Obama plays the race card.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
McCain hasn't brought up the issue of Race. First off, given the past and the players, he doesn't have to, and I think he'd personally be loathe to do so.

That doesn't mean, however, that the whole issue of coded racism in the Repub message is unintentional or that it doesn't exist. It stretches back a very long way, and has been the key to their successful southern strategy from the beginning. Perhaps one of the more interesting descriptive terms is dog whistle politics-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics

A rather wide variety of groups have certain touchstone phrases used to identify each other, the rest of us being largely oblivious to what's going on. It's a way for insiders to communicate, reagardless of the group in question.

Howard Dean's gaffe wrt rebel flags on pickup trucks reveals just how effectively various insiders mislead others as to their true sentiments and aspirations... Dean really didn't understand the hidden implications of that particular display, at all...

There are a variety of other communications that carry messages that most of us can't hear. RR didn't kick off his presidential campaign in Philadelphia Miss extolling States' Rights by accident, nor are references to Law and Order, Welfare Queens, Dependency, or Laziness on the part of any opposing non-white candidate intended to sound the same to different parts of the same audience, at all. If Willie Horton had been white, he'd barely have make a blip on the radar. The same goes for the Rev Wright, as well...

Even as working class whites' sense of victimhood is often reality-based, the redirection of it onto blacks with the vilification of affirmative action &etc has only served to make it more profound. Wealthy whites, I'm sure, have laughed their asses off while convincing working class whites to vote against their own interests through the exploitation of such lingering prejudices and stereotypes...

Demonizing anybody not onboard with the repubs version of the WoT carries racial implications, as well, and the success of the State of Israel has exploited the whole issue of ethnicity quite blatantly. When yesteryear's victims become today's oppressors, we're led to think of them still as victims...

That was one of those points that's so 'subtle' it's difficult to make, but is real and important, so well done with the post.

I predicted a righty would respond with some thoughtless attack about this issue, but scrolled up and saw that prediction had already happened.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Duwelon

What "truth" are you talking about? You've seen these racist ads already? racist picketing calling for him to be lynched? subtle racism in the media?

Probably the same truth that the Repugnican smear machine has a long tradition of dispensing racism and other hate-filled, brutal lies in every recent election. You can start with Karl Rove's handiwork when McShame' was running for President against your Traitor In Chief, and they started a rumor that McShame had fathered an illegitimate Arfican American daughter.

It's only one example, but Since Karl Rove is now working on McShame's campaign, there is an added ironic stench to it. :roll:

Wow. You have some REAL anger issues. Learn to use a proper noun that isn't offensive.

You bet I'm angry. I'm angry because as of 6/20/08, your Traitor In Chief and his gang of criminals has murdered 4,102 American troops he sent to die for his lies and wounded tens of thousands more American troops while he raped the Constitutional rights of American citizens and committed torture and other war crimes and crimes against humanity to further his criminal endeavors.

I'm angry because he squandered trillions of dollars of American taxpayers' money in furtherance of his crimes.

I'm angry because he has demeaned and diminished the integrity of the people of the United States of America in the eyes of our own citizens and the world.

If you're not angry about that, you're certainly not an American, and somewhere along the way, you lost your humanity, too.

As for my grammar, there are no proper nouns in my post, only some very improper nouns, including Repubnican and McShame. If you got the meaning, they were as proper as they needed to be... and of course, Karl Rove, which is as improper a noun as his life model, Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's improper noun of a propaganda minister, credited with his use of "The Big Lie:"

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Originally posted by: nick1985

Do you foam at the mouth and smash your keys when you type out replies?

Can you look at yourself in the mirror after posting your bullshit neocon defenses of the indefensible? :roll:

Originally posted by: UberNeuman

Still waiting for that "whitey" video?

One could reasonably assume that it doen't exist when even certifiable wingnut, Michelle Malkin is calling shens.

Where is the purported Michelle Obama ?whitey? video?
By Michelle Malkin ? June 3, 2008 04:27 PM

Many readers are wondering why I have not written a single word about the rumored Michelle Obama ?whitey? video.

Simple: Larry Johnson, the main source of the rumors, is not, not, not to be trusted.

Moreover: The story keeps changing.

First, the rumor-mongers claimed, Obama appeared on tape with Louis Farrakhan. Now, the rumor is that the tape comes from this event where she appeared with Mrs. Farrakhan at a Rainbow/PUSH conference in 2004 (via reader Bill):

First, the rumor-mongers claimed, she said ?whitey? on the tape. Now, the rumor is that she?s saying ?why?d he? (referring to George Bush).

First, the rumor-mongers claimed, the ?bombshell? would be released on Monday. Then it was yesterday. Now, it?s tomorrow.

So, where?s the stupid tape? Maybe The Spitter should check Al Capone?s vault again:

All sorts of buffoons are hyping the story, the effect of which will be to undermine all legitimate criticism of Michelle Obama.

To all of you who keep bugging me about this subject, please stop sending me e-mail. Until and unless anyone actually produces a video, I?m not going to mention it again.

Michelle Malkin right about ANYTHING??? WORLD ENDS!!! FILM AT ELEVEN!!! :laugh:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Right, it's not overt racism...it's a secret code that we all know and we give the old wink and nod too... :roll:

I happen to think this is a bit of projection by the Democrats...

Nope. It sure does exist. There have been numerous studies on the change from old fashioned racism to symbolic racism.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Fern
This was unusual remark for Obama to make. The first I recall him unilaterally interjecting race into the campaign/election.

Something's up. It was done for a purpose; it was no accident.

I, too, have gotten a perception of "pre-emptive" complaints of unfair campaign practices in the last 10 days or so. Mostly it's been from some in the MSM (KO, Dan A etc), now Obama's playing the game - pre-emptively warning of the use of racism against him.

Another tactic/comment from him lately I don't much care for.

Fern

And if Obama were the first to have brought up race, you would have a point. But race long ago became part of this election, even if it wasn't in as blatant a way as those idiot voters in West Virginia did.

Then on the other side of the coin you have people like Spike Lee;

Spike Lee on Obama: There?s ?gonna be a real Chocolate City!?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Hey look, politics as usual.

Only to be outdone by Harvey spouting some pure JP style dick in his mouth US hate garbage.

Yeah, it's only Juine. At least if Hillary hadn't conceeded this wouldn't have started till after the convention.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Butterbean
This is no surprise from Obama. Everyweek he has racists, criminals, terrorsits, radicals pop up in his life and he makes one jive excuse after another (with help from media). Now he tries to accuse others of what he is (Lenin instructed operatives to do so). He's been a typical Alinsky Democrat from the begginning. I saw a quote I like: "Obama's jive talk express - your on the bus or under it."

Duwelon, how's this for an example? You think Butterbean would have described white politician excuses as "jive"? Come on...

This is how I felt upon reading this quote. The OP asks for any proof of race-baiting, and one of his supporters comes in the thread with a clear example: "Obama's jive talk express." Jive talk is a dialect commonly associated with African Americans, starting in the heyday of jazz in the 40s and 50s, and continuing through the funk and soul movement of the 70s. You would never hear a political commentator use the phrase "jive talk" in regards to a white politician.

Some other examples:

Obama was educated at a radical madrassa. This bit of race-baiting fluff helped perpetuate the lie that Obama is a radical Muslim. This race baiting is repeated in rhetoric across internet forums, including this one, where Obama's name is targeted for sounding like Osama, not to mention his middle name of Hussein. Clearly there is a push to make Obama out to be a Muslim, despite his lifelong practice of Christianity. Why? Could it possibly be race baiting on behalf of conservative pundits who can't find a meaningful way to argue with his policy, so they turn to the lowest common denominator of debate, ad hominem attacks?

Honestly, I think people who turn away from talking about race are doing a disservice. Ultimately, race is going to play a factor in this election. Obama has the best odds of any black person yet to be President of the United States. That, in and of itself, is huge, and warrants discussion. Are we going to see blacks voting in record numbers? Are we going to see overt racism, pushed underground by civil rights reforms, pushed back out into the open? Ignoring our country's tumultuous racial history is a mistake; if we do not remember our history, how can we ever expect to learn from it? It helps no one if politicians or commentators feel they must tread on eggshells and tiptoe around the race issue when it clearly is important (don't get me wrong; I'm not saying race is an important factor when voting for President, but we're setting historical precedent here, and as the racists come out of the woodwork to attack the "Hussein Osama radical muslim jive talk express," it's clear that race is important to some people).

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
wait, i'm coming in late here but is the issue being contended whether or not there is racism, subtle or overt, in media coverage or political ads? And people are actually arguing?

somebody call the 3 billy goats gruff!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
There has already been subtle racism. Fox had a flash, for example, referring to his wife as "Obama's Baby Momma".

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
The North Carolina RNC ad didn't play the race card, did it?

Calling Michelle "Obama's baby mama" is totally race neutral, right?

I guess you're right. It's impossible to find anything, even with tons of digging. What a douchebag

Those are pretty weak examples.

To try and pass off the Rev. Wright thing as just racism won't fly. The guy says crazy things. I note that Pflieger (sp?) got the same treatment and he's white.

The 'baby momma" is silly, but a play on Michelle Obama's words when she introduces him.

If these are examples of racism, then the word's meaning has morphed into a critism of a person's own words, instead of simply their skin color and a set of negative stereotypes.

Fern