Obama plays the race card.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
reuters

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) - Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama said on Friday he expects Republicans to highlight the fact that he is black as part of an effort to make voters afraid of him.

"It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy," Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. "We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid.

"They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

He said he was also set for Republicans to say "he's got a feisty wife," in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

"We know the strategy because they've already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn't moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us," he said.

Obama, born to a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, has cast himself as a candidate who can bridge divides within the country, including those involving race.

It has been rare for him to bring up the topic during his presidential bid. In March he gave a widely praised speech on the subject after receiving criticism over racially charged comments by his longtime pastor.

Obama, who faces Republican John McCain in the November election, would be the first black U.S. president.

What a douchebag. Wait, that wasn't racist was it?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Telling the truth makes someone a douchebag - at least to a douchebag it does.

What "truth" are you talking about? You've seen these racist ads already? racist picketing calling for him to be lynched? subtle racism in the media?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
When the opposition doesn't criticize you for being black, you accuse them of planning to criticize you for being black. They look like racists without doing anything.

Yup, playing the race card. How horrible would it be to have a president who wins by playing the race card? How many times will he do it once he is president? If he doesn't get his way, he just accuses the opposition of being a racist and he gets his way. I don't want that.

I don't like McCain or Obama at all, but I think I may have to vote for McCain. It's either vote for McCain, or no one...so hard to decide...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Duwelon

What "truth" are you talking about? You've seen these racist ads already? racist picketing calling for him to be lynched? subtle racism in the media?

You must be joking. Racism doesn't have to look like the KKK, and there has been plenty of subtle and not so subtle racism and bigotry trotted out by the Republican side of this election. You think the "Obama's a radical Muslim" rumor just sprouted out of thin air? Or how about the speculation that Obama hates white people? None of that seems very based on reality, but it damn sure sounds racist to me.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Probably the same truth that the Repugnican smear machine has a long tradition of dispensing racism and other hate-filled, brutal lies in every recent election. You can start with Karl Rove's handiwork when McShame' was running for President against your Traitor In Chief, and they started a rumor that McShame had fathered an illegitimate African American daughter.

It's only one example, but Since Karl Rove is now working on McShame's campaign, there is an added ironic stench to it. :roll:

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

Probably the same truth that the Repugnican smear machine has a long tradition of dispensing racism and other hate-filled, brutal lies in every recent election. You can start with Karl Rove's handiwork when McShame' was running for President against your Traitor In Chief, and they started a rumor that McShame had fathered an illegitimate Arfican American daughter.

It's only one example, but Since Karl Rove is now working on McShame's campaign, there is an added ironic stench to it. :roll:

Wow. You have some REAL anger issues. Learn to use a proper noun that isn't offensive.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

You must be joking. Racism doesn't have to look like the KKK, and there has been plenty of subtle and not so subtle racism and bigotry trotted out by the Republican side of this election. You think the "Obama's a radical Muslim" rumor just sprouted out of thin air? Or how about the speculation that Obama hates white people? None of that seems very based on reality, but it damn sure sounds racist to me.

Not joking.

1) Cite some of your "plenty of subtle and not so subtle racism and bigotry trotted out by the republican side".
2) I've never heard obama being called a radical muslim... and neither have you. His father's side of the familiy was mostly/all muslim though, the only people have ever brought up "radical" are people like you who try to turn the muslim thing into a strawman using hyperbole by yelling "RADICAL MUSLUMMMMSSZZ!!" as loud as you can.

Obama is a douchebag who doesn't know anything about how to run a country like the USA.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
In my opinion, race has nothing to do with ANYTHING. Neither side should mention race and when you do mention it, you are simply adding fuel to the fire. That goes for McCain, the Republicans, Obama and the Democrats. They are all causing more strife between African-Americans and Whites in this nation. I have a feeling that the distrust and inner skepticism between blacks and whites will only be worsened by this election, due to both parties.

Its a lose-lose really. If Obama wins, there will be a lot of bitter white people. If Obama loses, there will be a lot of bitter black people.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
This is no surprise from Obama. Everyweek he has racists, criminals, terrorsits, radicals pop up in his life and he makes one jive excuse after another (with help from media). Now he tries to accuse others of what he is (Lenin instructed operatives to do so). He's been a typical Alinsky Democrat from the begginning. I saw a quote I like: "Obama's jive talk express - your on the bus or under it."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Not joking.

1) Cite some of your "plenty of subtle and not so subtle racism and bigotry trotted out by the republican side".
2) I've never heard obama being called a radical muslim... and neither have you. His father's side of the familiy was mostly/all muslim though, the only people have ever brought up "radical" are people like you who try to turn the muslim thing into a strawman using hyperbole by yelling "RADICAL MUSLUMMMMSSZZ!!" as loud as you can.

Obama is a douchebag who doesn't know anything about how to run a country like the USA.

You and Butterbean should get together and host a show.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
reuters

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) - Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama said on Friday he expects Republicans to highlight the fact that he is black as part of an effort to make voters afraid of him.

"It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy," Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. "We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid.

"They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

He said he was also set for Republicans to say "he's got a feisty wife," in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

"We know the strategy because they've already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn't moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us," he said.

Obama, born to a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, has cast himself as a candidate who can bridge divides within the country, including those involving race.

It has been rare for him to bring up the topic during his presidential bid. In March he gave a widely praised speech on the subject after receiving criticism over racially charged comments by his longtime pastor.

Obama, who faces Republican John McCain in the November election, would be the first black U.S. president.

What a douchebag. Wait, that wasn't racist was it?

So repeating things the republicans have done already and in the past is now off limits? Why should they get to start on a clean slate? Last I saw McSame was running on making sure everything keeps running smoothly.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Butterbean

I saw a quote I like: "Obama's jive talk express - your on the bus or under it."

Noting the lack of ANY credible attribution for the term, "jive talk express," I searched Google for it and found it's from certifiable Bushwhacko sycophant whore, Michelle Malkin in Bill Krystol's Bushwhacko sycophant rag, "The National Review."

Credibility: 0/10

The fact that you spewed that term with nothing to substantiate it says a lot about the value of your opinions and motives, none of which is good. :thumbsdown:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So, is Obama lying? I don't think so.

Is it racist to talk candidly and factually about oneself and how he accurately perceives the oppostion will attack him relying on the documented past practices of the Repub spin machine? Maybe only to a racist who can't see things any other way, or maybe to a detractor that by his own acts of sensationalism commits that which he accuses Obama of.

Was it Obama's intent to inject racism into his campaign the way the OP is describing? Obama is not that stupid, nor is he a racist that some would like to paint him utilizing the traditional republican practice of issuing insinuation and slanted commentary. Obama's history is proof in and of itself that he is not a racist.

I say let common sense and objectivity prevail. It usually leads to the truth of the matter at hand.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Hardly pre-emptive.... racism has already played a large role in this campaign. The neo-nazis, like Butterbean and Socio on this board, have been out in force for months now spreading outrageous race-based anti-Obama propaganda.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
they managed to frame Bill Clinton as a racist, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same to McCain.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey

I saw a quote I like: "Obama's jive talk express - your on the bus or under it."

Noting the lack of ANY credible attribution for the term, "jive talk express," I searched Google for it and found it's from certifiable Bushwhacko sycophant whore, Michelle Malkin in Bill Krystol's Bushwhacko sycophant rag, "The National Review."

Credibility: 0/10

The fact that you spewed that term with nothing to substantiate it says a lot about the value of your opinions and motives, none of which is good. :thumbsdown:

You're the perfect moderator for this forum.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
This was unusual remark for Obama to make. The first I recall him unilaterally interjecting race into the campaign/election.

Something's up. It was done for a purpose; it was no accident.

I, too, have gotten a perception of "pre-emptive" complaints of unfair campaign practices in the last 10 days or so. Mostly it's been from some in the MSM (KO, Dan A etc), now Obama's playing the game - pre-emptively warning of the use of racism against him.

Another tactic/comment from him lately I don't much care for.

Fern

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
they managed to frame Bill Clinton as a racist, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same to McCain.

McShame has already ducked out of taking any responsiblity for the bullshit to be expected from the Repugnican smear machine.

John McCain: ?I can?t be a referee?

Drops 2004 crusade against ?527? attack ads

By Hillary Chabot
Thursday, June 12, 2008

GOP presidential contender John McCain says he can?t control every attack ad aimed at Democrat Barack Obama and fully expects he?ll face a similar barrage, sounding the bell for a raucous general election brawl.

?I can?t be a referee of every spot run on television,? McCain told the Herald in an exclusive interview. ?I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments, but we all know there are groups who want to attack me.?

The Arizona senator?s hands-off posture on attack ads by now-infamous tax-free and unaccountable political groups called 527s marks a softening of his view on the negative campaign tactic - and opens the door to a no-holds-barred five-month scramble.

In 2004, McCain strongly condemned 527 ads attacking then-Democratic presidential contender John Kerry?s war record.

When ?The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth? released high-impact ads attacking Kerry?s actions in Vietnam, McCain - also a decorated war veteran - called the ads ?dishonest and dishonorable? and urged fellow Republican President Bush to condemn the ads as well.

The Swift Boat Veterans was a 527 group, which are tax-exempt entities who don?t have to answer to federal or state political finance committees, allowing candidates who gain by the ads to claim no involvement in them.
(continues)

Every day, with each and every flip flop, McShame is more and more the clone of his Traitor In Chief.

Originally posted by: rezinn

You're the perfect moderator for this forum.

Thanks. Glad you noticed. :wine: :thumbsup: :cool:

I'm posting in this thread, not moderating in it. If you have a problem, call a mod who isn't posting, here. You might want to call the wahmbulance, too. :p

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
This is no surprise from Obama. Everyweek he has racists, criminals, terrorsits, radicals pop up in his life and he makes one jive excuse after another (with help from media). Now he tries to accuse others of what he is (Lenin instructed operatives to do so). He's been a typical Alinsky Democrat from the begginning. I saw a quote I like: "Obama's jive talk express - your on the bus or under it."

Duwelon, how's this for an example? You think Butterbean would have described white politician excuses as "jive"? Come on...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
This was unusual remark for Obama to make. The first I recall him unilaterally interjecting race into the campaign/election.

Something's up. It was done for a purpose; it was no accident.

I, too, have gotten a perception of "pre-emptive" complaints of unfair campaign practices in the last 10 days or so. Mostly it's been from some in the MSM (KO, Dan A etc), now Obama's playing the game - pre-emptively warning of the use of racism against him.

Another tactic/comment from him lately I don't much care for.

Fern

And if Obama were the first to have brought up race, you would have a point. But race long ago became part of this election, even if it wasn't in as blatant a way as those idiot voters in West Virginia did.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Like John McCain has never called Asians "gooks"?

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari

I remember an incident where John McCain refered to his Vietnamese prison guards as gooks (the guards who held him captive for over 5 years and brutally tortured him).

I haven't seen or heard of him calling all Asians gooks but it wouldn't surprise me if the "New Kind of Politics" campaign were planning to use video of the above mentioned incident to try and paint McCain as racist against Asians in general.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: Dari

I remember an incident where John McCain refered to his Vietnamese prison guards as gooks (the guards who held him captive for over 5 years and brutally tortured him).

I haven't seen or heard of him calling all Asians gooks but it wouldn't surprise me if the "New Kind of Politics" campaign were planning to use video of the above mentioned incident to try and paint McCain as racist against Asians in general.

Still waiting for that "whitey" video?