Obama Says Economic Stimulus Plan Worked as Intended

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: senseamp
Companies employ people years in advance, why would anyone take what that illiterate ignoramus troll BobberFett says at face value?
You think when a company staffs a project that takes months and years to complete, they don't consider what effect stimulus money is going to have on demand on their products? You'd have to be a complete moron to actually believe that.

So because of the stimulus money we have record low unemployment..... thanks senseamp.

Where did I say that? Are you illiterate like BoberFett?

So with all the stimulus money in the pipeline unemployment is dropping because companies are gearing up?

Where did I say that? What is it with right wingers and reading? Unemployment is lower relative to where it would have been if companies were not gearing up. Government inaction would mean companies would be firing more people and investing less in future projects.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It figures that you see no correlation, it's the liberal in you.

Correlation =/= causation. But that's probably way over your head.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: BoberFett
You can parade your little chart, but you don't know what it would be like without a stimulus, I can only tell you that companies are factoring it into their future demand expectations, and would be cutting more jobs if there was no expected stimulus money coming online in the next couple years.

Corporations don't employ people years in advance. They'll increase headcount when the stimulus hits, not a moment before. You've never had a job other than political fluffer, have you?

Companies don't employ people years in advance, but stock does go up in response to greater expected revenues in the future. Since stock is the primary way in which companies finance expansion, new hiring, etc, there could most certainly be an increase in hiring coming from greater funds being available to business due to stock price increases, etc.. etc.

So how's that stock market doing?

If you count from the exact date that the stimulus was signed until today it's up about 10%, why?

How about since election day?

And lets check the performance of the stock market from when the Republicans took it over on January 20th 2001, to when they lost it on January 20th 2009?

DJIA, inflation adjusted, 1/20/01: 12,905
DJIA, inflation adjusted, 1/20/09: 7,949
Total loss: 38.5% EDIT: That's a net loss of somewhere around $5 trillion in wealth. (corrected math, hit the wrong button)

Anyone who's not stupid would realize that my post was meant to show how Boberfett was grossly oversimplifying the way in which businesses operate by saying that the stimulus could create no jobs until the companies actually got a dollar in the bank, and you're attempting to grossly oversimplify the effects of government on the stock market because you're stupid.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

Where did I say that? What is it with right wingers and reading? Unemployment is lower relative to where it would have been if companies were not gearing up. Government inaction would mean companies would be firing more people and investing less in future projects.

So this must be part of the 3.5million saved or created jobs, fuzzy math FTW.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You can parade your little chart, but you don't know what it would be like without a stimulus, I can only tell you that companies are factoring it into their future demand expectations, and would be cutting more jobs if there was no expected stimulus money coming online in the next couple years.

Corporations don't employ people years in advance. They'll increase headcount when the stimulus hits, not a moment before. You've never had a job other than political fluffer, have you?

Companies don't employ people years in advance, but stock does go up in response to greater expected revenues in the future. Since stock is the primary way in which companies finance expansion, new hiring, etc, there could most certainly be an increase in hiring coming from greater funds being available to business due to stock price increases, etc.. etc.

So how's that stock market doing?

If you count from the exact date that the stimulus was signed until today it's up about 10%, why?

And on it's way back down. I guess they ran out of Koolaid, and people are realizing they've been scammed.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Companies employ people years in advance, why would anyone take what that illiterate ignoramus troll BobberFett says at face value?
You think when a company staffs a project that takes months and years to complete, they don't consider what effect stimulus money is going to have on demand on their products? You'd have to be a complete moron to actually believe that.

So because of the stimulus money we have record low unemployment..... thanks senseamp.

So with all the stimulus money in the pipeline unemployment is dropping because companies are gearing up?

404 Proof Not Found

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

And on it's way back down. I guess they ran out of Koolaid, and people are realizing they've been scammed.

Hahaha, proving your point is a lot easier when you invent the future to fit your ideology, huh?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans really need to STFU. They created their mess, and they have no solutions to fix it except bash Obama.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Republicans really need to STFU. Politicians created their mess, and they have no solutions to fix it except bash Obama.

*fixed

Blaming a single party is somewhat ignorant. Both parties are to blame for this mess. I am sure this outcome is from more than just 8 years, probably more like 30 years or so.

Bush did cause some of this mess, but blaming the entire thing on them is wrong. Obama did try to help the economy with the Stimulous which he thought would fix it. As of now it looks like the Stimulous failed with the High unemployment and whatnot.

Now when a politician claims one of his bills was a success when in reality it failed, then he deserves to be bashed.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
9% of the stimulus money has been spent. The plan was designed to take effect over 2 years, not 4 months. We should know if it's having an effect by March next year.

Looks like most of the Republicans on this board are prematurely declaring victory, which leads me to two thoughts...

1.) You guys really like declaring victory as quickly as possible, sorta reminds me of "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq...
2.) I hope you guys aren't this premature in bed...

Unemployment also lags behind other economic indicators. For now it appears the banking market has stabilized, which is a good sign. Factories also had an uptick in over time hours last month, which means that while they are not yet re-hiring, they are producing more.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

You have no real way to measure that.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

So this must be part of the 3.5million saved or created jobs, fuzzy math FTW.

I cant tell if you are more ignorant, or irritating. Either way your useless.

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
Oh jesus. Histrionics much? America's debt to GDP ratio has been way higher before and we were just fine.
Hmmm... really? 1950 perhaps? I wonder what that was all about...

Year -- Gross Debt in Billions -- as % of GDP
1910 -- 2.6 -- n/a
1920 -- 25.9 -- n/a
1930 -- 16.2 -- n/a
1940 -- 43.0 -- 52.4
1950 -- 257.4 -- 94.1
1960 -- 290.5 -- 56.1
1970 -- 380.9 -- 37.6
1980 -- 909.0 -- 33.3
1990 -- 3,206.3 -- 55.9
2000 -- 5,628.7 -- 58.0
2001 -- 5,769.9 -- 57.4
2002 -- 6,198.4 -- 59.7
2003 -- 6,760.0 -- 62.5
2004 -- 7,354.7 -- 64.0
2005 -- 7,905.3 -- 64.6
2006 -- 8,451.4 -- 64.9
2007 -- 8,950.7 -- 65.5
2008 -- 9,985.8 -- 70.2
2009 -- (est.) 12,867.5 -- 90.4
2010 -- (est.) 14,456.3 -- 98.1
2011 -- (est.) 15,673.9 -- 101.1
2012 -- (est.) 16,565.7 -- 100.6
2013 -- (est.) 17,440.2 -- 99.7
2014 -- (est.) 18,350.0 -- 99.9

What happened in 1950 to cut the debt, as a % of GDP, nearly in half, by 1960?

Well, for one, it was one of the smallest increases in total Federal debt (spending) during any decade in the last century. Imagine that. I wonder why Obama's team would ignore that small fact and decide to spend money like it's going out of style. hmm...

Oh yeah, that's right, the Democrats have 30 years worth of pet projects and wet dreams to cash in on as fast as humanly possible.

WOOPS!

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Carmen813
9% of the stimulus money has been spent. The plan was designed to take effect over 2 years, not 4 months. We should know if it's having an effect by March next year.

Looks like most of the Republicans on this board are prematurely declaring victory, which leads me to two thoughts...

1.) You guys really like declaring victory as quickly as possible, sorta reminds me of "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq...
2.) I hope you guys aren't this premature in bed...

Unemployment also lags behind other economic indicators. For now it appears the banking market has stabilized, which is a good sign. Factories also had an uptick in over time hours last month, which means that while they are not yet re-hiring, they are producing more.
Actually I'm pretty sure it was Obama's premature declaration of victory that started this mess. Nobody really knows if the thing worked or not, it's in the process of working or not. We shall see later.

edit: Try to not ridicule yourself so hard next time. Also I do fine in bed, thanks for wondering.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Mccain totally owned Obamas on his stimulus plan on yesterdays meet the press. then SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER (D-NY) came on and was nothing but lip service, all i heard was but, but ,but, but.....

Mccains point was that the money should have been used to help small business instead of bailing out "to big to fail" companies, he also blasted all the stupid pet projects the money is being spent on and how most of the money has been used to keep local governments funded.

Link to shows transcript.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Republicans really need to STFU. They created their mess, and they have no solutions to fix it except bash Obama.

god you are a tool. BOTH parties did this to our country. is fact to hard for you to swallow?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It's so sad that the mesiah's plan is failing so terribly that all his flock of supporters can do is step up the personal attack language to defend him.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Edit: Crud, I saw I thought this was a different thread...I saw economy and assumed I was in the right one.

Anyway, didn't Obama just come out in the last few days and say we need patience and that the stimulus will take months and/or years to work?

But...but...back when he first came into office, he said that we needed the stimulus now in order to prevent 9% unemployment!

The Spin Meter is off the charts.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
It's so sad that the mesiah's plan is failing so terribly that all his flock of supporters can do is step up the personal attack language to defend him.

It's not really any different to the eight years of circle-jerking to the Bush admin that people did. Results don't matter to the partisan hack.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Strk

It's not really any different to the eight years of circle-jerking to the Bush admin that people did. Results don't matter to the partisan hack.

its a whole lot different, the two aren't even close at all.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: Strk

its a whole lot different, the two aren't even close at all.

No, it's pretty close. Nothing has changed except who is in charge. 2000-2008 the Republicans defended every action by Dear Leader and the Democrats attacked everything up to and including what Bush ate for lunch. Now the roles have changed but the dialogue is all the same, and let me tell you, this play sucks. I want my money back.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
We keep hearing about how long the process takes, how little of the money has been spent.. but when it was being passed, it needed to be passed NOW NOW NOW without a MOMENT to spare or the entire economy would collapse. No time to review the bill or READ the bill or have any idea whats IN the bill. PASS IT PASS IT PASS IT! Now wait.. 2 years.. 4 years.. 8 years?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Who wrote, and passed, the budgets? Dumbass.