Obama on ILLEGALS deportations.. Congress makes me do it

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Let see, ILLEGAL immigrants = law breakers. US President and Congress = must follow the Constitution and all US law. Do your darn job. Period.

Gotta love this, especially the last sentence:

"I am constrained in terms of what I am able to do," Obama said.

"The reason why these deportations are taking place is that Congress said 'you have to enforce these laws'"

"I cannot ignore those laws any more than I can ignore any of the other laws that are on the books."

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-blames-congress-deportations-181904814.html

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Not directed specifically towards Obama, but does it bother anyone that federal US Politicians, whose basically #1 purpose above pretty much all else is to ensure the US is not attacked/invaded, pretty much on both sides of the aisle willfully has the attitude it's cool we have such an illegal invasion problem? It would seem...treasonous, or at best, dereliction of duty...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Not directed specifically towards Obama, but does it bother anyone that federal US Politicians, whose basically #1 purpose above pretty much all else is to ensure the US is not attacked/invaded, pretty much on both sides of the aisle willfully has the attitude it's cool we have such an illegal invasion problem? It would seem...treasonous, or at best, dereliction of duty...
...and highly profitable to those who use illegal labor.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
"I cannot ignore those laws any more than I can ignore any of the other laws that are on the books."

Unless of course the law in question is the Affordable Care Act, then ignore away.

As for illegal immigration, much of the problem will be fixed if you do the obvious and *raise the fucking legal immigration quotas.* But that would make too much sense and deprive both sides of a cherished goal: hating on brown people for the right, and buying influence from an "oppressed group" for the left.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You know, I really doubt the immigration quotas need to be raised. We allow a ton of people from Mexico into the country each year, and really, they are not anymore special than people from even poorer and shittier countries, if the goal is slave labor. If the goal is white collar labor, there are far better options than Mexico. If we need more labor, we have a lot of able bodied people on welfare that simply can go do the work needed to be done. If it takes 2 able bodied welfare workers to do the job of 1 illegal, so be it. At least they will be getting exercise and be doing something.

I see the raising of quotas as just a smokesreen to allow more people in, illegal or otherwise, without ever fixing our quasi-Open Border.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is no point in doing immigration reform because the President can't be trusted to follow whatever law might get passed. As long as the Kenyan is in power, the Republican's hands are tied. This is why we need to work night and day to overthrow the impostor and elect a right wing Kookaburra bird.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
What would that accomplish? The right and left wings of the same bird flap in sync when flying to the illegal invasion cookoo nest.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
We let in too many people legally already. Ted Kennedy pushed legal immigration because he wanted any Irishman to be able to come here. Republicans like Reagan just wanted cheap workers for their corporate buddies.
There is no lobby for the American citizen.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
We need to go to lowest level immigration, about 200,000 per year to offset those who leave yearly.

And be very selective about those 200,000.

Feb 6, 2007
The same article goes on to say that Obama is outpacing any President who preceded him in terms of deportations, so even if he's only doing it because Congress is making him, he's doing pretty well at it, eh?

Nov 25, 2013
We need to go to lowest level immigration, about 200,000 per year to offset those who leave yearly.

Welcome to 1854, you old 'know nothing' you....

ps how's the Holocaust research working out? Come to any conclusions yet?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The same article goes on to say that Obama is outpacing any President who preceded him in terms of deportations, so even if he's only doing it because Congress is making him, he's doing pretty well at it, eh?

Well, that's sort of like saying the police captain is knowingly allowing 12 rapists to rape your wife instead of 14 rapists to rape your wife. Would you call that good or not?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, that's sort of like saying the police captain is knowingly allowing 12 rapists to rape your wife instead of 14 rapists to rape your wife. Would you call that good or not?

All illegal immigrants are rapists?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

The company I work at is on of the biggest H1B consumers. Why do we give out so many H1Bs?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008

The keywords here are "any more than".

Oh, he'll ignore all the laws he doesn't like... just this one not "any more than" he ignores the others.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

The Obama admin has changed the way deportations are counted so I don't think we really know deportation is like under him.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
How'd they change?

IIRC, we recently had a thread on this.

I think one change was counting people turned back as the border as if they were captured/detained here then deported. Previously the two were accounted for separately.

And somebody posted another change where the Obama admin counts people as deported when Immigra sends them letter notifying them their status is illegal etc.

Fern

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
All illegal immigrants are rapists?

Are all illegals illegal? That's the point. Saying you know there's tons of criminals, know where the criminals are at, and yet, purposefully and willfully fail to catch said criminals, especially when you have overwhelming means to do so, and, when it's like the most primary responsibility of your job...

...isn't a selling point. I think that basically...undebatable.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Undocumented Americans are not illegals.

Only if you redefine words.

If you live here and you are not a citizen then by definition you are an immigrant.

If you did not immigrate legally there is only one other option, that you immigrated illegally.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Only if you redefine words.

If you live here and you are not a citizen then by definition you are an immigrant.

If you did not immigrate legally there is only one other option, that you immigrated illegally.

My definition is based on the pure and plain text of the Constitution. What is yours based on?