Obama opens up NSA data to other agencies

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Thanks Obama!

Seriously, so many terrerists are gonna be caught now! I bet ISIS is sweating. Seriously.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sorry off topic but man the "kid" who wrote this looks like hes 14 years old. I must be getting old.

alex-emmons-v3.jpg

Alex Emmons
Alex Emmons is a reporter covering national security, foreign affairs, human rights, and politics. Prior to joining The Intercept, he worked for Amnesty International and the ACLU on their campaigns against targeted killing, mass surveillance, and Guantánamo Bay.

Back on topic. It appears some safeguards have been put in its not like its free open access or at least that's the way I see it, Anyway I am not a lawyer and my eyes glazed over trying to read all of the Fact Sheet.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yeah, Trump is going to enjoy having that illegal data to use against Americans.
Democrat establishment being pro-police state is one of their greatest sins.
Means that you're screwed no matter who you vote for.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sorry off topic but man the "kid" who wrote this looks like hes 14 years old. I must be getting old.
I remember when presidents and media reporters were old people. I could have gone to school with Obama :^(

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Yeah, Trump is going to enjoy having that illegal data to use against Americans.
Democrat establishment being pro-police state is one of their greatest sins.
Means that you're screwed no matter who you vote for.

Yep. Neither Trump nor Hillary rolls this back. The only candidate this cycle that would is Rand Paul sadly.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yep. Neither Trump nor Hillary rolls this back. The only candidate this cycle that would is Rand Paul sadly.
I'd like to see Ron Wyden run for president. He seems to have a good grasp on technology, and its ramifications.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
The only thing more wonderful than knowing how much Obama truly cares about freedom with his parting act as presidency, is knowing how much fun Trump will have after he gets his grubby little fingers right up the skirts of all 17 of these agencies. This information sharing will come in handy when they brutally suppress dissent come mid-April, after the country is shut down by protests and Trump refuses to leave office.

Maybe they'll even set up joint intelligence sharing between FSB and US intel, like GCHQ used to have with the NSA! Wouldn't it be great if the FSB and CIA worked together to fight terrors?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The only thing more wonderful than knowing how much Obama truly cares about freedom with his parting act as presidency, is knowing how much fun Trump will have after he gets his grubby little fingers right up the skirts of all 17 of these agencies. This information sharing will come in handy when they brutally suppress dissent come mid-April, after the country is shut down by protests and Trump refuses to leave office.

Maybe they'll even set up joint intelligence sharing between FSB and US intel, like GCHQ used to have with the NSA! Wouldn't it be great if the FSB and CIA worked together to fight terrors?

Is kinda sad Trump has miffed off every intelligence agency out there before he has taken office, isn't it.

He has always known more than they do, of course, his brain is YUGGGE. He doesn't need them, in his opinion, unless that has changed again.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It's insane, feels like we truly are at war with our government. Someone explain Obama's position on this for me. How is this Hope and Change? This is Bush part II.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
It's insane, feels like we truly are at war with our government. Someone explain Obama's position on this for me. How is this Hope and Change? This is Bush part II.

Dubya was pretty much almost the opposite, he relied on the intelligence agencies with little regard to news organizations other than what they gleaned from them.

Or pushed them to provide the results he wanted I suppose.

Trump is the polar opposite, which probably makes it even worse.

He's more worried about Twitter than most things.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Sanders would ‘absolutely’ end NSA spying
“I'd shut down what exists right now — is that virtually every telephone call in this country ends up in a file at the NSA,” Sanders said. “That is unacceptable to me.”
You must go "far left" or "far right" to stand for civil liberties. Be it Libertarian or Progressive.
The middle ground is bought and paid for by Wall Street and opposes our right to privacy.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Didn't realize that about Bernie, score one for him. I didn't agree with his Spend, Spend, Spend policies, but he's a much more genuine person than Hillary and I would have voted for him over Trump.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Read an interesting Defense One piece that suggests we're misinterpreting this action -- that it's just expanding who can apply legal protections to raw intelligence before they sift through it, rather than expanding access to the intelligence itself.

If that's the case, it might not have much of a practical change. I'd like to see how it shakes out in practice, but there may be a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Dubya was pretty much almost the opposite, he relied on the intelligence agencies with little regard to news organizations other than what they gleaned from them.

Trump is the polar opposite, which probably makes it even worse.

He's more worried about Twitter than most things.

Nice sidestep not answering the question about Obama's position,

but if we were to use your logic about how Trump is going to be worse, even though he hasn't been in office yet, based on what you believe him to be,

then Obama should have been much better on this topic based on what most everyone believed him to be on January 19, 2009, after all this is the guy they gave the Nobel Peace prize based on what they believed him to be.

Obama and Trump will be judged based on their actions, not their rhetoric nor the "feelings" of their lackeys...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Read an interesting Defense One piece that suggests we're misinterpreting this action -- that it's just expanding who can apply legal protections to raw intelligence before they sift through it, rather than expanding access to the intelligence itself.

From your link.
With the new changes, which were long in the works, those agencies can apply for access to various feeds of raw, undoctored NSA intelligence. Analysts will then be able to sift through the contents of those feeds as they see fit, before implementing required privacy protections. Previously, the NSA applied those privacy protections itself, before forwarding select pieces of information to agencies that might need to see them.
All the various agencies will now get the raw data, no protections. Before it was the NSA as sole arbiter and violator.
I'm not comfortable with sharing the illegal data without protections. This is a big step up for its dissemination into every day life.
Shut it all down and come back when you have a warrant.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

If that's the case, it might not have much of a practical change. I'd like to see how it shakes out in practice, but there may be a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

The atlantic pretty much shoots down benign intent. It looks like there's grounds for sound and fury.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Ya think?

People need to get over themselves. Big Brother? There's a whole shitpile of people he doesn't pay any mind or care about, people like us.

That or massive conspiracy to pollute our precious bodily fluids, take your pick.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
With a week to go, why can't Obama just leave shit alone? Seems he's determined to create issues for the incoming administration. What an asshole.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
With a week to go, why can't Obama just leave shit alone? Seems he's determined to create issues for the incoming administration. What an asshole.

Needs more whining & mewling. More faux righteousness. I'm sure the security agencies will be pleased no matter who's President, ya know?

Besides that, the grand Poobah of Trumpistan can roll it back his first day in office, right?

Twitter fights are apparently more pressing.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Nice sidestep not answering the question about Obama's position,

but if we were to use your logic about how Trump is going to be worse, even though he hasn't been in office yet, based on what you believe him to be,

then Obama should have been much better on this topic based on what most everyone believed him to be on January 19, 2009, after all this is the guy they gave the Nobel Peace prize based on what they believed him to be.

Obama and Trump will be judged based on their actions, not their rhetoric nor the "feelings" of their lackeys...

I'm sorry, who sidestepped what ?

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-u-s-to-syria-talks-turkish-minister.2497070/