way where they live.

Of course there are going to be issues. There are still major issues in the American education system such as the drop out rate for blacks in urban environments. All he is saying there is that the tools should be available for these people to learn English. I am truly lost on how everyone twisted these words besides being offended at "people should know more than one language" like that is some sort of attack against you for whatever reason just because you didn't bother to learn more than one.

Just because you provide someone with tools doesn't mean they are going to be willing to use them. Unless learning English is mandated for immigrants nothing will change.

Hell there have been several Naturalization Ceremonies here that were held entirely in Spanish. If that isn't fucked up then I don't know what is.

You can't "force" someone to learn another language though. It really is impossible. If you ever learned a second language you know that it something you have to put alot of effort and time into, especially as you get older. Spanish and French were easy for me to learn as I did when I was a child, Italian is hard even though its Latin base and mandarin is even harder because I am older now.

You guys are sort of going through the same thing Canada already has. In Canada if you live anywhere remote on the east coast chances are you will have to deal with people in French daily. The Canadian government offers French immersion programs that allows Canadians to learn French as a child, and you can continue this process. All the while the French want to separate from Canada. At the same time, people in Quebec and the eastern coasts can either just keep French and only work in Quebec/East coasts/Europe or learn English and be able to move around. The people in the Southern States can either learn Spanish, or move, or get a higher education to work above minimum wage jobs where you don't really have to deal with Spanish.

The Mexicans or people who know Spanish primarily will learn English if is offered. Sorry if I got off topic here, the point is you can't force someone to learn a language. They have to do it willingly. Offering the tools to learn English at least starts a process where Spanish children can learn English with no effort from there parents involved. (Which makes it more likely for them to "allow" it.

Some people you can do nothing to help, but you should help the ones who want to better themselves.

Some of the French want to separate from Canada. They have never been the majority though.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
I was taking issue with the OP there in what it seemed he was implying. However, these places do exist, mainly in the south of Florida and in California. I used to work for a company doing tech support for *hospitals* and it was near impossible to get a *fluent* English speaker on the line at times. I fear if I was in those areas I wouldn't be able to get adequate medical care if I was injured. Again, bilingualism, etc is great, but English should be a priority for everyone.

As an example, take for instance an area not too far from my hometown. Bayou La Batre wasn't just a town featured in Forrest Gump. It is a community that is centered around the seafood industry, but what most people don't tell you is that after the Vietnam war, there was an influx of immigrants to that area of South Vietnamese. Hardly any of them spoke english. However, if you go there today you will find that they pushed extremely hard for their children and even themselves to speak English. They still speak their native language most of the time when speaking to each other, but if you walked up and started speaking with them you'd never know English was not their primary language. Keep in mind this is about 1/3 of the current community down there. Heck, I'd have learned their language myself as I found their culture (and food, I won't lie) fascinating. I just didn't have anyone with the time or skill to teach me when I was in HS near that area.

It isn't impossible for English to be successfully taught to immigrants. We shouldn't be throwing in the towel and accepting that we should become a nation without a primary common language.

I've lived in California for all my life and have traveled abroad extensively throughout the US. The reason I claimed that alot of the stories I hear are anecdotal is because I've lived in and currently live in areas that are heavy with Hispanic people. Almost all of them seem to speak English fine with me and even the signs that are in Spanish will often times have English underneath or nearby. I have yet to encounter an entire city that's unwilling to speak English and most of the kids I run into will talk to me in English. They may have a bit of an accent but that's about it.

Regarding your last sentence, I'm not saying that people shouldn't learn English. I believe that learning English is imperative for living in the US but it doesn't mean that children shouldn't be provided the opportunities to learn new languages. As a second generation American, the first language that my parents taught me was Chinese. I subsequently learned English from them and at school. I also took 18 years worth of Chinese school. Looking back, I am extremely grateful that my parents pushed me to learn so much even though I was probably a major brat about it. It's definitely helped me in my professional life along with my social life.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
----Snip the awful quote job :p ----
Some of the French want to separate from Canada. They have never been the majority though.

Yeah, thats true, I'm sure not all Mexicans expect you to conform to there society either ;)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
People who are multi lingual are less rigid in their thinking because they can see that how you think in one language colors meaning in particular ways. Thus they tend to be less fanatical or myopic and less conservative, in general. Similarly, those who have lived in other cultures get their eyes opened also in many new ways. Humanity is just learning to think.

I agree totally with the first sentence. It's quite surprising how other languages view things. On the surface it all just seems to be just a different set of sounds used to Communicate, but it's a far deeper difference than that. Language goes beyond sounds, but also incorporates Philosophy, World view, and Art.