Obama plans to run McCain ragged across the US

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
This is going to be one of the most interesting, and maybe surprising, federal election cycles since maybe 1960. Can Mr Obama overcome the US inherent racism? Can Mr McCain overcome his close association with Mr Bush and the condition of the Republcian party? Will the Republicans be able to affectively smear Mr Obama?

Obama plans to run McCain ragged across the US

Obama plans to run McCain ragged across the US by Jitendra Joshi
2 hours, 57 minutes ago

Democrat Barack Obama is broadening the playing field against his Republican White House rival John McCain with a nationwide trawl for votes that could, if successful, produce a landslide.

Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe on Wednesday outlined the 50-state strategy the Illinois senator is pursuing for November's election, designed to stretch the poorer McCain campaign's resources to the limit.

"We're simply not going to wake up on November 4 worried about one state," Plouffe told a press briefing at Democratic Party headquarters, adamant that this election would be unlike the knife-edge contests of 2000 and 2004.

"We have a lot of different ways to get to 270," he said, referring to the magic number of electoral votes needed for victory in the election.

In 2000, Florida was the unforgettable battleground that handed victory to George W. Bush after much legal wrangling. In 2004, Bush won re-election when Ohio, by a wafer-thin margin, went against Democrat John Kerry.

Plouffe said Obama's "first strategic goal" was to retain Kerry's states. Of those, McCain scents opportunity among the white working-class voters of Michigan and Pennsylvania, and in independent-minded New Hampshire.

But in turn, Obama is intent on flipping Republican red states that have not voted for a Democrat in years, including Virginia, Colorado, Missouri and Iowa.

Two polls in recent days have given Obama a double-digit margin over McCain among registered voters nationwide, although these are still early days in the general election campaign.

A Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg survey Tuesday said that in a head-to-head contest, Obama had 49 percent support against 37 percent for McCain. Newsweek last Friday had Obama ahead of McCain by 51 percent to 36.

But as Plouffe noted, the general election will be fought state by state and not on an imaginary national battlefield -- just like Obama's primary campaign that saw off the dogged challenge of Hillary Clinton.

Much of Obama's yawning lead comes on the back of Clinton supporters rallying behind the Democrats' new champion after the bruising nominating epic.

What interests the campaign brains such as Plouffe and Obama strategist David Axelrod are surveys in key states, levels of enthusiasm for the election contenders, and the extent of their grassroots organizations.

On those metrics, McCain trails Obama, who has become the first candidate since the Watergate scandal to reject public financing for his campaign, so reversing his vow to work with the Republican to preserve the system.

With a three-to-one fundraising advantage over McCain, Obama will be free to pile up advertising and get-out-the-vote operations in far more states than Kerry could ever compete in.

The Democrat is now airing his first general election ad, a patriotic ode called "Country I Love," in 18 states including Republican bastions such as Alaska, Montana and North Dakota that Plouffe says will be in play in November.

But beyond costly advertising, the Obama campaign is also taking a leaf from Bush's book to mobilize local supporters -- a "persuasion army," in Plouffe's words -- who can knock on doors and spread the word among friends and family.

That is where levels of motivation become crucial. The LA Times poll found that among voters who plan to vote for McCain, more than half were "not enthusiastic" about the Republican.

"McCain is not capturing the full extent of the conservative base the way President Bush did in 2000 and 2004," said Susan Pinkus, director of the LA Times poll.

"Meanwhile, Obama is doing well among a broad range of voters. He's running ahead among women, black voters and other minorities. He's running roughly even among white voters and independents."

The recent polls have given Bush record-low approval ratings, and found far more voters identifying themselves as Democratic instead of Republican, which could portend the Democrats tightening their grip on Congress in November.

But historically, voters have liked one party in the White House and another in charge of Congress. Therein lies hope for McCain and his promise of assured

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
This is going to be one of the most interesting, and maybe surprising, federal election cycles since maybe 1960. Can Mr Obama overcome the US inherent racism? Can Mr McCain overcome his close association with Mr Bush and the condition of the Republcian party? Will the Republicans be able to affectively smear Mr Obama?

Will Americans again vote in a morally corrupt asshat? No doubt!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Will Obama have enough money to play this 50 state game? Seems his fund raising has been going down month after month lately...

The primaries were winding down. I certainly wouldn't expect it to increase from March to June. But we'll see how things go.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Will Obama have enough money to play this 50 state game? Seems his fund raising has been going down month after month lately...

Even if he doesn't, he has enough to cover most of the ground. That should be good enough to fulfill his purpose.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Can Mr Obama overcome the US inherent racism?

Please put down the race card. If Obama loses the election it will be because of his inexperience and that fact that the democrats picked the absolutely most liberal voting candidate they can find.

Sure there will be a number of people who will not vote for him because he is half black... but just as many will vote for him solely because he is half black.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: rudder

Please put down the race card. If Obama loses the election it will be because of his inexperience and that fact that the democrats picked the absolutely most liberal voting candidate they can find.

Sure there will be a number of people who will not vote for him because he is half black... but just as many will vote for him solely because he is half black.

How do you know?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

So you admit that there is significant racism in America and then simultaneously ask to put down the race card? I don't get it. Just because the racism is supposedly "balanced out" by same-race affinity doesn't mean that racism isn't a factor. You seem to be one confused dude.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Besides the fact that less than a dozen states will decide the election, opening the argument up with inherent US racism absolutely is the way to sway opinions.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

So you admit that there is significant racism in America and then simultaneously ask to put down the race card? I don't get it. Just because the racism is supposedly "balanced out" by same-race affinity doesn't mean that racism isn't a factor. You seem to be one confused dude.

No, I am saying do not call me a racist if I do not vote for Obama. If you do then it is only fair to label the people who vote for Obama simply based on his race as racists. Since no one will do that... the race card needs to be put back in the deck and not used.

BTW,

"a number" is basically an undetermined or unspecified amount
Significant is a fairly large amount or quantity

Some does not equal significant. If you intent to reply to my posts, please reply to what I have said not what you wanted me to say.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
I guess Obama figures out he can just run him to death literally, that way he will not have to compete with him.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, I am saying do not call me a racist if I do not vote for Obama. If you do then it is only fair to label the people who vote for Obama simply based on his race as racists. Since no one will do that... the race card needs to be put back in the deck and not used.

BTW,

Some does not equal significant. If you intent to reply to my posts, please reply to what I have said not what you wanted me to say.

Please supply some evidence for what you are saying. Most academic studies on racism show that there is large scale and persistent racism in the United States and that it directly influences elections. (For example Giles and Buckner, 1993)

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006

can McCain not have a heart attack before the election ?

what will the Repugs. do if he does have a heart attack ? nominate C. Rice ?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

BTW,

You confused us.
We were trying to decide what you said.
Please be more clear!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Buying the election? The more things change, the more they stay the same :D

Unrealistic expectations FTL.

Try holding people to the same standards.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Smart move. Leverage that monetary advantage and grind your opponent down.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Genx87
Buying the election? The more things change, the more they stay the same :D

Unrealistic expectations FTL.

Try holding people to the same standards.

"Obama's breathing oxygen... JUST LIKE THOSE FAT CATS IN WASHINGTON. Change? LOL."

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

BTW,

You confused us.
We were trying to decide what you said.
Please be more clear!
Do you have more than one voice inside that head of yours? :p

sorry I just had to.

Both sides are playing the race card. I think when Obama talks about race directly he is screwin up. He needs his people to get the word out that Obama will not dictate, or be dictated to, the conversation about race because to him it is a non-issue. And just leave it at that. I think that McCain has enough people that are willing to play the race card for him and he will always have the highroad by simply shrugging his shoulders and claiming he has nothing to say about race.

ie, both candidates need to shut up about race.

Now back to the OP. Obama couldn't have a 50 state strategy if he opted for public financing, if he wins then he would have won because he made the right decisions in overcoming McCain. IMHO I want a "thinker" in the white house, so far I have seen plenty of intelligent moves made by the Obama camp (and of course some moves that were not-so intelligent.) On the flip side, McCains alt-energy strategies have really put him in a good position to dictate the conversation about oil and energy and gas prices...Obama has been in reactive mode to McCain on this issue.

What a great election this is going to be. I will be paying attention to what a "50-state strategy" really means when running for President. I still think the election will come down to 2 or 3 simple issues. Economy, War, and Abortion/Gay Marriage (we have to throw the fundies a bone.)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
In a sane world Obama could go home and study till he's elected.

I disagree. Running for POTUS is like the world's hardest job application process. And rightfully so.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: beyoku
I guess Obama figures out he can just run him to death literally, that way he will not have to compete with him.
lol

Just like how the VC thought they could run down McSame and break him at the hanoi hiton. heheeh

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't think that it's about the money superiority, directly, but rather an extension of Dean's highly successful 2006 strategy. allow the opposition no safe haven, force them to spend time, effort and money on every race in every district. don't let them concentrate on where it'll do them the most good...

Even when Dems lose a race, their infrastructure is stronger for the effort, and it lets red state voters know that there is an alternative.