Obama quits his Church...

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
So lets get this straight. First Obama defends Wrights hateful language by trying to paint Wright as some sort of "crazy uncle". He then goes on to say he was never in the Church when any of these types of sermons were preached. Then, months later, Wright expresses more hateful language and Obama finally disowns him, but says the Church he is from is great and their new pastor is great. Then more racist comments come out of Obama's church and now he has dropped his membership to the church.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...bama.church/index.html

Sen. Barack Obama said Saturday that he has resigned from the church where controversial sermons by his former pastor and other ministers created political headaches for his campaign.

Sen. Barack Obama said he was resigning from the church "with some sadness."

"We don't want to have to answer for everything that's stated in the church," the Democratic front-runner said. "We also don't want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes."

Obama said he was resigning "with some sadness."

"This is not a decision I come to lightly," he said. Watch Obama discuss departure »

The resignation comes days after the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a visiting Catholic priest, mocked Obama's Democratic rival during a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, Illinois.

In the sermon, Pfleger wipes his eyes with a handkerchief and suggests that Sen. Hillary Clinton wept because she thought that as a white person and the wife of a former president, she was entitled to the presidency.

Pfleger is a Catholic priest at St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church on Chicago's southwest side. He is also a friend of Trinity's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, from whom Obama distanced himself in April. Watch Pfleger mock Clinton »

Obama said the Pfleger controversy made it clear that, as long as he remained a member of the Trinity congregation, remarks from the pulpit would be "imputed" to him, even if they conflicted with his personal views.

Don't Miss
Priest apologizes for mocking Clinton
Obama said he and his wife, Michelle, began discussing a departure from the church after Wright spoke at the National Press Club on April 28.

During the appearance, Wright said that Obama had "distanced" himself the fiery pastor for political reasons.

Wright, Obama's minister for about 20 years, drew unwanted attention for the campaign when videos of his fiery sermons surfaced.

In the speeches, Wright suggested that the U.S. government may be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community and equated some American wartime activities to terrorism.

Obama has said he was not present for the controversial sermons by Wright or Pfleger.

His campaign condemned Pfleger's comments.

"That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause," he said in a statement Thursday.

Obama said he and his wife had discussed and prayed on the issue with Trinity's senior pastor, the Rev. Otis Moss, and hoped that the decision would withdraw Trinity from the spotlight.

"Though we are saddened by the news, we understand that it is a personal decision," Moss said in a statement Saturday. "We will continue to lift them in prayer and wish them the best as former members of our Trinity community,"

Some Obama supporters, including U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler of Florida, said that disconnecting from the church signaled a chance for the campaign to move on.

"I think it bodes well for us in the general election that we can put whatever issues there were behind us in respect to the church," Wexler

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
weird, it seems like it was just two months ago that Obama said "Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety."

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Nice try Obama, but Wright and Pfleger are going to be hung around your neck this fall. Hope you and your wife enjoyed those racist sermons because us bitter white folk sure don't like the company you keep.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I still maintain that there was nothing wrong with what Wright said. Obviously it was being used as a distraction and Obama did the right thing in removing that distraction. Perhaps the issues will be discussed now?....but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
So how many years have you attended yours?

About 10 years.

I still maintain that there was nothing wrong with what Wright said.

I see. So then you agree that the American government inject black people with AIDS. Good to know.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

17 years, give-or-take the 4 years I was living in PA but spending holidays in NJ... not sure what it has to do with anything, though.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So what exactly was "racist" about what fleger said? Other than one white guy saying Hillary is white. Its was dumb, inappropriate and sexist, but kinda funny too. If that shit qualifies for racist, the stuff I listen to on Howard Stern is 1000000000x more racist.

Fri's show: Wack Pack Family Feud- Wendy the Retard's family vs Daniel Carver's KKK family
Stern: Question #1 [racist catagory]: What is an insulting name to call a black person? Ding!.. Carver family? "Nicca?" Ding! that was the #1 answer! KKK family has control of the board...

Question #2 [retard category]: Name a job a retarded person can do? Ding!...Retard Family? "i love you?" Bzzzzz. No that answer was retarded. Carver family? "McDonald's?" Ding Carver family plays again!

That shit was hilarious.. all these uptight politically correct people need to get over themselves. I thought conservatives hated when liberals were being uptight politically correct? Pot. Kettle.
Hey I hear Rachel Ray is a terrorist bc she wears a scarf...

BTW..I heard Stern will be playing the Mexican Delivery Boy game on Monday. Better get out your pitchforks now.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

17 years, give-or-take the 4 years I was living in PA but spending holidays in NJ... not sure what it has to do with anything, though.

Question was meant for Corbet, I just assumed I was second Post. ;)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett

About 10 years.

I still maintain that there was nothing wrong with what Wright said.

I see. So then you agree that the American government inject black people with AIDS. Good to know.

I'd like to see the context of the Injection comment.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Hafen
So what exactly was "racist" about what fleger said? Other than one white guy saying Hillary is white. Its was dumb, inappropriate and sexist, but kinda funny too. If that shit qualifies for racist, the stuff I listen to on Howard Stern is 1000000000x more racist.

I don't think it was racist... more like race baiting, implying that Hillary was somehow offended that a black man would dare to run against her, and the crowd seemed to be eating it up.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
It would be so awesome if McCain were to bring this up in a GE debate. It'd be like the biggest smackdown!

Barack Hussein Obama bringing change to America... LMAO!

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001

So it's okay to be sexist because Hillary is a b!tch :roll:

You Obamabots make me sick.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I don't think it was racist... more like race baiting, implying that Hillary was somehow offended that a black man would dare to run against her, and the crowd seemed to be eating it up.

I listened to it. The race statements just seemed cursory. The point was Hillary felt entitled, and along came a nobody and "stole" it from her, and now she's crying about it. Delete the "white" and "black" labels and listen again. Still sexist and strange for a church sermon, but clears a pretty low bar for racism.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Like I said, 10 years. Though, I dont know what that has to do with anything.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

What context would it need to be in to be true?

What? That a strong # number of black people believe it to be true? Are you saying they don't?

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
I go to church every week, including if I'm on vacation. Prior to me getting married 11 yrs ago, I was a holiday Catholic so my wife was definitely a positive influence on my life. With that out of the way, let me say to Hafen that you're right...what Pfleger said about Hillary was damn funny if you like sexist humor and my 'racist' sermons comment was directed more at Wright and all the stuff being held onto that will likely be released by the dirt-digging groups in the coming months before the election.

But both preachers styles and content are totally alien to what I'm used to in Catholic masses -- and wholly inappropriate too. And what most other Protestants/Catholics are used to I'm betting which covers about 55 - 60% of the U.S. population right there. I have a problem with a guy who wants to be president that doesn't have the sense to walk out of that relationship years earlier. I wouldn't have that problem if he wasn't running for a high-level public office. Double standard? You betcha...and an important one too.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It seems that the Wrights and Pflegers of the world are more afraid of Obama winning than any Hillary or McCain supporter.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

What? That a strong # number of black people believe it to be true? Are you saying they don't?

I'm confused by your comment. Sandorski is implying that the AIDS comment by Wright was possibly out of context. I'm asking Sandorski what context it would need to be in to be an acceptable comment. I cant think of any.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

So far, every criticism levelled against Wright has had a totally different meaning than what he was accused of saying. So I ask again, what context was such a staement said?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Nothing other than the fact that you're a hypocritical tool.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
So far, every criticism levelled against Wright has had a totally different meaning than what he was accused of saying.

Proof?

So I ask again, what context was such a staement said?

You never asked me directly for context. You said you would like to see the context. So if thats the case, feel free to start searching.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor

Nothing other than the fact that you're a hypocritical tool.

Threadcrap much?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: brencat
I go to church every week, including if I'm on vacation. Prior to me getting married 11 yrs ago, I was a holiday Catholic so my wife was definitely a positive influence on my life. With that out of the way, let me say to Hafen that you're right...what Pfleger said about Hillary was damn funny if you like sexist humor and my 'racist' sermons comment was directed more at Wright and all the stuff being held onto that will likely be released by the dirt-digging groups in the coming months before the election.

But both preachers styles and content are totally alien to what I'm used to in Catholic masses -- and wholly inappropriate too. And what most other Protestants/Catholics are used to I'm betting which covers about 55 - 60% of the U.S. population right there. I have a problem with a guy who wants to be president that doesn't have the sense to walk out of that relationship years earlier. I wouldn't have that problem if he wasn't running for a high-level public office. Double standard? You betcha...and an important one too.

Not one person here has been able to show me what Wright said was racist. Stupid and ignorant perhaps, but I seriously doubt it was racist. Perhaps you can.