Obama Orders Pay Raise for Biden, Members of Congress, Federal Workers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The usual obama pos supporters come in and defend him, These guys are paid by TAX DOLLARS and they already earn too much especially when they steal from Americans.

Imagine the outrage if bush did this

If Bush gave public employees pay raises that would have been a good thing...and he would have got much praise.

But no, instead he was cutting taxes for his millionaire friends instead.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Sactoking that is incorrect. The cbo estimates that after the taxes, etc are factored in the ACA will have a net positive impact on the deficit.

The way the CBO is mandated to run the numbers combined with the way that Congress, imho purposely, writes laws makes most of their estimates fundamentally flawed.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well in my world pay raises are based on how well we do our jobs. Based on our government officials performance over the past 3 years I find it difficult to convince myself that they have earned a raise. In fact in my world 3 consecutive years of perfomance like our current elected officials would pretty much guarantee a termination. I am all for rewarding good work but that group deserves to be fired not given a raise.

Nov 8, 2012
The usual obama pos supporters come in and defend him, These guys are paid by TAX DOLLARS and they already earn too much especially when they steal from Americans.

Imagine the outrage if bush did this

It's funny considering there is tons of real world business experience showing CEO's that take a $1 paycheck temporarly when the company is in need of financial help.

Needless to say, I think we can say that our country is in that situation as well. What could be earned respect is just me nodding with the eyes rolled back into my head saying "Not surprised". People defending this action? Head in the ass, and ass in the sand.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's funny considering there is tons of real world business experience showing CEO's that take a $1 paycheck temporarly when the company is in need of financial help.

Needless to say, I think we can say that our country is in that situation as well. What could be earned respect is just me nodding with the eyes rolled back into my head saying "Not surprised". People defending this action? Head in the ass, and ass in the sand.

Wait... so people who are enormously wealthy can afford to grandstand by deferring their compensation packages? Or not deferring them much at all, by just taking it all as a whopper bonus at the end of the year?

And you fell for that? You think that's meaningful in the context of civil service pay, and a token .5% over 3 years?

Perhaps you're projecting your own cranio-rectal infarction situation onto others, huh?

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
As a federal work all i can say is im happy to be at least getting .5%...it is better than zero after all.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
A lot of these workers are overpaid and dont even do that much. Why do you think he gave them a pay raise? So they would vote for democrats

Still cant believe people are defending obama

Go troll somewhere else dumbass. You have to be the biggest pos in this forum. Many of these folks receiving this tiny pay raise are Christians, you should be happy for them. The Muslim is not keeping them down anymore.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I like how close-minded some of you are. Federal employees are not simply congressman or other bill pushers. You forget that a lot of government employees work in engineering, healthcare, and municipal services. Yes, the congressmen will get a pay raise too, but these guys don't make their money off their salary. You have plenty of people who make a living day to day in the federal government, just like the rest of the normal population. Saying that these people don't put in their 40 hours a week, that they can't deserve a pay raise that's less than inflation is completely unfair to all those who make an honest living.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I found out from my friend who's a federal worker that they do get step increases. So there's not really a pay freeze unless you're at the top step of your pay grade.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Congress should give back about 1/2 of their money because they aren't worth a dime. As for Biden, same. For general federal workers though, this is peanuts of a raise compared to the private sector. Other than Congress and Biden, 404 - pissed off not found.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Obama cannot order Congress to spend money. The government is not designed to allow him to do that.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Obama cannot order Congress to spend money. The government is not designed to allow him to do that.
Federal pay cost-of-living adjustments are based on a bizarre set of laws designed to allow the politicians involved to avoid as much responsibility as possible. Federal law requires federal pay to be adjusted to match wages in the private sector for comparable work/responsibility. The law includes a method for making this determination. The President is given authority to override the market adjustment and set cost of living adjustments arbitrarily if the President deems it in the public interest to do so. Using the method prescribed in law to set the COLA for federal salaries, current salaries would have to be boosted by about 30% to bring them inline with private sector pay. There, of course, is great disagreement over whether or not the method prescribed in law is reasonable but that is a separate debate. What Obama's order did was use his lawful authority to override the COLA determination based on the method prescribed in law and set a lower COLA, in this case 0.5%. This is how he implemented the pay freeze of the last three years as well.

Congress could choose to not fund the COLA leaving the agencies to figure out how to cut their budgets in other ways to stay in line with appropriations.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Thats a very low increase. I am sure private employed people get atleast 3x higher. So whats the problem again? The public workers will get a realwage decrease, not an increse when you count in inflation. So their wages actually goes down in terms of what they can buy for it.

There would be plenty of money if the rich people didnt pay less tax than the poor (Or simply avoid it by loopholes). And companies directly avoiding tax at all.

Its always wierd for me to see the very anti government attitude in america.

Last edited:

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Yes, they already make too much for doing little to nothing. If any of these asshats performed similarly in the private sector they would all be fired.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Yes, they already make too much for doing little to nothing. If any of these asshats performed similarly in the private sector they would all be fired.

Thats a common misconception. Grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.

Apr 27, 2012
The public sector doesn't work like that, performance/results aren't needed unlike in the private sector.

Agreed. The amount of incompetence is just insane, most of them dont even care that they are restricting freedom and dont care about the rest of Americans.