Obama plans to disarm America?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
again - straws anyone? I have straws for sale - people are apparently grasping at them in high quantities around here.

I think Butterbean the MMA fighter has a higher IQ than Butterbean on AT P&N

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Arms races are soooo 20th century.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The site owner's comment at the OP's link:

Senator McCain, you should grab this video and play it on every ad you can. This is absolutely shocking reprehensible. He plans to universally disarm our nation.

If McCain is stupid enough to follow this paranoid, war mongering jackass' advice, it would only help Obama.

Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Nice wish list he has, good luck at seeing any of it actually happening.

Nuclear weapons are one of the main reasons the world has been peaceful post WW 2. Look at the number of major wars in the 60 years prior to the dropping of the atomic bomb compared to the war since then, they don't even compare.

Yeah... right!... as long as no one else has them, and there are no A.Q. Kahn's spreading nuclear technology around the world like so much trick or treat Halloween candy. :roll:

You really need to go back to the words of Dwight Eisenhower, a much saner Republican war hero than John McSame could ever hope to be. In his farewell address, he said:

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction. Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations. This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government.

We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: loki8481
US recovers its dignity, world respect

when has the US ever had dignity and world respect?

Most of the 20th century.

maybe for brief windows after WW1-2 and when the cold war was really serious business, but I can't remember a point in my lifetime (1981 onward) when I'd say the world community really saw the US with dignity and respect except for perhaps a day or two after 9/11.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
"maybe for brief windows after WW1-2 and when the cold war was really serious business, but I can't remember a point in my lifetime (1981 onward) when I'd say the world community really saw the US with dignity and respect except for perhaps a day or two after 9/11."

That's just a ridiculous statement.

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=252

That's a link to one recent survey for recent world opinions.

As for the world community's view of us prior to that, most of the world was in agreement with us on the cold war - Russia was viewed as the international bad guy, not us...Most of Europe, from WW2 on, was very thankful and respectful of our saving their asses in WW2.

Now it is true that we've never been popular in the middle east, parts of southern Asia - Korea, Vietnam, etc, but India has been a solid ally, and I'm not sure the folks in China used to get a lot of outside news until the last 20 years or so.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Yaknow, I watched that video, and I didn't see one part where Obama said he wanted to disarm America. Then, I read the comments on that site, and my opinion that the rabid Obama haters are morons and fools was reinforced. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you people?
Same here. It sounds like he doesn't want to pursue a policy of warmongering and wasteful spending on useless military projects.

Harvey posted Dwight Eisenhower's speech. I think the wrong people heard "military industrial complex" and immediately got what would turn out to be the longest-enduring erections in the history of humanity.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
How can he want to disarm the US and simultaneously launch attacks in Pakistan against AQ/OBL should the beloved patriot's not act?

typical pub "dems are anti-military pacifists" fear mongering

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Um, reagan actually wanted to have a world without nukes, too. I kind of like the idea. He didn't say he'd disarm or give up or avoid the grade seven lesson about MAD.