Obama Routs The Clinton Machine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
Oh boy, lets all jump on the Obama Band Wagon now :roll:

I honestly hope you Obama supporters are choosing from the lesser of two evils and not because you really think he's the golden candidate.

really? what gives you that unique insight into the souls of thousands of voters?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I honestly hope you Obama supporters are choosing from the lesser of two evils and not because you really think he's the golden candidate.
Unfortunately, the Democrats who actually looked qualified to be president have all been bumped out of the race early. Once again, like every presidential race since I was old enough to vote, it's the lesser of evils.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481

really? what gives you that unique insight into the souls of thousands of voters?

Most people in my age group (18 to lets say 25) wouldn't be voting for Obama we're he not black and over-zealously pedigreed as the country's savior- and that's solely his fan base on the democratic side.

Obama doesn't represent much of anything to me. Sure his speech writers make him sound great, but he truly is the "tabla rasa" or blank slate of this election. I don't feel like he's his own person, he's merely just a finished product of the Democratic convention and thereafter.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster

I'm starting to think you're on the Clinton payroll, loki.

I don't think I really pimp myself out for Hillary... I don't think I've ever started a pro-Hill thread or anything.

there just seems to be a double standard.

when Hillary Clinton acts like a politician, people jump down her throat.
when Barak Obama acts like a politician, people look the other way.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000

Most people in my age group (18 to lets say 25) wouldn't be voting for Obama we're he not black and over-zealously pedigreed as the country's savior- and that's solely his fan base on the democratic side.

Obama doesn't represent much of anything to me. Sure his speech writers make him sound great, but he truly is the "tabla rasa" or blank slate of this election. I don't feel like he's his own person, he's merely just a finished product of the Democratic convention and thereafter.

if i had to choose among clinton, edwards and obama regardless of race, i'd choose obama.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: aidanjm
you really need to expand on these points, provide plenty of detail and links, and explain exactly what was so ethically questionable in each case. it seems like a lot of hot air to me.
How about the Hillary camp holding a press conference to say that they aren?t going to release details about Obama?s drug use.

?We know Obama had a drug problem as a teen, but we aren?t going to talk about it.? :wink wink:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
1. Clinton is running a campaign. It's her job to play down the loss in SC. Pointing out that a prior black pres candidate also carried SC multiple times implies the overwhelming support of the black electorate is the main reason for the victory. With Obama getting 83% of the black vote in SC, it's hard to argue that it wasn't a very prominent factor.

2. Screaming "race card" every time someone makes an observation about race as it pertains to the nomination is getting annoying. Johnny Cochran was said to have played the race card in the OJ trial because he implied that the reason OJ was on trial was because he was black, and that the police were actively trying to convict him because of his race. That is playing the race card. Observing that blacks for for Obama in large numbers does not make one racist nor equal playing the race card. Everyone is aware Obama is black. Everyone has considered the possible effect of his being black would have in the general election. How exactly is anything the Clinton's have said in their campaign about Obama's race, whether directly or by implication, affected any voter's position on Obama?

3. That was a hell of a victory speech.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Originally posted by: SViscusi
It's too bad Clinton is more interested in being president than in helping her party, or the country.

let me guess, helping her party or country would involve politely stepping aside for Obama?

How about just running a clean campaign. No disenfranchising voters, no southern strategy, no robo calls, no lying campaign fliers, none of that rovian bs that we democrats have fought against for the past 8 years. How about acting like an adult?

There is absolutely no point in just changing parties if the tactics are going to be the same.

how is Obama's campaign any "cleaner" than Clinton's? it appears to me Obama's supporters have engaged in equally questionable behavior, however for some reason they maintain a "holier than thou" attitude.
Let's see Obama's campaign hasn't made any robo calls, they also havn't filed any lawsuits to get voting places closed after they had agreed to them. They haven't threatened to primary any elected official who didn't support them, they didn't try and close doors early in Nevada, there were no Obama only tables in Nevada, they've never dismissed the results of a state because they got smoked by 28%, they've never misrepresented anyones record on the issue of choice. They haven't done any of those things, and neither has Edwards, only Clinton.

you really need to expand on these points, provide plenty of detail and links, and explain exactly what was so ethically questionable in each case. it seems like a lot of hot air to me.

I'm not digging thru weeks worth of news reports, but if you need to be explained what was so unethical about them then that is absolutely sad.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
According to a poll cited by CNN's Political Ticker, of the Democrats who said Bill Clinton's campaigning for Hillary affected their vote, 62% voted for Obama (48%) or Edwards (14%). Let's hope Bill keeps up the good work!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
there just seems to be a double standard.

when Hillary Clinton acts like a politician, people jump down her throat.
when Barak Obama acts like a politician, people look the other way.

Well, perhaps she needs to quit playing the "woman" victim card, while at the same time wanting to be seen (and treated) as a man? Or trying to claim 8 years "experience" as first lady whilst disavowing all the scandal and shenanigan that happened during that time, much of it with her fingerprints all over it.

Obama has exposed the flaws in her character to a T. A woman who breaks down in tears when the heat gets turned up isn't fit to run, let alone become POTUS.

The fact of the matter is that, politics aside, it comes down to character. She has none, and voters are starting to realize it. In droves.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
According to a poll cited by CNN's Political Ticker, of the Democrats who said Bill Clinton's campaigning for Hillary affected their vote, 62% voted for Obama (48%) or Edwards (14%). Let's hope Bill keeps up the good work!

:thumbsup: :laugh:

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: M0RPH
LOL... so you're labeling articles with your own titles now, eh? Talk about spin. Why don't you show us the exact quotes with the angry words from Bill Clinton.

Clinton's ridiculous comments attempting to compare Jesse Jackson to Obama are right in the damn article I linked. Do more reading, and less foaming at the mouth.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
80something percent of blacks voted for Obama. Gee, I wonder if the fact that Obama is black has anything to do with that number being so high? Nah, can't be. :roll:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: M0RPH
80something percent of blacks voted for Obama. Gee, I wonder if the fact that Obama is black has anything to do with that number being so high? Nah, can't be. :roll:

omg, you're such a racist.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Obama has exposed the flaws in her character to a T. A woman who breaks down in tears when the heat gets turned up isn't fit to run, let alone become POTUS.
Display of emotion does not disqualify any man or woman from the presidency. It's not like she had some terrible ranting breakdown; what I saw was a beautifully executed "humanizing moment" that skillfully segued into a heartfelt critique of her political competitors. It couldn't have been better scripted or directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

The fact of the matter is that, politics aside, it comes down to character. She has none, and voters are starting to realize it. In droves.
A rare instance in which we completely agree.

edit: readability

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Display of emotion does not disqualify any man or woman from the presidency. It's not like she had some terrible ranting breakdown; what I saw was a beautifully executed "humanizing moment" that skillfully segued into a heartfelt critique of her political competitors. It couldn't have been better scripted or directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Yeah, of course it was all scripted. But please don't equate Clinton operatives with Coppola. What an insult...to FFC! ;)

Veramocor

Mar 2, 2004
I was too young to vote for Clinton in 1992 and 96, but would have. I voted for Hillary in NY in 2000 (out of state for her reelection). And I had been supporting her over Obama until recently. But after seeing Bill Clinton and his clear race dividing antics and her support of those tactics I just can't support her. I'm not even sure I could support her in a general election now.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Yeah, of course it was all scripted. But please don't equate Clinton operatives with Coppola. What an insult...to FFC! ;)
I only say they executed this one moment beautifully - and apparently very effectively. It was, however, just one moment. Mr. Coppola has an entire career of sublime moments.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
From the ABC blog
Said Bill Clinton today in Columbia, SC: "Jesse Jackson won South Carolina in '84 and '88. Jackson ran a good campaign. And Obama ran a good campaign here."

This was in response to a question about Obama saying it "took two people to beat him." Jackson had not been mentioned.

Boy, I can't understand why anyone would think the Clintons are running a race-baiting campaign to paint Obama as "the black candidate."
I think Bill really went over the edge with that comment.

Jesse Jackson does not exactly have a stellar reputation outside the black community.

This could help us Republicans. If Bill keeps making these types of comments he might piss off enough blacks for them to stay home on election day. Also the Republican candidate might look at having JC Watts and Condi Rice running around campaigning for him in black areas to try and capture some of that vote themselves.

Hell... Mitt Romney can stand up in front of a black audience and say "I'm a Mormon, I know what it is like to be discriminated against by people who think you are different than them."

Bullcrap, as a mormon you count not go to heaven if you were black until recently.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Bill's remarks were amazingly inept, if he was advised to say that crap, and he fell for it he's horribly politically inept, it just seems so out of character for him.

The primaries are kicking ass, I love this stuff :heart:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Mitt Romney can stand up in front of a black audience and say "I'm a Mormon, I know what it is like to be discriminated against by people who think you are different than them."

He'd have to stop taking a pass on black-sponsored events, as recently parodied on The Daily Show. Your posts often reflect your love of the debater's tricks, PJ, they don't always work.