Obama quits his Church...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Robor
No. You called homosexuality a 'sin' in another thread. You used your faith to defend that belief. Why is the bigotry preached in another church different than the bigotry preached in yours?

It's not. You're both wrong.

Edit: I forgot to say YOU'RE A HYPOCRITICAL TOOL again.

Believing the Bible says something is a sin is not bigotry.

Its the WORST form of bigotry.

Jesus would not approve.

And you know this how?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
1) Context
2) You first...I couldn't find that line in hours of searching.

1- Watched the video. I've seen it before and it doesn't change a thing. That whoel sermon is nothing but race bating and Bush bashing.
2 - These 2 videos are the best you are going to get.

Video 1 - Its at about 40 seconds.
Video 2 - Defending his remarks

Still no context of original statement. Second video seems to somewhat support the need of context of the first statement. Notice the word "capable" being used when discussing the statement. That doesn't mean the original statement was used in a similar fashion, but if it was the allegation against Wright is flat out wrong.

Context.

You cry context but context did not clear anything up for the "God Damn America" quote either.

Maybe not for you. He essentially said the same thing Falwell and others said about 9/11. Only exception being Wright didn't blame Homosexuals.

I never defended Fallwell, but you just proved my point. Thanks.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
1) Context

1- Watched the video. I've seen it before and it doesn't change a thing. That whoel sermon is nothing but race bating and Bush bashing.

Still no context of original statement. Second video seems to somewhat support the need of context of the first statement. Notice the word "capable" being used when discussing the statement. That doesn't mean the original statement was used in a similar fashion, but if it was the allegation against Wright is flat out wrong.

Context.

You cry context but context did not clear anything up for the "God Damn America" quote either.

Maybe not for you. He essentially said the same thing Falwell and others said about 9/11. Only exception being Wright didn't blame Homosexuals.

So, you find Fallwell's comments distasteful?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor
No. You called homosexuality a 'sin' in another thread. You used your faith to defend that belief. Why is the bigotry preached in another church different than the bigotry preached in yours?

It's not. You're both wrong.

Edit: I forgot to say YOU'RE A HYPOCRITICAL TOOL again.

Believing the Bible says something is a sin is not bigotry.

Its the WORST form of bigotry.

Jesus would not approve.

And you know this how?

Because I'm Christan too. And because I try to understand what it was like to be Jesus and to love everyone, including his enemies.

You don't do that.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Because I'm Christan too. And because I try to understand what it was like to be Jesus and to love everyone, including his enemies.

You don't do that.

Sure I do. I know pleanty of people who sin, and I love them too. I sin myself, and people love me. This has nothing to do with that.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

You don't do that.

Sure I do. I know pleanty of people who sin, and I love them too. I sin myself, and people love me. This has nothing to do with that.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

You don't do that.

Blaming homosexuals for 9/11? Absolutely.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
1) Context

Context.

What point would that be?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

You don't do that.

yes it does, and it doesn't surprise me at all that you do not understand.

sorry this is a whole different thread you would like to start.

And I see you are busy defending your bigot beliefs to others so I'm not taking it up with you.

I'm done for the night.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

You don't do that.

And I see you are busy defending your bigot beliefs to others so I'm not taking it up with you.

I'm done for the night.

Oh the irony. Claiming you love everyone then calling some bigots. I get it.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

You don't do that.

hahhaa.... You keep defining things in a manner that doesn't force you to come out and fully state your opinion...

Dance in that middle ground - dance, dance.....

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

You don't do that.

hahhaa.... You keep defining things in a manner that doesn't force you to come out and fully state your opinion...

Dance in that middle ground - dance, dance.....

Is there something I'm not answering? You asked the question and I answered it.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
I still maintain that there was nothing wrong with what Wright said. Obviously it was being used as a distraction and Obama did the right thing in removing that distraction. Perhaps the issues will be discussed now?....but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

There isn't much to be discussed when you have someone who absolutely cannot represent my values or views in any capacity.

Are you one of those people who think racism can only be inflicted by white people?

I think it's great that he quit his church! Now that his personal views are being scrutinized, see what he does? He doesnt stand by his people. Why would he stand by me or the country? Once he has something that could stop him in his desire for ultimate power, he denounces it. Go figure.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

You don't do that.

I'm done for the night.

Oh the irony. Claiming you love everyone then calling some bigots. I get it.
you are still deserving of love, even though you have bigoted beliefs.

But everyone has bigoted beliefs. The real problem is when you embrace those beliefs.

edit: I'm gonna try and say something on topic for once!

Obama can't win when it comes to his church. I think by distancing himself now he is trying to make it a non-issue come November.

I doubt that is gonna work. Nothing else seems to stick to him so I think the GOP will start throwing this out in everyone's face. I do question the effectiveness of bashing Obama's Christian church. I guess the religious right won't have a problem with it.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Corbett, care to respond to my previous post or are you just going to cut and run?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I have to say it...

This guy is the best the Democrats can offer? A guy that freaking quits his church to get elected?

I just have to wonder if the Dems even want to win. First Kerry and now Obama? This election is practically gift-wrapped for the Dems (as was '04), and they still may blow it.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I have to say it...

This guy is the best the Democrats can offer? A guy that freaking quits his church to get elected?

I just have to wonder if the Dems even want to win. First Kerry and now Obama? This election is practically gift-wrapped for the Dems (as was '04), and they still may blow it.

Maybe both sides don?t want it after things have been so screwed up, the war is going to be a mess to clean up. I think whichever party does win this election will loose more four years from now.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

How does that make you any different than me? I believe gays are still deserving of love, even though they participate in homosexual actions.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000

How does that make you any different than me? I believe gays are still deserving of love, even though they participate in homosexual actions.

But, I thought that them GETTING love is what people have a problem with? :p