Obama picks up major PA endorsement

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Forget Casey. Forget Rendell.

Obama picked up one of the biggest endorsements in western PA that he could have gotten.....

Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney on Monday endorsed Democratic Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid.

In a statement, the 75-year-old Rooney said endorsing political candidates is not something he regularly does.

''As a grandfather and a citizen of this community, I think Barack Obama's thoughtful, strategic approach is important to America,'' Rooney said. ``When I hear how excited young people seem to be when they talk about this man, I believe he will do what is best for them, which is to inspire them to be great Americans.''

The Obama campaign said the Illinois senator and Rooney met Monday after Obama spoke at a meeting of the Alliance for American Manufacturing. Obama's Democratic rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, also addressed the gathering.

Last month, former Steelers running backs Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis also endorsed Obama.

Very few people carry the weight that Rooney does in the Pgh region (or maybe even all of PA). This might give Obama a pretty big bump if he is able to get Rooney to a couple of campaign stops in the next few days before the primary.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
What's this fellow done besides chair the steelers? I do hope that idiots aren't going to be swayed by what the chair of a sports team tells them to do unless he has other credentials.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
We need a 'happy dance' emoticon.

The Steelers are a HUGE source of pride for people in PA. Getting a rare endorsement from the team's chairman will be enough to get Obama's name in the spotlight again in a more positive light.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nice. Information has trickled up to some of us elite that the bitter also like football.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Blah blah blah, excited young people, blah blah blah, inspire blah blah.
This guy is a typical Obama supporter who thinks this country's problems are psychological and can be solved with some excitement and inspiration.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
What's this fellow done besides chair the steelers? I do hope that idiots aren't going to be swayed by what the chair of a sports team tells them to do unless he has other credentials.

Like it or not sports are a big deal to some people and the NFL is the most popular sport in this country right now. IMO those 'idiots' you speak of who would be swayed by Rooney are no worse than the ones who vote (R) because their preacher says same sex marriage, fetal stem cell research, and abortion are against god.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
This guy is a typical Obama supporter who thinks this country's problems are psychological and can be solved with some excitement and inspiration.

actually this isn't the first time Pennsylvanians have tried to use a Steeler to swing an election. See last years Governor Race. The only thing Randell had against him was he was facing a former Steeler.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

:roll: Why do I have a feeling if he endorsed Clinton your tune would change?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Robor

Like it or not sports are a big deal to some people and the NFL is the most popular sport in this country right now. IMO those 'idiots' you speak of who would be swayed by Rooney are no worse than the ones who vote (R) because their preacher says same sex marriage, fetal stem cell research, and abortion are against god.

That is an excellent reason to have super delegates.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Because you are a typical Obama supporter who gets a feeling about a lot of things.
Ahh what a feeling.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Serious question: What are you going to say if (when?) Obama overtakes Clinton in SD's as well?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Hilary just needs to get the Giants to stomp on them squeelers again, where's Eli when you need him.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004

Tell me how much YOU can get done when you are depressed and downtrodden? Don't get me wrong, I know it takes more than just excitement, but motivation does go a long way.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, it was thoughtful of Obama to insult a large chunk of Pennsylvania's population in front of Millionaires Row in California, Mr. Rooney. How thoughtful of you to notice!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
We need a 'happy dance' emoticon.

The Steelers are a HUGE source of pride for people in PA. Getting a rare endorsement from the team's chairman will be enough to get Obama's name in the spotlight again in a more positive light.

Maybe in WESTERN PA. Screw the Steelers. I spent my whole childhood in Philly cheering for the Eagles, and I always had to listen to people talk about all the Super Bowls those jackasses had won. They are my third most hated team behind the Colts, and any football team Eli Manning is on. (this would include pee-wee football league teams he might make some sort of celebrity guest appearance on... sorry kids.)

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001

Serious question: What are you going to say if (when?) Obama overtakes Clinton in SD's as well?

That will be an excellent reason to have ultra delegates.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Bird222

Tell me how much YOU can get done when you are depressed and downtrodden? Don't get me wrong, I know it takes more than just excitement, but motivation does go a long way.

senseamp is as big a clown as any he criticizes here. He is as full of excitement and inspiration for his beloved Clinton as anybody is for Obama but with bitterness because she is losing. His support for her is nothing more or less than emotional too, but based in his opinion on solid reasoning, that is to say, reasoning emotionally appealing to his position. His opinions are as irrational and emotionally driven as anybody else's.

The facts are, in my opinion, that those whose emotional feelings best accord with the will of God will be victorious in the end, because it's the will of God that will happen by definition. It is just a question, then, as to whose inspiration is true, the way of the Tao, the way of breath, the way of life. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
OMG! Yet another prominent local business leader endorsed Obama! Clearly another reason not to support this anti-business ultra-liberal demagogue! ;)

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Because you are a typical Obama supporter who gets a feeling about a lot of things.
Ahh what a feeling.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Ahh what a feeling.

don't fight it.

give into your feelings and maybe you'll feel how desperately this country is crying out for Change and realize that Obama is the only one who can deliver us.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

Ahh what a feeling.

don't fight it.

give into your feelings and maybe you'll feel how desperately this country is crying out for Change and realize that Obama is the only one who can deliver us.

Oh no, that's what the Sith would say.

My faith in Obama is his faith in me.

You can't imitate what you do not understand.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
"The unchanged margin does not come as a great surprise. Obama?s remark was made public Friday afternoon, leaving only two days to permeate the public."