Obama Orders Pay Raise for Biden, Members of Congress, Federal Workers

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by GTaudiophile, Dec 29, 2012.

1. OrByte

OrByte Diamond Member

If Bush gave public employees pay raises that would have been a good thing...and he would have got much praise.

But no, instead he was cutting taxes for his millionaire friends instead.

2. Darwin333

Darwin333 Lifer

Shrug, when some of those employees are the actual cause of said inflation it doesn't really register on my give-a-shit-o-meter.

3. Darwin333

Darwin333 Lifer

The way the CBO is mandated to run the numbers combined with the way that Congress, imho purposely, writes laws makes most of their estimates fundamentally flawed.

4. NesuD

NesuD Diamond Member

Well in my world pay raises are based on how well we do our jobs. Based on our government officials performance over the past 3 years I find it difficult to convince myself that they have earned a raise. In fact in my world 3 consecutive years of perfomance like our current elected officials would pretty much guarantee a termination. I am all for rewarding good work but that group deserves to be fired not given a raise.

5. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

Stop quoting him and put him on ignore, please. The guy spends his life in P&N, posting nothing but stupidity.

6. s0me0nesmind1

s0me0nesmind1 Diamond Member

It's funny considering there is tons of real world business experience showing CEO's that take a $1 paycheck temporarly when the company is in need of financial help.

Needless to say, I think we can say that our country is in that situation as well. What could be earned respect is just me nodding with the eyes rolled back into my head saying "Not surprised". People defending this action? Head in the ass, and ass in the sand.

7. Jhhnn

Jhhnn Lifer

Wait... so people who are enormously wealthy can afford to grandstand by deferring their compensation packages? Or not deferring them much at all, by just taking it all as a whopper bonus at the end of the year?

And you fell for that? You think that's meaningful in the context of civil service pay, and a token .5% over 3 years?

Perhaps you're projecting your own cranio-rectal infarction situation onto others, huh?

8. velillen

velillen Platinum Member

As a federal work all i can say is im happy to be at least getting .5%...it is better than zero after all.

9. shabby

shabby Diamond Member

The public sector doesn't work like that, performance/results aren't needed unlike in the private sector.

10. Jhhnn

Jhhnn Lifer

And you believe that why, exactly? Rush said so, or what?

11. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Go troll somewhere else dumbass. You have to be the biggest pos in this forum. Many of these folks receiving this tiny pay raise are Christians, you should be happy for them. The Muslim is not keeping them down anymore.

12. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Yep. The troll had no problem with the pay raises when Bush was in office. What a fucktard.

13. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

I like how close-minded some of you are. Federal employees are not simply congressman or other bill pushers. You forget that a lot of government employees work in engineering, healthcare, and municipal services. Yes, the congressmen will get a pay raise too, but these guys don't make their money off their salary. You have plenty of people who make a living day to day in the federal government, just like the rest of the normal population. Saying that these people don't put in their 40 hours a week, that they can't deserve a pay raise that's less than inflation is completely unfair to all those who make an honest living.

14. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

I found out from my friend who's a federal worker that they do get step increases. So there's not really a pay freeze unless you're at the top step of your pay grade.

15. ElMonoDelMar

ElMonoDelMar Senior member

You were the one that brought Bush up...

16. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

Congress should give back about 1/2 of their money because they aren't worth a dime. As for Biden, same. For general federal workers though, this is peanuts of a raise compared to the private sector. Other than Congress and Biden, 404 - pissed off not found.

17. cybrsage

cybrsage Lifer

Obama cannot order Congress to spend money. The government is not designed to allow him to do that.

18. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

Federal pay cost-of-living adjustments are based on a bizarre set of laws designed to allow the politicians involved to avoid as much responsibility as possible. Federal law requires federal pay to be adjusted to match wages in the private sector for comparable work/responsibility. The law includes a method for making this determination. The President is given authority to override the market adjustment and set cost of living adjustments arbitrarily if the President deems it in the public interest to do so. Using the method prescribed in law to set the COLA for federal salaries, current salaries would have to be boosted by about 30% to bring them inline with private sector pay. There, of course, is great disagreement over whether or not the method prescribed in law is reasonable but that is a separate debate. What Obama's order did was use his lawful authority to override the COLA determination based on the method prescribed in law and set a lower COLA, in this case 0.5%. This is how he implemented the pay freeze of the last three years as well.

Congress could choose to not fund the COLA leaving the agencies to figure out how to cut their budgets in other ways to stay in line with appropriations.

19. dmcowen674

dmcowen674 No Lifer

Bush did do it dumb ass.

20. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Thats a very low increase. I am sure private employed people get atleast 3x higher. So whats the problem again? The public workers will get a realwage decrease, not an increse when you count in inflation. So their wages actually goes down in terms of what they can buy for it.

There would be plenty of money if the rich people didnt pay less tax than the poor (Or simply avoid it by loopholes). And companies directly avoiding tax at all.

Its always wierd for me to see the very anti government attitude in america.

#45 ShintaiDK, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  21. shabby

shabby Diamond Member

22. conehead433

conehead433 Diamond Member

Yes, they already make too much for doing little to nothing. If any of these asshats performed similarly in the private sector they would all be fired.

23. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Thats a common misconception. Grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.

24. Incorruptible

Incorruptible Diamond Member

Agreed. The amount of incompetence is just insane, most of them dont even care that they are restricting freedom and dont care about the rest of Americans.

25. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

You're making shit up, again.